Failed windows update

Status
Not open for further replies.

TimeParadoX

Every time I attempt to do a Windows update it says failed, I'm trying to install the Windows Installer 3.1 and it keeps saying it fails. Also, when I shutdown the computer and let the updates install that way it just says "Installing update 1 of 8..." and stays there for a minute then shutdown without installing anything.

Is there a way to fix this? Also, could I download the WIndows Installer 3.1 .exe from Microsoft without using the auto update tool? Or how can I delete previously downloaded updates that fail to install?

Any help will be appreciated, this is one of the most annoying problems I've had with Windows.

Description of the Windows Installer CleanUp Utility
To remove faulty updates

Windows Update Not Working.
Basics from MS.
Also confirm Start-->Run-->Services.msc, the following 3 are in "Automatic" state
Automatic Updates
Background Intelligent Transfer Service
Cryptographic Service
Event Log

Also confirm your clock is set right, and close to the correct time (or on the correct time)

Download FixWindowsUpdate.exe
A tool I have used before, to fix Windows Update not working issues

Thanks Kim, the last link you gave me on the Windows Fix is said by Avast! to carry a trojan, although it's probably not true I can't use it. I'll try the other things you linked and tell you the results.

It works, thanks Kimsland. I just had to put a few things in CMD that was told to me through the Microsoft troubleshooter. ( Never knew the troubleshooter actually helped any, most of the time it's just giving you stupid answers. :> )

Thanks Kim, the last link you gave me on the Windows Fix is said by Avast! to carry a trojan
I have scanned with Avast Free edition with current updates (Note: this is just an Antivirus program) No virus found

Are you sure?

I have scanned with Avast Free edition with current updates (Note: this is just an Antivirus program) No virus found

Are you sure?

It was the web client that got it, I downloaded it and before it finished it had that yellow bar on the bottom saying it was infected, so I just canceled and deleted. I got it all working though, so there is no need to download it now. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back