Help with WD 500GB external HDD

Status
Not open for further replies.
hi im running windows xp and i have a 500 gb wd hd. a my book. it has been working very good. ive had it for about 5 months. the other day i plugged a memory stick into my printer to copy some pics onto my wd hd. then i burned the same ones from hd to disc. disc didnt work when i left. came back and hd wont work either. it used to have a wd icon in my computer now it just has like a regular hd icon. when i click on it it says format now. i dont want to lose my pics and music. tried to use recovery software but it wont let me recover files and put them on same drive. when i go to manage my computer it says c: disc 0 F: disc 1 and both say healthy. i really need help.

did you hot swap it? Always stop a flash drive before unplugging it.
you may have to reassign the drive a drive letter in computer management under control panel.
Try the drive in another computer.

There's many different issues that can cause your problem.... See [post=720762]Troubleshoot: Windows Won't Recognize Your USB Hard Drive[/post]

I'd be sure to start with the first 3
> Windows Update
> Run DriveCleanup Tool
> Unplugging other USB devices and checking USB ports

and continue through the post... If any specific questions/need more help, please post back

OH. I just noticed on "thing to do" is missing from the Troubleshooting post i just gave you (i'll have to correct that!) but also

Check the drive's filesystem integrity
> Open a command prompt (Start->Run, enter: cmd)
> Enter: chkdsk [driveletter]: /f where driveletter is the USB drive letter

Example: chkdsk f: /r
Note that chkdsk can take a looooong time to run and takes 5 passes through the drive. Allow up to 30minutes for pass # and % complete to change before worrying it might be hanging. Cuz you don't want to interrupt it. Let it finish

chkdsk says the type of the file system is RAW chkdsk is not available for Raw drives

havent done the troubleshoot yet will post reply

F; says file system raw for somereason

If Windows now says it's a "raw" filesystem it means Windows doesn't think it's formatted. That implies whatever you had on the disk got corrupted (so Windows can no longer recognize it)

You can try and see if any data recovery software might help recover whatever was on that disk. If you look again at the Troubleshooting post, note item 3 and 4 both suggest some Data Recovery tools to try.

Good luck. Hope you can recover your stuff

tried to run them. they show my data but wont let me put it back onto the same drive and i dont have any other drives big enough to accomidate my files. any suggestions? i really dont want to pay for a program like table doctor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back