Asus AM3-AM3+ BIOS upgrade

red1776

Dividebyzero found (hell, maybe he wrote it) :) a story at swedclockers.com stating that Asus is making some of their high end 890 motherboards Bulldozer compatible with a bios flash. So I looked up bios revisions for my Formula IV Crosshair, and there she is. You have to hand it to AMD on this one. Unless the Bulldozer is a flop, this is very consumer friendly.

Here is the story DBZ posted:
http://www.sweclockers.com/nyhet/13...t-far-stod-for-bulldozer-med-bios-uppdatering

Here is the bios revision from Asus:
Asus_AM3-AM3_bios_upgrade.JPG

Here G is an English version: http://www.bjorn3d.com/news/ASUS_pl..._for_current_and_future_motherboards/227.html

* I was over at AndanTech and there are still those contesting that there is no way BD will work in AM3 boards. I'm just passing this along.

* Sigh *

By the way, G, will you be doing any benching yourself or do you know if Z will?

well J If its a hoax, it's one that is being perpetrated on Asustek Intl website.
I will bench the FX 8130P as soon as I can get my hands on one.

Yes, that is what I'm thinking. I don't think AMD wants to have Asus look the fool internationally.

I really look forward to your work with the new AMD offerings.

G has the ideal opportunity to benchmark with his C4F board. Run as many synthetic and "real life" tests on the present setup (maybe clock the CPU to stock, 1090/1100T levels and OC) then whip the Phenom out and toss in the BD, while keeping the RAM etc at the same settings.

I can't say yet if I'll have the opportunity to do the same. AMD boards (890FX) here are about 50% more expensive than a comparable P67 and on par better-than-average X58's (the ratio is worse for the resell market)- while AMD CPU's are ballpark same price as Intel. Those are tough hurdles to clamber over for widespread adoption locally, so I don't get a lot of AMD system builds

Z, I really do hope you get the opportunity. Both you and red are two posters that I pay close attention to to cut through to the chase and get to the facts.

G has the ideal opportunity to benchmark with his C4F board. Run as many synthetic and "real life" tests on the present setup (maybe clock the CPU to stock, 1090/1100T levels and OC) then whip the Phenom out and toss in the BD, while keeping the RAM etc at the same settings.

You picked that right off my brain Chef. Thats exactly what I am going to do. i will not be able to resist getting an AM3+ MB,(again the enthusiast OCD) but I am going to bench a 'flashed' AM3 C4F on the way out. I am going to bench virtually every synth and game there is. I have a feeling that BD is going to be a rather fast CPU series, and I think getting non-spun numbers are going to be a mess. Memory bandwidth is going to be interesting with dropping them into a AM3 board. Right now somewhere between the 3rd and 4th GPU, I see a CPU limitation as my GPU score exceeds my P score in Vantage. ( I see the same in Intel based SLI machines) I will be very interested to see what these do for CF/SLI machine. Basically I am going to bench everything straight up.

Thanks J, awfully kind of you :)

J, I will send it all over if you want it. Not sure I will post it here, probably just draw the trolls in.

If PCinlife's numbers are accurate, it would seem that most of the BD models should support Turbo mode to 900-1000MHz above stock. How many modules/cores are enabled is another matter, but it would seem that a turbo of up to 4.1GHz isn't out of the question

Back