How do i make wireles safe?

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Baltan

Hi guys i am getting wireles so that i can use the internet at the same time on 2 computers.

My question is how can i make it safe?

Also can i use any wireles card with any wireles setup???

Thanxs Baltan

If you're going to use a router, which I think you are, you have to make sure both the card and router have the same letter, ie. 802.11G is the most used today, I think.

You can use MAC Adress filtering and WAC encryption, you can hide your SSID, so nobody can see your network name.

That's all I know. All of the above options can be found in the router setup, which you can acces by typing in the routers IP adress in your browser.

WPA and WEP are encryptions, WAC isn't, at least not common if it even exists. Security always comes at a price of convienience, the more secure you are the more of a pain it is going to be if you have a buddy come over and want to share the connection.

What I'd recommend is get everything connected and then find on your router's setup page (usually 192.168.1.1) what computers/devices are connected and what their MAC addresses are. Then you can set up MAC address filtering so only those can connect. That on top of encryption and SSID broadcast off is about as secure as you can get within reason.

I leave SSID on and just have encryption, but I live in an area where I don't have to worry about people using my connection (plus my router's range sucks, you probably can't even pick it up next door).

& even with WEP or WPA enabled, it is recommended to use a key that's not made up of words as some softwares use dictionaries to force their way in.

Thanxs guys, i got a home hub. it has wireless and it has 2 ethernet connections. I think iwill use the ethernet to share the internet between the computers for now.

What do you guys think?

Baltan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back