Another iPhone worm spotted, this time it's dangerous

Status
Not open for further replies.

Justin

About two weeks ago, the first real worm for the iPhone began making its rounds, infecting vulnerable iPhones around the world. It was a benign attack made many jailbreakers aware of a commonly overlooked (but easily fixable) hole. Another worm for the iPhone has been spotted, and this time it isn't so friendly. It has been recognized as the first dangerous worm for the device.

A blogger for security firm Sophos has issued a writeup about the new worm, indicating among other things it may be attempting to pilfer sensitive information from people's phones. As the worm compromises the phone in its entirety, any information the device has access to could -- in theory -- be transmitted outside. A more noticeable effect will be the loss of battery life, with reports that an infected phone will have a seriously reduced runtime.

Thankfully, Sophos has posted an easy fix: return your firmware to the latest Apple-released official version. While that's not what jailbreakers want to hear, at least it's an option. This also serves as a warning to people who modify their devices; make sure you are taking the extra steps needed to secure yourself.

Permalink to story.

A worm that only effects people not using Apple's firmware... hmmmm.... and the only fix is to reinstall Apple's firmware.... hm..... very suspicious.... I won't jump to any conclusions.... Maybe we'll start seeing virus's made for Apple computers that are running Windows next.... and the only fix will be to install snow leopard.

Even if you jump to conclusions, then what? You can do nothing.

Even if apple is the one behind the worm, it affects "flashed" devices, which isn't meant to work like it.

It's like banned xbox users complaints.

This is not an iPhone worm. It's a "Jailbroken iPhone" worm. You should make the distinction in the headline so that iPhone users don't worry that their device might be compromised.

Suspicions aside, I believe that this is a warning to all iPhone users out there. If a serious threat can be made for the jailbroken ones, then what makes you so sure that your regular one is safe? It's a classic case of targeting those who have the most (the reason my most pc viruses and such target windows machines).

So the moral of this story is, Don't jailbreak your phone! But even if you don't, you still have to expect these things to come out as so many people have an iPhone!

You would think that the people who are smart enough to jailbreak their iphone would also be smart enough to change their default password... especially as there was a non-malicious worm to serve as a warning a few weeks ago.

paynetrain007 said:
A worm that only effects people not using Apple's firmware... hmmmm.... and the only fix is to reinstall Apple's firmware.... hm..... very suspicious.... I won't jump to any conclusions.... Maybe we'll start seeing virus's made for Apple computers that are running Windows next.... and the only fix will be to install snow leopard.

Ha ha... You know it can easily be proven,
reports of various users are showing up on the net with this worm,
that'll be proof that its not a lie.

yet iphone still racks up 50% of the industry. hahahaha I wonder just how many are infected already.

Not all iPhones get jailbroken & amongst those that do get jailbroken, not all of them install SSH & from that even smaller subset that do install SSH, not all leave the default SSH password so I would think not that many.

Yet another reason not to jailbreak the phones or at least to be much more careful if you do.

jump to any conclusion or not, the lure of jailbreak is high, duh? If you're juz using Apple's stuff like a normal average consumer and are happy with it as it is, go ahead. but don't tell us to not jailbreak it, or any "you don't" nags. Some of us simply don't have the access to eligibility to use it "legally". or we juz can't fight the idea of using it to its 100%. but as any other crack-of-sort thing, the key is about knowing the stuff. in this case it's to change the password :)

******....ThErE iS OnE ThiNg ThAt ALL Of YoU MuSt KnOw ThAt IPHONE CaN Be VeRy VeRy DaNgeRoUs OnE DaY...AnD ThAt Is BeCaUsE Of HiGh TeChNoLoGy...******
I DoN'T TrUsT IpHoNe

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back