customizing notifications in system tray

Status
Not open for further replies.

sbruce45

I have changed the setting for some of the icons in my system tray to be 'Always show', instead of 'Hide when inactive'. Occasionally, some of these revert back to 'Hide when active'. I have not identified any pattern in when this happens. Does anyone know of any way to verify that the change has been made? That is, what is changed when the customization change is made? I've checked the registry for changes, and the only change is some Random Number Generator.

It's possible this is spyware. Are you running anti-spyware utilities? I recoomend the following:

• Ad-Aware 2007
  • Spybot Search & Destroy
  • AVG Anti-Spyware
All are free.

Another possibility is that Windows is resetting them to "Hide" because their process priority is too low for active. It's just a guess. I don't bother with the "Hide" feature, why bother? If I don't want to see it in the system tray, I just disable the program.

I use all those anti-spyware programs. I have no spyware on my system. All of the processes that get changed are at Normal priority. I don't want to see the icon for some of the process that put their icon on the tray, while others I always want to see. If I uncheck the Hide inactive icons box then the customize button is not usable, meaning I cannot set to always hide or always show.
What I'd like to know is where windows saves the option selected. Maybe then I can monitor the change. Remember, windows also holds this info for past items, even those that have been uninstalled.

I recommend to all my customer NOT to run the anti-spyware resident shields (background processes) Just have the anti-virus running the in the background. The reason is that all these programs have special privileges under Windows to work deep within the OS. If they all pounce on the same action or download, they cold conflict and corrupt something critical in the OS. That could trash your installation! Since virus are intended to disable your PC whereas spyware isn't (although it can), you need the anti-virus running at all times. Most spyware programs don't disable so just rely on the scans to detect and remove spyware.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back