Windows XP SP3 Available

Status
Not open for further replies.
You know, it beats me why so many users want to put themselves through this torture for nothing! Another 'quote' from Microsoft said 'if you've gotten all the SP1, SP2 and subsequent updates, you don't NEED SP3!

I use them for repairs and service calls. Service Pack 3 makes everything a lot easier than doing downloads on somebody elses dime.
Try installing a new hard drive, with the need for Service Pack 2 with all the downloads, and all of a sudden, Service Pack 3 is a very important time saver.

agree. instead of downloading 100 critical updates from fresh early SP2 now we only click one SP3 download button and all is settled.

more sweet if IE7 and WMP11 are included though, including Win. Defender.
(but since MS want to distinguish vista and xp severely so that vista sales are boosted all those 3 are not included in sp3 :( )

Microsoft will soon be selling it on a disc. That version is expected to have IE7, Installer 3.11, DirectX March 08, Live, and the other stuff they are trying to push.
The price is expected to be under $10... perhaps $3.49 like the last one. Then you will have a disk to use for installs and upgrades.
Of course we have to test this SP3 first.

Bobby (imo) is correct; For users who are current with SP2 updates, there's no need
whatsoever for sp3 :D

zipperman said:
Could you please explain what slipstreaming is.?
I don't have a Laptop.What improvements are "just fine"?
Have you installed Silverlight ? No problems for me yet with IE7.
SP2.
Northern Ontario is a big place,name the Town,city or farm.:D

Zipperman, you went offtopic there :p
No I will not put my location in here, but I will update it to my profile later.

Slipstreaming = http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slipstream_(computing

Improvement is pretty same as before. I'm referring to lazier terms for SP3 :p
Sliverlight is for replacing the macromedia flash players or any type of flash players. ( At least i think. )

I have successfully installed the laptop along the slipstreamed SP3, WMP11 and IE7, the guide is found in MSFN Forum. Give it a try.

nismo91 said:
agree. instead of downloading 100 critical updates from fresh early SP2 now we only click one SP3 download button and all is settled.

Actually no, SP3 contains the entire hotfixes from XP non service pack to SP3.

zipperman said:
Quote Microsoft,
Windows XP SP3 contains a small number of new updates and should not significantly change the Windows XP experience.
Same as i indicated at nismo91's post.

Latest SP3 news from ABC News

SP3 can cause your computer to continually start and restart.
This problem has been posted.

wolfram said:
I have downloaded today the full SP3 package (316MB), and I'm going to slipstream it. Time to format my PC and give it a try :)

I'll let you know how it goes.

Its me again...... Just wanted to say that SP3 is performing very good (however speed is about the same, faster than Vista anyway), and I had absolutely no problems with it...... hehe I haven't seen a BSOD in a while =)

Recommended download, unless you have an older PC.

I've done about 10 so far, and they're all good too.

So no probs bushwhacker, not sure what zipperman's on about.
Maybe he should read that link too

zipperman said:
SP3 can cause your computer to continually start and restart.
This problem has been posted.
I think this is incorrect. I googled it and saw the ABC News results as well as forums posts and a microsoft support forum thread on it where I presume the rumor started.

As far as I can a couple things happened:
1. Someone installed a prerelease version of it on a very specific machine configuration and got stuck in an endless reboot cycle. Microsoft support thread on it here, probaby where this all got started: http://www.microsoft.com/communitie...643-f20512074b40&cat=&lang=en&cr=US&sloc=&p=1
2. Someone saw this and wanting to be all over reporting bad things about microsoft took it an ran. This was further compounded by the widely publicised pre Vista SP1 update which caused an endless reboot cycle. If you search, you'll find many sites using the exact same wording so they are just copy pasting from other sites, making this problem into something it probably isn't.

Now that was good investigation.

Thanks SNGX1275, because I have heard others say this too, and wondered why?
Well answered :)

I read it

kimsland said:
I've done about 10 so far, and they're all good too.

So no probs bushwhacker, not sure what zipperman's on about.
Maybe he should read that link too

The following fix list includes only the updates that were added in Windows XP SP3. For more information about the updates that are included in previous Windows XP service packs, click the following article numbers to view the articles in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
I have no Printer problems etc.:rolleyes:
I don't need these fixes,so let me decide my needs,you decide yours.Don't post to me,just your results for all to see.
Maybe you do.:haha:

Xp SP3 issues linked to Norton

May 20, 2008 (Computerworld) XP SP3 update corrupts Windows registry, users claim.

