Case window mod idea!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rik

Hi all, I've cut a window in my pc.
newwindow.jpg

I have decided that i want to put the TS logo on my window.

Julio, if you should see this, do i need permission from you?

I have 2 different ideas so far. 1 to paint the logo with a uv reacting paint as i have 4 uv tubes inside my case. 2 to cut the TS logo out of another piece of clear acrylic and stick the letters onto the inside of the window and light them with led's.

Just wondered if anyone had anything to add or any better ideas?

I would fit a really thin fishtank for tropical fish.
You could then use the water to cool the really stressed CPU and at the same time provide free heat for the fish.
Nice piece of metalwork but where did you get that chair!

Hmmm, i have a few questions to answer.

nickslick74, i used a jigsaw cutter with its base plate covered in masking tape.

AlbertLionheart, i have thought about making the window (or part of it) into my reservoir but as yet haven't found a good clear glue that i would trust.
And the chair came out of a Capri and i modded it a bit. I'm sitting on it right now and its well comfy.

My son is an expert in glass furniture and would be able to make the case without any problem. There is a problem, and that is I would have to give away my carefully protected identity to tell anyone who he is.......
Capri seat - thats extreme. Perhaps you had better tell those from across the pond what a Capri is/was.

Ok AlberLionheart, a Capri is a 1980's car made by ford. There are plenty of pic's to be found via google if anyone wants to know any more about it.

And here's what one looks like.
Ford_Capri_01.jpg

Just been looking at the front of my pc, i have 3 unused floppy bays (yup, 3, no mistake). I think that that would be the best place for my reservoir. AlbertLionheart, could you ask your son if he could recommend a good clear glue that's not too hard to come by? I got some fish tank sealant but i don't think it will be strong enough. I'm using the kind of clear acrylic that homebase sells if that's any help.

Here's the floppy bays on my pc, the floppy drive is in there to cover the hole, it isnt plumbed in at all.
Picture001.jpg

I personally wouldn't go with the LED's, but the neon paint idea sounds pretty cool. I had a guy I knew cut out Yoda from the side of his case (no window), and lit it with a green LED. Looked pretty sweet. If you can get away from seeing the wires, the LED's might not look too bad, really.

Codex Computing, now thats what I call fishing for help.:D

tie_mann101, I'm beginning to lean towards the glued on letters and led idea. I was thinking of mounting the led's so that they cant be seen by using high brightness ones in bits of metal tubing so that they are more focused.

Now here's an idea - attach a Capri instrument consol to the front of a PC case!
And yes, James - I know what a Capri is; used to sell them in Germany. Now that's showing my age.....

Thats a nice idea, but, I dont really want to do too much to the front of my case because it has a perspex panel that i have lit with blue led's and I think it looks pretty good at the mo.
Theres no makers name on my case anywhere or i'd google for a pic of it.
I will keep looking for a pic tho.
Some advice about glue would be handy.

This pic is very similar to my front panel but is not exactly the same.

67FrontPanel1stLayer.jpg

This pic is extremely similar to my pc.

20070406094526.jpg

That sounds like windscreen repair resin as that requires uv light to make it set quickly. I'm just after some glue that will stick clear acrylic, the type you can get from homebase. Thats where my acrylic came from, they threw out a load of offcuts, so i nabbed em with their permission.

Superglue is way too messy. I was wondering if your son may have some good suggestions?

I'll email him about glueing acrylic sheet and see what he says. Idle little oik has not replied to an email I sent him 2 hours ago so be patient!

The boy says the stuff you need is called Tensole - different types for different thicknesses.
The only source he knows is Amari Plastics in West Bromwich
Hope this is helpful!

Thankyou and thank him for me, west Bromwich is way too far away. I will do a bit of googeling.

After a bit of googleing, i came up with this - http://www.ultimatehandyman.co.uk/ACRYLIC_GLUING.htm

Er, um, DOH!. Seems i had a perfectly good glue all along. I have been doing some model making and i have a bottle of Revell glue. I just tried it on some off cuts and it seems to stick the acrylic really well. Er, how could i have missed that.:blush:

Thats weird - I have just posted the name of the acrylic glue and source - and it ain't sodding well here! Will go and find it again.................

Tensole - you get different types for different thicknesses.
Its more of a welding sovent than a glue - melts the plastic together!
Source - Amari Plastics in West Brom

I gotta say DOH and DOH again. it seems that both of these products i already have should be suitable for what i want to do, oops!!! Someone musta shot me with a stoopid gun.

Picture002.jpg

No Pic :(

Sorry Codex, I don't have a pic of it. I've been trying to find the guy, because I haven't talked to him in awhile, and he also has some other things of mine. If I get ahold of him, I'll see if I can post a pic.

The main reason for wanting to glue is to make a reservoir as the one that came with my water kit is way too small for the bigger and better pump that i now have.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back