Best DVD Media is...

Status
Not open for further replies.

pioneerx01

Simple question...

What do you think is a best blank DVD +/- R media? (In the terms of how long it lasts before data corruption kicks in)

Well, you can't go by brand alone really. How long a disc lasts is determined by what dye is used. Manufacturer's often offer different types of discs that are even relabeled under other companies. There are some companies which are fairly consistent though and are well-regarded as far as quality discs are concerned, such as Verbatim or Taiyo Yuden.

Any discs made with phthalocyanine dye should be the longest lasting. Most discs made using this dye appear with a translucent, goldish hue. The data on discs using this process are estimated to last hundreds of years, but since no one has been around that long with their burned CD collection.... Who knows? Brands that I know of which include this type of dye are Ritek, Taiyo Yuden, Kodak and Mitsui. (I'm sure there's others too) Taiyo Yuden is often regarded as the highest quality media.

Azo dyes would be the next bet. These produce great, accurate recordings, but the dye is less stable than phthalocynanine. They appear mostly blue-silverish. Manufacturers still claim the durability of these discs is just as good as phthalocyanine, but it seems like the jury is still out since the dye is inherently less stable. This type of disc is almost exclusively used by Verbatim. I happen to use Verbatim media (mostly) myself and I'm very happy with the results and the price is right if you shop around.

The last choice would be cyanine dye discs. These are by far the most common discs you'll see. They often appear anywhere betwen blue to green and are estimated to last only about 10 years. There's different 'types' though as the process has evolved over the years and the newest type of cyanine discs last up to 40-50 years. The first dye used for recording CDRs, cyanine dye is not very stable and does not produce very accurate recordings. Just about every manufacturer makes or has made these in the past, but its always a safe bet that the $7.00 50pk you've got your eyes on is probably cyanine. ;)

Wow,

I realy appreciate your detailed response, but I Think that goes for Cd's. I was more interested DVD's. I know that AZO is used by sony, but they were purple disks. I have never seed any other color on blank media than purple and I have seen, Memorex, TY, Sony, TDK, Maxel, Verbatim, Platinum,...

So, I dont know now. I am a little confused, but Yes, I have heard that TY, and Verbatim are the "best" DVD media, but still purple...

Oh, LoL! I thought you were asking about CDRs from some reason.

As far as DVDs go, nearly all of them (that I know of) use some form of azo. They are almost all purple, although the shade of purple varies pretty widely. I think it is relatively safe to assume that just about any DVD media will last a very long time, but I don't have any numbers. Assuming most discs are azo, as it seems, you should get a lifetime of use. Also, I've heard of media that is not purple, but I've never seen any.

I've used a lot of different brands and I've had good luck with most of them. I don't know if this is indicative of media quality, but well-regarded media such as Verbatim and Taiyo I have used are dark in color, while 'cheaper' media like GQ, Imation and Memorex have always been light. I doubt the color itself indicates quality, but there might be another reason the color is darker which makes these discs better (Something to do with dye coverage or amount?). The most problematic media I have used is RiData. I have two spindles of RD which none of my DVD burners seem to like. Coincidentally, these are light in color as well. Conversely, I have some Fujifilm media (dark write surface) that doesn't work very well (or at all) in a few DVD burners I've tried. Go figure...

You know, I've also read that the dyes used for DVDs are often proprietary too, so you could end up with almost anything, but I doubt the dyes vary much since most manufacturers probably just stick with to what works (azo).

I use RiData DVD blanks exclusively. Some were recorded over 2 years ago and aside from the occasional fingerprint and need for light cleaning, these have been played over 50 times each with no problems. As long as the DVD's are handled and cared for properly there is no reason they won't last "forever"... :)

Yes I know that if you keep them under lock and key in the vacum they should last forever, but people do not do that. I need the best DVD media that can survive reqular people for more than 2 years. Some people told be that DVD's that I have burned for them 2 years ago have a hard time working, and I just want to wead that out...

Scratches in the plastic coating of any DVD make will cause problems. The type of burner and the quality of the DVD blanks probably will make a difference in resisting damage... Who really knows

I have that same disk that I have burned 2 years ago and it has a hard time working and I did not use it since I have burned it with NEC 2500., but the first dvd i have ever burned I keep well protected and it works like new for 3 years now, and thy are both the same brands, well I dont know...

Maybe I will do a long term experiment of mine to find out...

Yes,
I have seen some DVD's that are very badly scratched that play fine, and others that have just one small scratch and won't play at all. This goes for CD R/W's too

I have tried most brands. Taiyo yuden, Maxell, Ridata, and verbatim. the worst stuff I have seen in the cheapo house brands or generic and memorex, all are made by CMC. I get the best results with Verbatim, using benq and plextor DVD burners.

Well, I have been pretty satisfied with Memorex so far. Not the best one, but good enough. My first DVD is on memorex and it still works. I keep it better protected than declaration of independence, but still it works... I keep hearing that TY and Verbatim are the best ones.

I've had terrible luck with Memorex CDs. Infact I just burned 4 xvids to one yesterday while at work, took it home and 2 of the 3 files were unreadable. This type of thing has happened several times before to me. Although it might not be the media, it may be the ARTEC burner (I've never heard of Artec, I assume its junk).

I've used Sony 8x and 16x DVD-R disks almost exclusively with both Lite-On and Plextor dvd burners (as well as whatever is in the G4 Powerbooks) and never had any problems.
I've had problems with Sony 4x DVD-R and problems (any speed) with HP 8x DVD-R if burned at higher than 4x.

Some of my Sony 8x are nearly 2 years old, still play fine.

I've had terrible luck with Memorex CDs. Infact I just burned 4 xvids to one yesterday while at work, took it home and 2 of the 3 files were unreadable. This type of thing has happened several times before to me. Although it might not be the media, it may be the ARTEC burner (I've never heard of Artec, I assume its junk).

I dont know who artec rebadges their burners from but trust me, Memorex\CMC CDR's are the worst possible media on planet earth. I Lost a bunch of data when I first started burning CDR's by burning it onto Memorex media. the stuff wasnt readable and it wasn't the burner because soon as I switched media, no more problem. I hear that memorex\CMC has done a better job with it's DVD media but I still avoid that brand like the plague.

I use the cheapest I can find /silver
burn movies on high burn data 1 step under
1-877-99c-drom label archive discs usdigital media
fuji tech
for advanced archives I can't afford it ,but the gold supposed to last long time
these above have deep purple color on burn side and bright silver on label side
again not many co's make the disc's
though for some reason there are enough to make bootleg profitable

Well thanks guys for your responses but the title is:
Best DVD Media is...
and so far no solid answers. lol

If you go to forums that specialize in CDR and DVD burning issues you will find that the two most recommended brands are Verbatim and Taiyo Yuden.

pioneerx01 said:
Well thanks guys for your responses but the title is:
Best DVD Media is...
and so far no solid answers. lol

Not all DVD mdeia is available in all areas. The best DVD media is what you use without having any trouble...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back