My computer is lagging big time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Edwin Phate

I don't know whats wrong with it, doesn't seem to have a virus when i run it in safemode boots up normal and fast but when i boot in normal it takes ages to load up 15+ so far I dont know whats going on. any ideas?

I turned off everything put what seems like system essentials basically things like myspace im and msn and aim6 etc.

cpu usage is low but 0-2-4% ive seen it spike to 100 but normally very low and still the computer is unusable.

But did you scan for viruses, malware, trojans? What is your intermnet security software, i.e., anti-virus, firewall and are you behind a router?

well i ran a boot time scan came up clean im currently running spybot search and destroy in safemode otherwise i cant load anything i checked all the processes on my other computer all came up normal.

Avast anti virus free
Zone alarm Firewall free
no router.

spybot found 61 problems all fixed

i really dont want to reinstall again :/ its actually not the boot that laggs its after i load up the regular windows screen and logon to the computers only account that it slows down alot. sorry for miscommunication.

also it seems like the firewall isnt turning on because i see the anti virus icon but none for zonealarm

If you can get online try aand use Bit Defender online scan. Avast is a good anti-virus but my son logged onto a music site and even with Avast, Sunbelt free firewall, AVG free anti-spyware, and a router he managed to infect my second system with a nasty that doesn't want to go.

Also, NOD32 and Trend Micro, as well as AVG all have free online scans. My suspicion is you have an infection or two.

I would suggest getting a good router.

Some infections will disable your security measures.

If you do find you are infected, post on our Security forum here. Also, read the stickies because they contain very helpful information.

strange it just started working normal after like 30 minutes of being super laggy also with uniblue in the speed up my pc suite the privacy protector found 5000 things wrong all in the temporary internet folder temporary internet files\content.ie5\mvol0817 ect.

well that made me think so i went to the internet settings and i found that the Temporary Internet Files and History settings were off by alot

its supposed to be between 8-1024mb it was over 5000mb

already did that its in the web and security section
i was gonna reinstall again but instead i went with the Repair option and i still get the lag. It was zone alarm, problem solved.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back