Quad or hexa-core CPU for gaming?

Alright, so I'm looking at building a budget gaming pc, and right now I am trying to decide between an
AMD phenom II X6 1055T Thuban 2.8 GHz

or one of the AMD phenom II x4 processors. My question is whether a 6 core processor will benefit gaming or not. I've heard that the 6 core is only beneficial in that I can run more programs while gaming, but I don't plan on running other programs while gaming. Also, will a higher GHz quad core processor be better than lower GHz for my needs? I'm most likely gonna be going with the ASUS Radeon 6870 for my video card. I'm hoping my new computer will be able to run Diablo 3 well when it's released. Any information or opinions is appreciated.

I would wait for 8 cores if I were you from AMD's Bulldozer.
Did you already buy the GPU? If not then wait until Christmas and hope to get one of the 28 nm GPUs. Hopefully the performance cards will be out by then.

I doubt Diablo 3 will be so CPU dependant that it works all 6 cores, a quad core should be fine.

The answer to your question could also depend on how future proof you want your machine. Games may or may not use six cores but that doesn't mean games will never use 6 cores.

I remember hearing this very same argument with two cores or four cores and it wasn't long before there was a need in upgrading again.

You might be surprised at the titles that use 6 cores, here are a couple...

X6_Dirt_3.PNG

BBC2_CPU_x6.JPG

I think LP2 and F1 2010 do as well if memory serves.

It is certainly the way game coding is headed. I think a year ago it would have been an "off in the future " proposition, but it will fast become the norm I think in the next gen of games. Just my 2 cents.

Back