Votes: 3 50.0%
  • don't care

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

DelJo63

Did you implement a RAID storage technique -- which one?

RAID (Redundant Array of Independent Drives) is tempting to many who get enticed by
the seductive list of benefits. IMO, the issues they create outweigh those benefits for
the average home user and just complicate systems management (ie: backup/recovery).

For those that have implemented RAID, please share with us the benefits and how you've measured or justified RAID.

I would never use any kind of fakeraid (read: the SATA crap you get with your motherboard) solution for the very reasons stated above.

True hardware RAID or standard and widely used OS-level software RAID are a completely different matter.

I'm running RAID 5 (6 drives) on my fileserver - both for redundancy and for speed. I'm seeing great speed and love the web admin tool provided by my RAID card. I was given permission by the wife to build it after we lost a bunch of pictures when my last fileserver died. Her demand was to have a new fileserver where we won't lose data just because a drive dies. My demands were based around speed - hence the seperate hardware RAID controller and 6 drives (which will be upgraded to 8.)
I use it as a scratch space for my video editing as well... and host all my audio, video, and private files on this machine and it feeds everything else on my network. Don't have to worry about putting larger drives in any of my other machines now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back