System Reboots itself - Error Caused by a Device Driver

Status
Not open for further replies.

pnovick

I am running Windows XP with SP2 and my laptop computer keeps resetting by itself. The Microsoft Online Crash Analysis came up after reporting the error which is listed at the end of this message. I read another thread that is similar to this and did what it said to do to capture the error on the BSOD - blue screen of death. The error is:

IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
Stop = 0x0000000A
(0xRD0CA1B4, 0x0000001C, 0x804C1A6B)
Requiring dump of physical memory
Physical memory dump complete
Check that any new hardware or software is properly installed.

Other information: My laptop is one year old, has been shutting itself down due to excessive heat - it is an HP zd7000 monster with high heat. I recently upgraded the memory by installing a legacy 1GB memory chip into one of the slots that had 256MB chip in it. I now have 1.280GB and the system information shows it as running fine.

== The ONline Crash Report from Microsoft ===

Thank you for submitting an error report. Microsoft is unable to specifically determine what caused the problem you reported. If you would like to try and troubleshoot the problem, please utilize the information listed below.

Analysis

A device driver installed on your system caused the problem, but we cannot determine the precise cause. Depending on which situation is applicable to you, do one of the following:
If this problem occurred after you installed a new hardware device on your system, the problem might be caused by the driver for the device. If you know the manufacturer of the device, contact the manufacturer's product support service for assistance.
Some software, such as firewall and anti-virus software, also installs drivers. If this problem occurred after you installed new software, the software might have installed a driver that caused the problem. If you know the manufacturer of the software, contact the manufacturer's product support service for assistance.
If you don't know the driver's manufacturer and need help diagnosing and resolving this problem, contact your computer manufacturer's product support service.
Updated drivers might be available on the Microsoft Windows Update Web site. At Windows Update, you can have your computer scanned and, if there are updated drivers available, Windows Update will offer a selection of drivers that you might be able to use. To learn more about updated drivers that might be available, visit Microsoft Windows Update.

I had just done an update when this started happening.

"Updates are ready to install, click here" - clicked the icon which I always do, it did its thing and then this started to happen.

Failing at IRQL 1C is hardware errror

IRQL 1C is clock level interrupt IRQL. Your PC has millions of clock interrupt within a day. Do you think this is software error at Windows. Of course not.
Clock Level interrupt crashes only if your PC has hardware error at the mother board or CPU.

Have not tried a restore. Waiting to hear more about the error.

Could the "clock level interrupt 1C" be caused by the new memory stick just installed (which the error started happening after the install of the memory)? The memory passes normal diganostics from the HP web site but that probably does not mean a whole lot.

The probem is very intermittent, once yesterday - I left the computer on overnight and it did not happen.

System event 1001

The new memory stick may be the problem as there have no reliable tools to test the ram. I know a lot of faulty ram can pass the memtest program. Remove the suspected faulty ram is the best method to isolate the RAM problem. If it does not crash, the ram is the culprit. Does you new ram has the same speed as the old ram. If yes, it is the reason.

I want all the system event 1001 so I have better understanding of the error pattern. If you can attach one minidump would be definitely helpful. You can find the minidump at the folder \windows\minidump

Control Panel -> Adminstrative Tools -> Event Viewer -> System -> Event 1001. Copy the content and paste it back here

If you want to know more about IRQL, read this webpage
http://os.inf.tu-dresden.de/Studium/AusgewaehlteBS/Folien/03_Interrupts/03_Interrupts_2c.pdf

Hope it can help you.

The 1001 errors:

ON 1/24/05 and 1/22/05 and 1/21/05 -
The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck. The bugcheck was: 0x1000007e (0xc0000005, 0x805525a1, 0xf791e898, 0xf791e594). A dump was saved in C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini012205-02.dmp.

There was an error 1001 on 1/21/05 which reads:

The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck. The bugcheck was: 0x1000008e (0xc0000005, 0x804de0c7, 0xb37d2cf0, 0x00000000). A dump was saved in C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini012205-02.dmp.

The 21st was the day I installed the new memory stick. The new memory stick is the same speed and specifications as the existing memory.

I cannot attach the minidmp file as the extension is not allowed here. Also I cannot open the file as it says it does not recognize the file extension. I tried opening it with Notepad, Wordpad, and Word but most of it is jibberish. Is there a way to open this to copy and paste it here?

Thank you everyone for the help so far.

Phil

Change the file extension *.dmp to *.txt and you can attach the txt here. Why there have no system event 1001 for bugcheck 0A? I want the minidump with bugcheck code 0A and 8E

Changed the extension to txt and it is still mostly jibberish. When I paste it here, I get a fatal error timed out when I try to submit it to post, seems it is too long or something?

Zip the mimindump and get public webspace.
Go to www.geocities.com - sign up for an account (they are owned by Yahoo - if you have a yahoo account, then you just need
to activate the geocities part of it there). Then use their tools to upload the file. Put url link here

I am not sure how to do what you are asking. I uploaded a file to the website that I can read there but not sure where to put it for you to see?

