I have internet access, but no browser or pop mail access

Status
Not open for further replies.
A couple days ago, I opened up Firefox, and was dismayed to find that I had no internet access (or so I thought)... I figured it was just Comcast changing things up again, but then I went to close down my filesharing program (eMule) and found that I was still downloading fine. I tried my email client, Thunderbird, and it wouldn't work either. Finally, just to see if it might be Mozilla related, I tried Internet Explorer. Didn't work either. I am currently posting this on another computer hooked up to the same router as the first. Can anyone out there tell me why this might be happening? If it helps, eMule is setup to use port 4660. Thanks
- Charles

Email needs
POP3 info
STMP info
and a port # for each​

typically you see things like
smtp.$your-isp-domain.com on port 25
pop3.$your-isp-domain.com on port 110

just beware, there are providers that map both POP3 and SMTP
onto the same server using something like
mail.$your-isp-domain.com on port 25
mail.$your-isp-domain.com on port 110

you must be able to find the IP-address of the server using
nslookup $srvc.$your-isp-domain.com​
and if you can't, then revalidate the information by calling the ISP

the email client (apparently emule) configuration must match the provider's
service configuration.

hmmm...

I think you misunderstood my post, however, your reply was somewhat helpful.
First, though, let me clarify. eMule is a filesharing app, like Limewire or Kazaa. Now, when I open Firefox or Internet Explorer to try to get to google.com (I've tried other sites, too), the browser tries for a while and then tells me the server could not be found. Additionally, when I open my email client (Thunderbird), which was already configured and working fine, I have the same problem - long wait, can't access server. At first I thought my internet connection had failed, but because eMule is still downloading fine, I know that's not the problem.

I just looked up a public proxy and tried accessing the internet through it. That worked fine, with the exception that I couldn't access my Gmail account (which is what my mail client is set up to access, via pop).

So, I still have filesharing capability, which is on port 4660. And now I know that I am able to use a proxy, on port 8080. No email though (port 25 maybe?).
I am hooked up to a Linksys cable/dsl router, and I don't know much about it, but it seems like it might not be allowing me to use ports I normally use. If that makes sense, any idea what else I can try? If not, how can I clarify?

Also, I said your post helped me, because I tried (on this, the working computer) an nslookup for my IP, comcast. I then pinged the resulting address on my nonworking computer and got a signal back, which hadn't worked for regular domain names like www.google.com and www.cnn.com. So I know that much works...

Any ideas?

humm; on the failing computer
go to run->cmd /k nslookup google.com
if this fails, then the IP config on that machine is fouled.
your DNS address is not correct OR the gateway is wrong.

once the browser can access google.com, then the prior post re email
config applies.

btw: stmp(25) is the outbound email and pop3(110) is the inbound.
once you can retrieve from the pop3, the outbound is easier to config

Hi

It seems to be that I had the same problem of kingchargles

Let me tell you more about my problem

I'm using windows 7 RC and my PC is connected to the domain so I have to install ISA client and config IE8 with proxy to connect internet. and my PC can access internet normally however Network Icon notification is still "NO INTERNET ACCESS". After I install Windows 7 RC, I can not using MS Outlook to check my email even if I config the MS outlook correctlly. I do not know why. I think that IE can not access internet directly and that why MS Outlook can not connect to mail server (pop.gmail.com)
Who can know the solution for this, please tell me
Thanks a lots

you ought to be talking with the Admin of the Domain Environment -- once they
start using a proxy, the all the internet stuff will need special configuration for
Browsing and Email access. We can't second guess what that might be.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back