Common Folder, a thorn in my side

Status
Not open for further replies.
Its something to do with an entry not having double quotes in it

Click Start, Run and type REGEDIT.EXE
Navigate to the following branch:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

Double-click the entry " something here you will have to look" and enclose the existing
data within double-quotes.

So that the following text,

C:\Program Files\Common Files\something here you will have to look
becomes:
"C:\Program Files\Common Files\something here you will have to look"

I use the term something here as it can vary but its usually to do with a recently installed program or device.
Regards

Thank for the effort, but it didn't or I didn't work...HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE is the folder that popped up, when I xx clicked, the window opened with two fields: value name & value data. I pasted "C:\Program Files\Common Files\something here you will have to look" in the 'data'field....Nothing happened when I rebooted....Angela

amen1943 said:
Thank for the effort, but it didn't or I didn't work...HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE is the folder that popped up, when I xx clicked, the window opened with two fields: value name & value data. I pasted "C:\Program Files\Common Files\something here you will have to look" in the 'data'field....Nothing happened when I rebooted....Angela

No you misunderstood the post or I didnt explain properly.

RUN REGEDIT go to the key I gave, this lists the items that are set to load at startup.

see the attaced pic

Of course yours will differ from mine , one of those will be the culprit (so im led to believe) you need to change the entry and add the quotes ( " ) as per my last post...

Regards

Attachments

• Clipboard.jpg
    Clipboard.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 9
Hello and welcome to Techspot.

If Ididmyc600`s advice doesn`t work, try this.

This may not be the problem, but check it anyway.

Run regedit.
Navigate to:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon

On the right side, look at the Userinit string.
The data should read as follows, assuming C:\WINDOWS is your windows folder:
C:\WINDOWS\system32\userinit.exe,

The comma at the end is not a typo. If there is anything after the comma, modify
the string and remove it.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back