WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR again, and again

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am having a heck of a time trying to figure out why my Vista64 machine is crashing fairly regularly. I went through the sticky items and the website mentioned and still have not been able to figure it out. I have switched out the processor, memory, sound card, and hard drive and am still having issues. I have finally setup WinDgb and came up with the read out a full dump below from the debugger. I have no antivirus on this machine and only have the windows firewall. It is basically a fairly fresh install that is not used for anything except as a media machine. There is no events in the log system right before the last BSOD, but there is a WHEA event shortly after reboot that may or may not help is below. I notice a fair amount of these looking back thru the log.

There is also a CLOCK_WATCHDOG_TIMEOUT minidump in there too. I am beginning to think it might be an issue with the board.

I am not sure, but I don't think it has ever had a different video card in it and it does have a couple of tuner cards in it.

Any help or advice would greatly be appreciated

====It looks like my minidump files are not so mini, they are over the attachement size. Below is the main part of a full dump file.====

--------------------------------------

WHEA-logger event:

A corrected hardware error occurred.
Error Source: Corrected Machine Check
Error Type: Bus/Interconnect Error
Processor ID Valid: Yes
Processor ID: 0x3
Bank Number: 0
Transaction Type: N/A
Processor Participation: Local node originated the request
Request Type: Generic Error
Memory/Io: Memory
Memory Hierarchy Level: Level 0

WinDbg Results:

WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR (124)
A fatal hardware error has occurred. Parameter 1 identifies the type of error
source that reported the error. Parameter 2 holds the address of the
WHEA_ERROR_RECORD structure that describes the error conditon.
Arguments:
Arg1: 0000000000000000, MCA_ASSERT
Arg2: fffffa8004424c6e, Address of WHEA_ERROR_RECORD structure
Arg3: 00000000b6000400, High 32 bits of MCi_STATUS MSR for the MCA bank that had
the error
Arg4: 0000000004080800, Low 32 bits of MCi_STATUS MSR for the MCA bank that had
the error

Debugging Details:
------------------

WHEA_ERROR_RECORD: !errrec fffffa8004424c6e
BUGCHECK_STR: 0x124_GenuineIntel
DEFAULT_BUCKET_ID: VISTA_DRIVER_FAULT
PROCESS_NAME: System
CURRENT_IRQL: f
STACK_TEXT:

. . . . . . .

STACK_COMMAND: kb
FOLLOWUP_NAME: MachineOwner
MODULE_NAME: hardware
IMAGE_NAME: hardware
DEBUG_FLR_IMAGE_TIMESTAMP: 0
FAILURE_BUCKET_ID: X64_0x124_GenuineIntel
BUCKET_ID: X64_0x124_GenuineIntel
Followup: MachineOwner

Is this a self-build? If so, are the components all in the MS approved-for Vista list? If not, could be the reason, Vista is picky it seems. Alternatives are check for latest bios update, chipset driver updates. Next most likely problem is indeed a fault m/b

Is this a self-build? If so, are the components all in the MS approved-for Vista list? If not, could be the reason, Vista is picky it seems. Alternatives are check for latest bios update, chipset driver updates. Next most likely problem is indeed a fault m/b

I hate to admit it, but I had not checked for a bios update and of course there was one. It has now been up for a day and a half and it looks like it is good to go. I have built easily a hundred machines, but I have stayed away from Vista until recently. My experience has been that if you have no hardware issues and at least a couple of gigs of memory, then it is not so bad. I agree, Vista is very picky about any issue at all. I fixed the first one I had issues with (memory errors) and now, with your help, I have fixed the second.

Thanks for the reply,

KJ

well . . .

maybe I spoke too fast. Ran great a few days and came back to a boot disk failure. Basically it crashed again. I restarted and there is not even a dump file, full or mini.

It seems like the bios update must have helped, maybe not, but I was crashing once a day before. I was hoping to see something different from a dump file, but not this time. I will keep an eye on it. Until then, if anyone sees anything in the dump file above, I would love to hear from you.

Thanks,

KJ

so...

Two crashes and no dump. No mini or full. It comes back with a harddrive error, I reset and everything is fine. I am wondering if it is the harddrive controller on the board. I will try the Seagate test tonight. It is a new drive, so maybe I will see something.

No ideas, anyone?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back