Windows XP BSOD - PnkBstrk.sys

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jien23

Recently, i've been having this blue screen that occurs just when i'm about to exit my game, Call of Duty 4. I wasn't able to note down much but i managed to get this file from the BSOD - PnkBstrk.sys . Now i'm guessing this file is from the program Punkbuster which runs when i game online in Call of Duty 4. My hard drive has been formatted just last week and the Windows XP is a fresh install. Attached are the minidumps - I would be very grateful if anyone could advise. Thanks in advance.

Yes, that is a Punkbuster driver file

you should look here as well as the Punkbuster FAQ

I see they just released a new client version just Nov 9.

Make sure your Punkbuster is up to date

thanks for the heads-up, LookinAround.
Actually, I just updated my Punkbuster yesterday and it is up to date. Anyways, i tried reinstalling Punkbuster(not the PB client for Call of Duty 4, but rather the Punkbuster service itself using a setup obtained from their website - PBSVC.exe. i'll post updates later tonight after i try playing the game again.

Update-

Ok, the blue screen came up again, looks like reinstalling Punkbuster did not work. I've gotten the error code from the BSOD - 0x00000050: PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA I don't know if this helps or not.

Hard when there aren't any system specs. But you might find this TechSpot post helpful:
This kind of error is usually associated with a memory problem.
This could be your Ram/ video ram/ or cpu ram etc.
Download Memtest86+ from www.memtest.org
Let it run for at least seven passes and see what it comes up with.
Other possible causes are anti virus software third party drivers etc.
Also check your mobo for swollen or leaking capacitors.
Check the following MS article.
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=183169&sd=RMVP

:( Rats!

Well, a few thngs to tackle it on all fronts:
1. i can take another look to determine if there's anything else i might spot. BUt i'll be pretty limited as cod4 and Punkbuster, i'm sure, don';t release alot of technical data for thier products. But ya never know. Give it my best shot.
2. Contact Bunkpuster and file one of their problem tickets
3. There must certainly be at least one if not several bbs dedicated to gamers and their problems. You might find it helpful hanging out in one to hear what others have done etc. hanging out in one

if i could as you to collect some info for me it might also help by seeing more of the "internals" of your machin4. Also, i don't know if the game starts charging $$ the moment you start it? Point being (if it's a no $$ cost option) to try and collect the info after the game has bee loaded, Running if possible. But NOT if it means a real expense for you then anytime before or after will do.

Check if Windows reports any problem devices
  • Click Start->Run, enter: msinfo32. (It may take a short while till a second window opens)
  • Expand Components (click + sign next to it)
  • Click Problem Devices. Anything appear?
  • If yes, click it, then Edit->Select All then Edit->Copy and then paste into your next post

Generate a DirectX report
  • click Start->Run, enter dxdiag
  • Notice progress in lower left window corner
  • When done, click Save Information button and save to your Desktop
  • In TechSpot, use the paper clip icon to attach the reports. (If you don't see icon you may need to first cick Go Advanced)
I'd like to take a look at the drivers you have loaded
  • Download and run DriverView
  • Click Edit-Select All, then Edit->Copy Selected Items
  • Paste into a text file and attach file to your next post

I have checked the Problem Devices and there isn't anything listed there, so i don't think that's the problem. Attached are my dxdiag reports and the Driverview report(taken with COD4 running).
Here are my system specs for easier viewing -

Windows XP Pro SP 2
CPU - Core 2 Duo E6300@1.86Ghz
Mobo- Asus P5B
GPU - Gigabyte 8800gt
RAM - 2x512mb DDR2
PSU - 430W Coolermaster
80GB samsung Hard Drive

p.s.- i saved the Driverview report as a txt. file instead of copying and pasting it as it turned out screwy when i did that - I hope you don't mind.

