Access Denied on hard drive

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello folks,
I am running Vista Home premium 32. I recently reinstalled my vista operating system and now my 2nd internal hard drive reads Access Denied. If I turn off UAC I can get access to the files, but when I turn it back on it goes back to saying access denied. Does anybody know how to make this problem go away? At worst case, would reformatting the drive restore to normal? Thanks so much if you can help.

Its about security and taking ownership of the drive contents, as by default all files are assigned the rights of the previous install, this means your current install has no rights to read the files on the 2nd drive.

Im sure there was a thread somewhere on it, i did do a quick guide for XP but im not sure if the same procedure applies to Vista, here's the link anyway http://homepage.ntlworld.com/judslat/rights/

regards

Information you need can be found with a search for "Access Denied" on the Microsoft website... and are heavily represented with Gurgle searches as well... too much to post here, but generally an easy fix.

Reformatting it will work, if you can reformat. But how can you do that if Access is Denied.
Worth a try.

AS raybay mentionned reformatting is the best solution for that. As when it ask you that Access Denied then you can't do anything except that, even a program won't be able to do nothing.

:wave:

Here's another if you want to enhance the info;

Instead of using the <Everyone> group (which includes remote accessors),
replace it with the <Users> group to allow only users with accounts on your system.
Managing the members of <Users> then manages all accessors :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back