Full Install with winxp upgrade?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone know if I can do a full install on a hard drive that has just been formatted with a xp home edition upgrade cd? Or do I need the full version one?

thexrock

You can do a full install with an upgrade disk, its just going to ask you to provide proof you own 98/ME/2k (dunno if it will upgrade NT4).
Also since I don't have an Upgrade disk for XP I don't know if that is bootable - if it is not, make a win98 floppy and start up with that and cd support. Then toss in your 9x cd and type
CDDRIVE:\smartdrv.exe
then toss in your XP disk and type
CDDRIVE:\I386\winnt.exe

where CDDRIVE is the drive letter of your cd drive.

Difference Between XP Upgrade And Full Version

Both versions are identical except for the fact the upgrade version requires a Windows 98/ME/2000 installation CD if you desire to perform a "clean install. A "full version" does not have this requirement. However, the cheaper "OEM full version" cannot upgrade over an existing Windows installation....only "retail full versions" can.

The software itself is identical. Only the rules for how it can be used are different.

The full version can be used for either an upgrade or clean installation. The upgrade can too, but for a clean installation it requires that you have a previous qualifying version's CD to insert as proof of of ownership when prompted to do so.

Also note that there is a third type--an OEM version. Many people confuse this with the full version. However an OEM version can not do an upgrade at all.

*** Of course there are exceptions where an OEM version can do an upgrade. Reason being, there are a few flavors of OEM versions around eg large PC makers sometimes sell/provide these type of "special OEM" disks with their PCs.

You can do a full install (clean install) with an upgrade version. You will still neeed another version (cd) for it to work.

Full Version XP into Upgrade

Actually "ALL" Windows O\S's have all the necessary files to do full install upgrade or whatever. Doesn't matter if it's an OEM Version or not. OEM just means Microsoft is wholesaling it to dealers at special prices and whoever buys it from them will not be supported by Microsoft.

What determines what a version will do is a couple of files on the CD. These can be edited easily enough by copying the files to your hard drive first.

Here's the bad news: It's been awhile since I've done it and I can't remember how. However, here's the "good news"....I am researching it to remember and as soon as I find out I'll be sure to post it here! :)

mask said:
Actually "ALL" Windows O\S's have all the necessary files to do full install upgrade or whatever. Doesn't matter if it's an OEM Version or not. OEM just means Microsoft is wholesaling it to dealers at special prices and whoever buys it from them will not be supported by Microsoft.

What determines what a version will do is a couple of files on the CD. These can be edited easily enough by copying the files to your hard drive first.

Here's the bad news: It's been awhile since I've done it and I can't remember how. However, here's the "good news"....I am researching it to remember and as soon as I find out I'll be sure to post it here! :)

[Hint] "PID=" line of the setupp.ini file in the i386 folder on the CD. :D[/Hint]

go to this thread or do this:

browse your xp-cd, and find I386 directory
copy all of it's contents to your hard drive in a directory with the same name, like c:\I386
find file: setupp.ini (notice that it has 2 p's)
edit this file using notepad or something. (may have to change the extension of the file from .ini to .txt to edit) and after you change it, you can rename it setupp.ini
inside the file you will find this data:

[Pid]
ExtraData=xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Pid=55274270

change 270 to OEM
save the file.
if you have renamed the extention to .txt, rename it back to .ini
boot from win-xp cd, and tell it to look for I386 directory in your hard drive instead of cd rom.

alidabiri said:
go to this thread or do this:

browse your xp-cd, and find I386 directory
copy all of it's contents to your hard drive in a directory with the same name, like c:\I386
find file: setupp.ini (notice that it has 2 p's)
edit this file using notepad or something. (may have to change the extension of the file from .ini to .txt to edit) and after you change it, you can rename it setupp.ini
inside the file you will find this data:

[Pid]
ExtraData=xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Pid=55274270

change 270 to OEM
save the file.
if you have renamed the extention to .txt, rename it back to .ini
boot from win-xp cd, and tell it to look for I386 directory in your hard drive instead of cd rom.

I believe you need to change one of the numbers in the first 5, not the last three. The last three determine whether it's retail, OEM or corporate. His pid probably looks like this PID=55276OEM. A lot of forums would ban you for posting stuff like this so I'm leery of saying too much.

To answer the original question, YES you can do a full install with an upgrade version. You don't have to install another OS first, just have it's CD handy. You install the upgrade version just like you would a full version. During the install it's going to look for the qualifying OS. When it can't find it on your hard drive it will ask for the CD. You put it in, it checks it, if it's the correct qualifying OS the install continues. You'll be asked to put your XP CD back and the install completes.

"I believe you need to change one of the numbers in the first 5, not the last three. The last three determine whether it's retail, OEM or corporate. His pid probably looks like this PID=55276OEM. A lot of forums would ban you for posting stuff like this so I'm leery of saying too much."

there's nothing illegal or fishy about what you do with your cd as long as you install on one machine only. if you read the licensing agreement, you will see. actually the upgrade version is more expensive than the oem version. the upgrade version sells for about $200.00 while you can get an oem version for about $79.00. the difference is that you don't get tech support, you don't get a fancy manual and other goodies that you get with retail upgrade version. oem version is the way to go. you can get one from here for about $79.00 plus shipping. it comes with cd key and c.o.a. (certificate of authenticity) and it has microsft logo and corporate seal on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back