i need help Connecting 2 Routers Wirelessly

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have my internet running into a Linksys WRT54GS v3
My PC is wired into this router and I have another PC connected wirelessly

My neighbors can connect wirelessly to my network but the signal is weak (they are about 40-50 Ft away from my router and in another house). they have 2 PC's with wireless adapters and one that would need to be wired.

My question is....is it possible to set up a second router (Linksys BEF11S4 v4)
in their house to wirelessly extend my network?

and if so .... how?

here's a basic example of what i'm trying to do:
(ignore the dots they're just there for spacing)

-home (already set up)...........................-neighbors (not yet set up)-
Modem---Router1 ........((((((( )))))))....Router2 (connected wirelessly to R1)
my pc (wired) ........................................PC (wired to R2)
other pc(wireless) ..................................PC (wireless)
...........................................................laptop (wireless)

I want all the pc's to be on the same network via 2 routers connected wirelessly.... R1 has the internet connection

If anyone can help or knows anything about this please take the time to reply, I'm basically setting the 2nd Router up to extend my range and add a wired computer to the network at another house.

Wirelessly a router will communicate only with a wireless adapter ,or an extender ,with extender I mean a wirelss access point,which means in the neighbours house u need a wireless access point,or if the routers has a powerline feature u can connect two routers on a single electrical circuit ,but no wireless for the routers to communicate with each other.
In your case try the access point it should work in place of a rotuer and that way u will also have all the pcs on the same network.

Before you do anything like that, clear up who's going to pay the bill for the ISP, who's paying for repairs if any, and who is responsible when the network goes down for whatever reason!
What you try is not very advisable (actually it's plain stupid!).
Let them get their own ISP, then it's their own network and responsability!

Some routers can work as wireless extenders, but you will have better luck using a real access point instead of the cheap crap integrated to routers.

Mind you, if the signal is weak for the neighbours' computers, it will not be any stronger for the AP/router. You'd have to position the router-AP pair high up on a window or set up some directional antenna system.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back