They blame Symantec's Norton security software, but Symantec denies connection
Symantec Corp. today denied that its consumer security software,
including Norton Internet Security and Norton 360, is to blame for wreaking havoc on some users' PCs
after they upgraded to Windows XP Service Pack 3.

They blame Symantec's Norton security software, but Symantec denies connection

ComputerWorld said:
According to reports posted the day after Microsoft launched Windows XP SP3 on Windows Update, some users found that their network cards and previously-crafted connections had mysteriously vanished from Windows after updating to the service pack.

"In an attempt to troubleshoot, I tried to bring up the Device Manager, and to my surprise it is now empty [jb: of network adapters]."

MRFREEZE61 reported that he had found large numbers of corrupted entries in Windows Registry... Those entries, said MRFREEEZE61, began with the characters "$%&"; once they were removed, the PC returned to normal.

"I upgraded three well-maintained laptop machines, one with NIS2008 [Norton Internet Security 2008] installed and running during the upgrade, one with NIS2008 installed but shut down during installation and one without NIS2008 installed," said "bighowie," yet another user posting to the forum. "As you guessed, the one without NIS2008 upgraded like a charm. No problems. The other two have the same mess as identified by all in this thread."

see the original article

It doesn't much matter what Symantec denies. Anyone who is repairing computers knows the problems with machines having both SP-3 and Symantec software is very high compared to other computers that do not have Symantec products installed.
There are plenty of issues remaining. HP has announced they will issue a patch to deal with the failure of machines having AMD processors and SP-3... The constant reboot problem that affects HP and Compaq computers with that brand of processor.

SP3 is not yet available here in the mid east up to this time, Just uninstalled sp3 rc2 due to the fact that its slowing down my dowload speed to an average of 5 mbps compared to the orig 30mbps, even sp2 cannot be configured and it greatly affects everything. am using bitcomet ver 0.73 with built in configuration.

Why not there ?

STEALTH429 said:
SP3 is not yet available here in the mid east up to this time, Just uninstalled sp3 rc2 due to the fact that its slowing down my dowload speed to an average of 5 mbps compared to the orig 30mbps, even sp2 cannot be configured and it greatly affects everything. am using bitcomet ver 0.73 with built in configuration.
This is the WWW (World Wide Web) Microsoft is everywhere.
Do an OS update.Mine pops right up for download.
You need a genuine XP version.

Hello zipperman, I do have a legit xindows xp...maybe it will be updating soon now that i uninstalled rc2...anyway, my problem still lies on maximizing the download rate...am using 256dsl signal and its frustrating me..i think it has nothing to do with the server though....

Just throwing in some general (non related) info

I just installed Xp SP1 and SP3 was not available from Windows Update

I had to install SP2
Then all of a sudden SP3 was then available

So obviously (at this stage) you need minimum SP2 to see the SP3 update
I wonder how that will work on the SP3 CD

By the way once all was done, I successfully updated to IE7 and Media Player 10
As I read another user stated that you need IE7 first, but you don't.

Anyway after all that, I still needed to do the dotnet stuff, and then their security updates.

So it still took a while from SP1

You get what you pay for

STEALTH429 said:
Hello zipperman, I do have a legit xindows xp...maybe it will be updating soon now that i uninstalled rc2...anyway, my problem still lies on maximizing the download rate...am using 256dsl signal and its frustrating me..i think it has nothing to do with the server though....

Call your ISP and upgrade your Download speed or have your current checked.
Get your moneys worth.The main thing is you can download.Just get used to
takeing a little longer if your test is accurate.

Call your ISP and upgrade your Download speed or have your current checked.
Get your moneys worth.The main thing is you can download.Just get used to
takeing a little longer if your test is accurate.

FYI- upgrading and getting your money's worth aren't necessarily equal! Speeds will sometimes only check out close to what you are suppose to be getting on a test site provided by the ISP. But using another server, even going through the same backbone, strangely gives a slower speed.

I've been fighting this for two years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back