Also, the system rebooted itsefl twice so far today; here is the latest Event 1001:
Event Type: Information
Event Source: Save Dump
Event Category: None
Event ID: 1001
Date: 1/25/2005
Time: 7:08:03 PM
User: N/A
Computer: NOVICK
Description:
The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck. The bugcheck was: 0x1000008e (0xc0000005, 0x805525a1, 0xb37029b4, 0x00000000). A dump was saved in: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini012505-01.dmp.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

I downloaded the MS debugging software to open dump files. Here is how it opened the latest dump file:

Microsoft (R) Windows Debugger Version 6.4.0007.2
Copyright (c) Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

Loading Dump File [C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini012505-01.dmp]
Mini Kernel Dump File: Only registers and stack trace are available

Symbol search path is: *** Invalid ***
* Symbol loading may be unreliable without a symbol search path. *
* Use .symfix to have the debugger choose a symbol path. *
* After setting your symbol path, use .reload to refresh symbol locations. *
Executable search path is:
* Symbols can not be loaded because symbol path is not initialized. *
* The Symbol Path can be set by: *
* using the _NT_SYMBOL_PATH environment variable. *
* using the -y <symbol_path> argument when starting the debugger. *
* using .sympath and .sympath+ *
Unable to load image ntoskrnl.exe, Win32 error 2
*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for ntoskrnl.exe
*** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for ntoskrnl.exe
Windows XP Kernel Version 2600 (Service Pack 2) MP (2 procs) Free x86 compatible
Product: WinNt, suite: TerminalServer SingleUserTS Personal
Kernel base = 0x804d7000 PsLoadedModuleList = 0x805644a0
Debug session time: Tue Jan 25 19:07:12.109 2005 (GMT-5)
System Uptime: 0 days 9:00:22.829
* Symbols can not be loaded because symbol path is not initialized. *
* The Symbol Path can be set by: *
* using the _NT_SYMBOL_PATH environment variable. *
* using the -y <symbol_path> argument when starting the debugger. *
* using .sympath and .sympath+ *
Unable to load image ntoskrnl.exe, Win32 error 2
*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for ntoskrnl.exe
*** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for ntoskrnl.exe
Loading Kernel Symbols
.................................................................................................................................................................
Loading unloaded module list
Loading User Symbols
* Bugcheck Analysis *

Use !analyze -v to get detailed debugging information.

BugCheck 1000008E, {c0000005, 805525a1, b37029b4, 0}

***** Kernel symbols are WRONG. Please fix symbols to do analysis.

*** Your debugger is not using the correct symbols ***
*** In order for this command to work properly, your symbol path ***
*** must point to .pdb files that have full type information. ***
*** Certain .pdb files (such as the public OS symbols) do not ***
*** contain the required information. Contact the group that ***
*** provided you with these symbols if you need this command to ***
*** work. ***
*** Type referenced: nt!_KPRCB ***

Followup: MachineOwner
---------

I am continuing to try to learn how to do this: I followed the MS directions to a web site that outlines how to use debugger to read hte dump files in a command window: here are the results:

Microsoft (R) Windows Debugger Version 6.4.0007.2
Copyright (c) Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

Loading Dump File [c:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini012505-01.dmp]
Mini Kernel Dump File: Only registers and stack trace are available

Symbol search path is: SRV*c:\symbols*http://msdl.microsoft.com/download/symbols

Executable search path is: c:\i386
Windows XP Kernel Version 2600 (Service Pack 2) MP (2 procs) Free x86 compatible

Product: WinNt, suite: TerminalServer SingleUserTS Personal
Built by: 2600.xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158
Kernel base = 0x804d7000 PsLoadedModuleList = 0x805644a0
Debug session time: Tue Jan 25 19:07:12.109 2005 (GMT-5)
System Uptime: 0 days 9:00:22.829
Loading Kernel Symbols
................................................................................
................................................................................
Loading unloaded module list
Loading User Symbols
* Bugcheck Analysis *

Use !analyze -v to get detailed debugging information.

BugCheck 1000008E, {c0000005, 805525a1, b37029b4, 0}

Probably caused by : ntkrnlmp.exe ( nt!ExAllocatePoolWithTag+66a )

Followup: MachineOwner
---------

1: kd>

To pnovick,

I want A and you give B. This is hardware problem if your information for bugcheck code 0A is correct.

I am using the feedback provided and making the assumption that it is hardware related. Given I had just installed the memory stick the day it all started, this has to be the issue. I took the memory out and examined it. It had a hardened smudge (crap) on the center of the gold fingers on one side. I cleaned the fingers and the recepticle connector and reinstalled the memory. It has not rebooted since but I will give it a few days of leaving it on constantly to see if it is really fixed or not.

Thank you for the dialog on this, it was helpful. If it reboots again, I will de-install the memory stick and install the factory original stick and go from there.

After cleaning the memory stick fingers the system has not rebooted - since 1/25 at 7:08 PM. Fixed.

Thank you

Well, it rebooted again with the same bugcheck error and did a dump file. I guess it is not fixed. I'll have to take out the new memoery and put the factory memory back in to see if that helps.

Put the original memory back in and the problem is solved. The system has not rebooted itself since (1 week).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back