New Graphics Card Installed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fiery_WA

Gday Gents

I had previously installed what was getting to be a very noisy Nvidia GeForce 7600 GT (the fan).

Ideally I would have preferred to get just a replacement fan for the card, but I couldn't seem to find one anywhere.

So yesterday I bit the bullet and went and bought a Palit GeForce 9600 GT (why that one you may ask), simple answer price. I was able to buy it semi locally, as opposed to ordering one online.

That and the fact it uses heatpipes and not a fan.

It is installed my PC is now once more whisper quiet YIPEE!

I do have a question though.

I am running Win2k Pro until the end it's life, then I will be switching straight into Vista.

I play Warcraft 3 TFT, and prior to the installation of this card, when I alt tabbed out of Warcraft, it was instaneous. Now when I alt tab out of the game, the game locks up for around 15-20 seconds before it alt tabs.

My mobo is a Gigabyte GA-M55SLI-S4
AMD Athlon 64 x 2 5200+
2GB Ram

Why has my alt tab speed changed? It only does it when I am playing Warcraft, I know I am being picky, but I am so used to my PC responding quickly, this I find is annoying me.

Any ideas?

Cheers

Susan

Susan,
what are your complete system specs? Computer make and model? Since you are still using Win2K, your hardware (computer) may be too old to handle Vista. XP Professional may be a better choice for you. Are you running Win2K, SP4?

Try using Driver Cleaner Pro to clean out all traces of the NVIDIA drivers. Then install the latest drivers available for Win2K, and see if that helps in any way.

Susan,
what are your complete system specs? Computer make and model? Since you are still using Win2K, your hardware (computer) may be too old to handle Vista. XP Professional may be a better choice for you. Are you running Win2K, SP4?

My mobo is a Gigabyte GA-M55SLI-S4
AMD Athlon 64 x 2 5200+
2GB Ram

And I know Win2k is "old", but I am not going to upgrade it until microflacid no longer support it at all, which will be mid this year.

Then for all the trouble Vista will cause ( I have it in my laptop), I will upgrade to Vista, mainly because XP's life is only four years longer than Win2k.

And yes SP4 is installed.

Your current specs look strong enough to handle XP and Vista at this point. Vista is already in the process of being replaced by "Windows 7"... I am running both Vista and Windows 7 on a single computer. Other than replaceing your video card with a better add-on card and upping your memory to 4GB, you would be ok to run Vista now

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back