The Karma System - trial phase

Back to 0 everyone... new settings applied and hopefully will work as described before.
Reputation system now = the Karma system :)

I did look at your other posts, it took until after I posted that before you explained in any rational way why you didn't like it.

I am disappointed that someone that has been here a few years has such disrespect towards our members, calling people willing to give it a shot "sheep".

I guess the forum moderators can see if somebody's targeting a particular person or just giving tons of people bad reputations just for dumb. It seems it would work as long as nobody abuses it.

RBS: You`re entitled to an opinon, that goes without saying, but is there really any need to put it across in the manner that you have?

To be frank, I`m disappointed, saddened and a little shocked that a member of your standing would resort to such derogatory remarks.

It has already been said that there will be teething problems and that at the end of the day, if it doesn`t work it can be changed or got rid of. Simply to poo poo something without even giving it a chance doesn`t make much sense to me. At least consider giving it a fair go, before pouring cold water on the idea.

Regards Howard :(

Yes,
now that the "reputation" markers have been explained a little clearer, I'm not so concerned either... Let's try it!

RealBlackStuff said:
First: it is against the First Amendment (funny it needs a non-national to point that out).

...wait...isn't this forum based out of where Julio lives...in Ecuador...

In a privately owned and operated forum like this one, there is no "First Amendment" regardless of where the servers are located or where the owner is. IMHO, the best run forums are like benign dictatorships. You can't let everyone post anything they like. Forums have rules and for the grey areas the rules don't cover well, admins and mods may use their best judgment.

For that matter, consider that even in a U.S. newspaper its editors decide what is printed or what is not printed. I cannot insist they print my viewpoint if they don't want to. Heh, sorry if this is a bit off topic.

You people are actually discussing legal ramifications? Come on, now!

We don't need a constitutional doctrine to figure out if the Karma system is ethical or not... Just hang in there, try it out... If you like it or don't like that's fine.

In reality though, I know the 'majority' here will decide if it is worth having or not. If anything, it isn't a gauage of member quality, but it serves as a 'fun little extra'. I suspect those who do good things on the forum will get good karma in return, those who do questionable things will get bad karma in return and those who vocalize their opinions and convictions..? Well, on average, you'll probably fall somewhere inbetween. ;)

I say let's give it a few weeks, and if we have problems then; we can deal with them.

As I mentioned before the karma scores were all reset to 0 and the weightings for the algorithm were totally changed to reflect a busy long standing forum like ours.

With that in mind I suggest you use it if you want to, and give good/bad karma points to posts you believe are valuable or viceversa.

Remember though, karma is given to posts, not to people. With this I mean that you are scoring the individual posts people make, not if you like or dislike a person opinion, posting style, etc.

Latest update... the karma system is now fully working and it does not appear to have such horrible bugs as before with the new settings. Still in testing phase.

I like the idea behind it, however I don't think it will work as intended...

I like the idea itself because post counts alone don't reflect post "quality", they only reflect post "quantity". for example... some members may have a high post count, but don't actually contribute much in terms of helping people. on the flip side, some members may have low post counts, but the quality of their posts is very good. please note: I'm not referring to any member(s) in particular, I'm just using hypothetical examples ;)

the reason why I don't think it will work as intended is because the object is to rate the quality of a particular post itself, not the person who wrote it. however I think the majority of "ratings" will be entirely based of somebody's opinion of another member (having little to do with the post itself). but I'm interested in seeing how it works out.

also, I don't know if this is possible, but i personally think it would be better if instead of colored blocks next to the user name, the rating was listed as a numeric value underneath the post count.?

:wave:

A Distinguished Road?

I searched my name and kep seeing this:

untitledls0.jpg

That refers to your karma standing. If you hover your mouse pointer over your karma icon next to your username, you`ll see it says the same thing. If you click your user profile you`ll see a list of your karma. If you also click on your own karma button in one of your own posts, you`ll see exactly how many karma points you have.

Regards Howard :)

How do Karma Points Work?

Referring to an earlier thread about something, I checked my Karma and it said I have 48 Karma points, although I only have ~4 positive karma in my user profile listed. I was just wondering how the "point" system worked :dead: .

You could have made that file much smaller by saving it as a 4 color gif or png.

(Off-topic) You don't have clear-type enabled?

Lol, there are people who actually use cleartype?

But what the hell is the point of the "karma" system?!

Back