Different startup services for different users on Vista?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andros_Forever

Hello again TechSpot forum members! I am back after many months with a new topic which I have been reaserching to little avail. I am trying to make a "Gaming" user account, where ALL non-essential services are not started up with log on. I still wish for Vista to start all services normally when I log on with my Administrator account. I have tried using msconfig while logged on as my "Gaming" user to turn off all the startup services and restarted the computer. When I log with "Gaming" all services are turned off like I want them to be, but they are also all turned off when I go to my Administrator user account. How would I set my system up so I don't have to change the configurations each time I switch users?

Hello again TechSpot forum members! I am back after many months with a new topic which I have been reaserching to little avail. I am trying to make a "Gaming" user account, where ALL non-essential services are not started up with log on. I still wish for Vista to start all services normally when I log on with my Administrator account. I have tried using msconfig while logged on as my "Gaming" user to turn off all the startup services and restarted the computer. When I log with "Gaming" all services are turned off like I want them to be, but they are also all turned off when I go to my Administrator user account. How would I set my system up so I don't have to change the configurations each time I switch users?
To the best of my knowledge the simple answer to your question is "you can't".

I'll explain and offer what i think might an alternative (but not nearly as convenient alternative)

First off, if you look at system service startup types, many service startups are decided even before any user logon.
  • Startup Type = Disabled prevents a service from starting AND from even being loaded. The only way to start a disabled service is change its startup type and reboot!
  • Startup Type = Automatic starts a service on system boot. There is no dependency on user logon
For XP, the classic approach to this problem used hardware profiles (not userids) to define your services. Then you could at least reboot using different hardware profiles.

But Vista no longer allows you to create/remove hardware profiles at will.

So.. i think the best solution for Vista is creating two different service configuration batch files. When you want to change configurations you'll need to run the configuration file yourself and then reboot.

Use the sc command to change service configuration. And note that while the usage of the many different possible sc command parameters might appear confusing... i think you should ONLY need look at /deal with changing existing services' startup type.

AND BE CAREFUL TO:
- Ghost image your hard drive so you can recover if you;re going to play with this
- Export your current service configuration so you can also have a simple file you can look at to see the original configuration before all your changes

Txs LookinAround, It seems that Vista has botched up another helpful tool that XP had. Too bad, I was looking foward to having a "Gaming" profile for startup programs. Aniway if anyone has any ideas on how I could accomplish something similar to what I have in mind, please feel free to share.

Services are designed to be system-wide so that they run even when no one is logged in. That is why people use tools like FireDaemon to make some programs run as services.

For defragging and some other purposes, I often want to run a "minimal" system and have a couple ways I go about that. One is to use SmartClose. When finally configured, it will close all the programs and services that you want closed and then restart them when you are done. Services need to be in the correct order so that dependencies are considered.

Another program called "Custom Startup" is very useful because you can make "profiles" of what group of programs you want to run when you boot up. Not free.

Another thing you can do is to create a batch file that closes unneeded services and then restarts them. Here is an example:

net stop acrsch2svc
net stop aelookupsvc
net stop avg7alrt
net stop NfsClnt
net stop avg7updsvc
net stop bits
net stop bfe
net stop keyiso
net stop eventsystem
net stop browser
net stop cryptsvc
net stop cmdagent
net stop uxsms
net stop dhcp
net stop dps
net stop WdiSystemHost
net stop TrkWks
net stop Dnscache
net stop EapHost
net stop fdPHost
net stop FDResPub
net stop IKEEXT
net stop iphlpsvc
net stop PolicyAgent
net stop KtmRm
net stop MMCSS
net stop NetTcpActivator
net stop NetPipeActivator
net stop NetTcpPortSharing
net stop Netman
net stop netprofm
net stop NlaSvc
net stop nsi
net stop CscService
net stop WPDBusEnum
net stop "Posadis 0.60.6"
net stop Spooler
net stop PcaSvc
net stop ProtectedStorage
net stop EMDMgmt
net stop SbieSvc
net stop seclogon
net stop wscsvc
net stop LanmanServer
net stop RasMan
net stop ShellHWDetection
net stop slsvc
net stop SSDPSRV
net stop WindowBlinds
net stop SysMain
net stop SENS
net stop TabletInputService
net stop lmhosts
net stop TapiSrv
net stop TermService
net stop Themes
net stop upnphost
net stop ProfSvc
net stop VMAuthdService
net stop VMnetDHCP
net stop "VMware NAT Service"
net stop vmount2
net stop WebClient
net stop Audiosrv
net stop AudioEndpointBuilder
net stop WerSvc
net stop Eventlog
net stop MpsSvc
net stop Winmgmt
net stop TrustedInstaller
net stop WAS
net stop WSearch
net stop W32Time
net stop wuauserv
net stop WinHttpAutoProxySvc
net stop LanmanWorkstation

For restarting, just replace each "stop" with "start".

By the way, NEVER use msconfig to control services. In fact, msconfig should only be used for diagnostic purposes so that you do not need to run in "selective" startup. Use the services console to control services, and use a good startup manager for user programs. Errors in msconfig are also frequent and unbootable systems can result.

Startup Control Panel
MZ Startup Manager
Startup Control Panel (Exe version for Vista
Emsa Startup Manager
EM Startup Manager
WheresJames Startup Manager

TYVM Cybelex! Great response to my query, I appreciate your effort. I find the program "SmartClose" to be the nearest to perfect answer to what I was looking for. I am currently using it and I am very satisfied with the results. Thank you again, cheers :)

TYVM Cybelex! Great response to my query, I appreciate your effort. I find the program "SmartClose" to be the nearest to perfect answer to what I was looking for. I am currently using it and I am very satisfied with the results. Thank you again, cheers :)
Is good to know about SmartClose and certainly use it if it helps meet your need (and it's certainly better to simply stop unneeded services then have them running)

But as regards my answer earlier (where i had gamer's goal of minimizing all resources as much as possible to be available for games) note:
- A disabled service is never loaded so requires zero resources
- A stopped service still requires some system resources even when not running
- Certainly a running service requires still more resource usage then when stopped

• I can't quantify the resource differential between a service stopped vs. disabled
  • SmartClose is, without question, a great idea to certainly reduce resource usage :grinthumb
  • But if a gamer wants to disable services as was done in XP to guarantee it takes zero resources, i think the only option is still a batch file using the sc command to refigure system services before rebooting
But can't tell you how whether it's worth all the hassle of getting your config batch files right to disable vs. simply stopping! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back