The thing is, i do have a slave drive that has been damaged(unreadable) and it's still plugged in to my computer. Well, i'll just try my luck then.
Well, unplugging that drive sounds like a good idea in any case

Other observations:
You're running XP SP2.
- There are a few PAGE_FAULT bugs in SP2 that MS didn't release as fixes until they were built into SP3
- You may want to create a ghost image backup of current hard drive so you can always fallback then install SP3 and see how things behave

Mobo and BIOS
- Asus lists several variations to the P5B so do you know exactly which one (or is it simply the P5B?)
- Point being to double check your BIOS version even tho it appears to be a recent release. But need to be exactly right on version of the Asus P5B mobo to do that so i didn't try looking at that any further
- Is also worth your double checking BIOS settings as well to see if anything jumps out

Pagefile Info
This shouldn't be related to problem but just from maintenance view
=> Is about 1.3GB used out of 1.6GB Pagefile
=> It is a large file which makes me ask: how was your pagefile size defined?
=> It's best to allocate it all up front (setting pagefile min=max) to minimize fragmenting your pagefile as Windows needs to resize it. Note that normal defrag programs don't touch the pagefile. In fact, they can't touch the pagefile since it is in use when normal defragers are running.
=> Take a look here to both see how fragmented it is as well as defragging it

Thanks for the advice, I'll try to update SP3 after i download the file off the microsoft website. How do I create a image backup of my hard drive? won't a system restore do the same thiing?
My mobo is P5B withoot any suffix and the BIOS has been updated to the latest version already(2001). Would resetting the BIOS to its default setting help? or should i just look around to see if any setting seems odd?
Also, with advice from another website, my page file has been cleared and recreated a few days ago(i think this makes sure that the page file is in one piece and not fragmented) and the PageDefrag states that my pagefile is in one fragment. I have a feeling that the page file reading by dxdiag is incorrect as i have set the page file to be 2GB through My Computer>Properties>Advanced>Performance>settings>Advanced>Change. The initial size is = to the Maximum size if that's what you're asking.

update - i think the dxdiag means to say that 1.3GB is being used, with another 1.6GB available? cause my current reading is 251MB used, 2673MB available. Just my thoughts.

Hmmm.. so far so good - first gaming session i've had without a blue screen :grinthumb.
Earlier i updated my sound and LAN drivers from the Asus website, aside from unpluggng that hard drive.I'll keep my fingers cross but if it does come out again i'll be sure to install SP3 and keep you updated. Thanks man :)

How do I create a image backup of my hard drive? won't a system restore do the same thiing?

Just remembered i didn't reply to this (important) question...

Important because you should understand Windows System Checkpoint/Restore operations are NOT System backups!

1. Windows periodically "checkpoints" (yes, backs up) but only backs up key Windows files. This is in the hope that it might be sufficient to help later to recover from system problems. NOTE: Windows doesn't call them "backups" because System backup implies everything is backed up. That's not what System Checkpoints are intended to do (and they don't backup everything.)

2. System Checkpoints have a limited life span. When Windows wants to do another Checkpoint it re-uses space from the oldest Checkpoint. Backups are available until you decide to delete a backup. Checkpoints (while not full backups to begin with) also have limited-time availability. The checkpoint you want may already be over-written.

3. "Ghosting" your hard drive doesn't just backup files/folders but creates an image of the hard drive so you can recover the entire disk image when you run a restore operation. I use Acronis True Image if you want to look such product. (Symantec also sells one)

btw,, hope no news is good news and your crashes are all gone!

Just remembered i didn't reply to this (important) question...

Important because you should understand Windows System Checkpoint/Restore operations are NOT System backups!

1. Windows periodically "checkpoints" (yes, backs up) but only backs up key Windows files. This is in the hope that it might be sufficient to help later to recover from system problems. NOTE: Windows doesn't call them "backups" because System backup implies everything is backed up. That's not what System Checkpoints are intended to do (and they don't backup everything.)

2. System Checkpoints have a limited life span. When Windows wants to do another Checkpoint it re-uses space from the oldest Checkpoint. Backups are available until you decide to delete a backup. Checkpoints (while not full backups to begin with) also have limited-time availability. The checkpoint you want may already be over-written.

3. "Ghosting" your hard drive doesn't just backup files/folders but creates an image of the hard drive so you can recover the entire disk image when you run a restore operation. I use Acronis True Image if you want to look such product. (Symantec also sells one)

btw,, hope no news is good news and your crashes are all gone!

Excellent information, LookinAround, I'll keep that in mind if I ever have to use System Restore .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back