OCZ DDR2 PC2-9200 FlexXLC Edition review

Julio Franco

Staff member
Now that both AMD and Intel have selected DDR2 as the primary memory technology across their desktop range, everything has become much more standardized. That said, purchasing DDR2 memory is not so straightforward, as there are literally countless options available.

We present you today’s review item, OCZ's ultra-expensive DDR2 memory kit featuring two highly overclocked 1GB modules. Priced at around $480, the price tag of the OCZ DDR2 PC2-9200 FlexXLC Edition memory is quite simply scary! This memory clocks to 1150MHz using 2.35v with CAS5-5-5-18 timings.

These new OCZ FlexXLC memory modules feature the unique ability to integrate themselves into your existing water-cooling system. In fact, these are the first ever water-cooled memory modules of any description and OCZ wanted to make sure they were the record breakers. OCZ was not only the first to deliver water-cooled memory, but they are also the first to ship memory that is guaranteed to work at 1150MHz right out of the box.

https://www.techspot.com/review/35-ocz-ddr2-pc2-9200-flexxlc/

Please leave your feedback here. Thanks!

Hmm the price doesn't justify the high latency of the modules. I would like to think that if the RAM was of CAS Latency 4 or lower, then the price would justify it. This is just a fancied-up bundle of "performance" RAM IMO.

Do you know of any cheaper modules that are rated for 1150MHz, or any that operate at CAS4 timings? I am not challenging you here, I just have not seen any.

I imagine you would want to run these in parallel to another waterblok or they would probably kill your flow.

It all depends on the water kit. Gigabyte offers splitters in their kits so that you can use their VGA block for example which has smaller fittings than the rest of the system. This means the water flow will not be limited in anyway.

So the same idea would be used with these memory modules if the rest of the system uses larger fittings. It would have been nice to see OCZ include such fittings but I understand why they didn’t.

[-Steve-] said:
Do you know of any cheaper modules that are rated for 1150MHz, or any that operate at CAS4 timings? I am not challenging you here, I just have not seen any.

I think the fastest RAM I've ever seen (other than this) is Corsair 1142MHz, but they were only supposed to do that on a nVidia 680i platform.

kitty500cat said:
I think the fastest RAM I've ever seen (other than this) is Corsair 1142MHz, but they were only supposed to do that on a nVidia 680i platform.
If they're rated at 1142Mhz, then I don't see why they wouldn't be able to do that on any platform.
[-Steve-] said:
Gigabyte offers splitters in their kits...
Gigabyte makes watercooling?!

yes that is correct kitty500cat, its a bit annoying but thats the way it is!

Crucial 10th Anniversary are gone. :(

It would be nice to see comparisons in your reviews with some other D9GMH modules that are still available.

Okay first of all the modules you listed are only 512MB each, hence why they are half the price. Second of all these are CAS5 memory modules. Please check Kingston's own web site where they sell them for $455 in the 2GB kits!

I know the web site you linked says its a 1GB x 2 kit but they are wrong. Order a pair and find out ;) Would be great if you could get 2GB of highly overclockable DDR2 memory for just $200

I know. Also, DDR2 PC9200 at CAS Latency 4 isn't possible from what my professor told me. So my bad there. But isn't $455 for the Kingston memory with 5-5-5-16 timings better than getting OCZ RAM for $480 with 5-5-5-18 timings?

No not exactly, for starters you are paying a price premium for the crazy cooling which does help at high frequencies. The Kingston memory for example comes with basic heat spreaders. They work well but hardcore overclockers would no doubt prefer the OCZ memory. Plus the difference between 5-5-5-16 and 5-5-5-18 timings is... well nothing really.

Plus the idea of the review is more to see what the memory can do. We found that it could operate at 1170MHz at these timings without using a motherboard that supports EPP.

Jesse_hz: Gigabyte has been producing water-cooling kits for quite a few years now. Their latest version is quite good!

Ah ok thanks for the insight. I forgot the OCZ line was meant for OCers and the like. Will take care to READ PROPERLY in the future! =P

Back