How to fix bad sector on hdd

Status
Not open for further replies.

dustin_ds3000

my 40 gig hdd has some bad sectors on it and i want to know is there any free software i can use to fix it or if i have to buy the software i will buy it as long someone can recommend some software

Have you tried letting Windows see if it can fix the bad sectors?

Double click my computer and right click on your hard drive. Select properties/tools/error checking/check now.

Tick Automatically fix file system errors and tick scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors. Click Start and follow the prompts to schedule a disk check and reboot your computer.

Regards Howard :)

yes i have, it doesn't work. when it reboots it just comes up and says 100% complete and continues to boot up into windows.

If Windows can`t solve your problem, then maybe your hard drive is getting ready to fail.

I suggest you backup any important data and download and run your hard drive manufacturers diagnostic utility.

If you can`t find it, take a look at this thread HERE.

Bad sectors can`t really be repaired as it`s actually a problem with the magnetic coating.

They can only be marked as bad so they aren`t used for data storage.

well i when back and tried error checking again and it found one error on the drive and it fixed it so thankz howard_hopkinso your always helpful

While there is software out there that claims to "fix" or reapir bad sectors through forced gaussing and degaussing, in the long run your data is still at risk as the coating has gone bad or there is a physical defect. It is far better and safer to replace a failing drive.

howard_hopkinso said:
Bad sectors can`t really be repaired as it`s actually a problem with the magnetic coating.

They can only be marked as bad so they aren`t used for data storage.

How do you mark them as bad so they aren't used?

two ways to fix bad sectors:
1)
boot into SAFE MODE
run->CHKDSK /R and press enter​

2)
Choose Properties from the File menu. You should see the Properties window for the drive that you selected.
Choose the Tools tab.
Click the Check Now button under Error Checking Status.
Depending on your version of Windows, choose either "Thorough" or "Scan for and Attempt Recovery of Bad Sectors."​

Tedster said:
While there is software out there that claims to "fix" or reapir bad sectors through forced gaussing and degaussing, in the long run your data is still at risk as the coating has gone bad or there is a physical defect. It is far better and safer to replace a failing drive.

I certainly agree Tedster. I have 3 drives running now for over a year, that were riddled with "bad" sectors. After an all 0's write, they tested "good"...

Notice the quotes

jobeard said:
two ways to fix bad sectors:
1)
boot into SAFE MODE
run->CHKDSK /R and press enter​

2)
Choose Properties from the File menu. You should see the Properties window for the drive that you selected.
Choose the Tools tab.
Depending on your version of Windows, choose either "Thorough" or "Scan for and Attempt Recovery of Bad Sectors."​

Thanks, jobeard. I'll try it out tomorrow.

HDDRegenerator is a piece of software that will fix, rather than just mark, bad sectors. I've used it with success in the past.

hum; if a sector has gone bad, personally I would rather swap it for another one
than attempt to fix/reuse it.

btw: The user should get a copy of Everest Home and monitor the SMART facility
to determine if the HD is going bad.

Well sometimes you aren't in the position to replace a drive. Now that I have a job and some money I can, but back when I was in school I didn't. Its sort of like getting a flat tire on your car and using Fix-A-Flat to repair it, it may go flat again, but it got/kept you going, and its a lot cheaper than buying a new tire. Just keep watching that tire (hard drive in this case) for any more problems, and be aware that they can come back.

SNGX1275 said:
Well sometimes you aren't in the position to replace a drive. Now that I have a job and some money I can, but back when I was in school I didn't. Its sort of like getting a flat tire on your car and using Fix-A-Flat to repair it, it may go flat again, but it got/kept you going, and its a lot cheaper than buying a new tire. Just keep watching that tire (hard drive in this case) for any more problems, and be aware that they can come back.

I always test a suspect drive checking by it's SMART Status, and doing an all 0's write. I then attempt a format. If successful, I install the OS. As I mentioned, this "fix" doesn't work all the time. Maybe only on less than 10% of the drives I have seen

"two ways to fix bad sectors:
1) boot into SAFE MODE
run->CHKDSK /R and press enter

2) Choose Properties from the File menu. You should see the Properties window for the drive that you selected.
Choose the Tools tab.
Depending on your version of Windows, choose either "Thorough" or "Scan for and Attempt Recovery of Bad Sectors."

that is not a repair of bad sectors. That is a registry repair. That is something completely different.

Try HD Regenerator or spinrite v6.0. it can be found inside HIRENS BOOT CD. Hirens can be found anywhere in the web for free. Try it...

Okay, it's beginning to dawn on me that my problem isn't the disk itself, but the little circuit board attached to it (somebody somewhere called it a controller). I have a bunch of 120GB DiamondMax 16s (I made a very bad deal, okay?), and though they seem okay, all the tests say they're failing. Any idea how I'd search for a replacement circuit board (controller?) to see if I'm right?

And thanks for all the previous help. The HD Regenerator in the Hirens CD is a great tool.

I've checked it out mostly demo's and free stuff
never found pirated software on the copy I found
maybe I missed something if spinrite or hdd was on them then your right very illegal
never found any use for it
I'm a GUI kinda guy
controller cost more than whole drive
never save much money buying used drives
look up company's that do data recovery they may sell you the circuit as all drives become there propety

A new hard drive is always the best thing to do... I repair older systems at bargain prices so if I can "fix" bad sectors, and get the drive back up and running without buying one, I go for it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back