20% of Intel's Q1 2011 desktop CPUs to be Sandy Bridge

Emil

Staff

Intel's next-gen Sandy Bridge processors are due out early next year and the company is going to make sure they don't go unnoticed. 20 percent of Intel's Q1 2011 desktop CPU shipments will be using the Sandy Bridge architecture, according to sources at motherboard makers cited by DigiTimes. Intel will debut its latest and greatest processors at CES 2011 in January 2011.

Asus and Gigabyte have already started promoting their corresponding motherboards and are expecting to ship 5.8 and 5 million units, respectively, in the same quarter. Motherboard makers are hoping the new compatible 6-series motherboards will contribute strong profits and shipments. Q1 2011 could be a very successful quarter, as motherboard shipments may break historical records like in March 2009, if the enterprise market's PC replacement trend continues and if component shortages issues are resolved.

Gigabyte is ready to launch its P67A-UD7 motherboards, featuring the company's latest power-saving and enhanced component technologies, while Asus is hoping to push out several motherboards under its ROG series, specifically designed for gamers. One Asus motherboard for Sandy Bridge was recently shown off with UEFI.

Permalink to story.

I will wait for the new platform bugs to be worked out before I upgrade. I am really excited about UEFI though. BIOS should have died a long time ago. Just like the floppy disc, it just hung on for some reason. It is about time for Intel to release a new platform.

while UEFI is good to have but still i am not keen on sandy bridge as such and without waiting further i am planning to buy i7-870 with UD4P. My main reason behind not waiting for sandy is that there is no motherboard which has as many features as in UD4P of P55 gigabyte mdb

Another Intel platform... I like AMD because they do not update so much. Take the AM3, it is very flexible and supports over two dozen processors, you can buy everything from $30 - $300 and get the performance for the price that fits your budget. When I build I am going AMD because of that reason.
Although I do admit that Intel has the fastest desktop processors (i7) out there, so it's a trade off between the ability to upgrade without buying a new motherboard or getting a really fast processor and having to upgrade your motherboard every time you want to upgrade the processor.

TeamworkGuy2 said:
Another Intel platform... I like AMD because they do not update so much. Take the AM3, it is very flexible and supports over two dozen processors, you can buy everything from $30 - $300 and get the performance for the price that fits your budget. When I build I am going AMD because of that reason.
Although I do admit that Intel has the fastest desktop processors (i7) out there, so it's a trade off between the ability to upgrade without buying a new motherboard or getting a really fast processor and having to upgrade your motherboard every time you want to upgrade the processor.
I agree. If I had to choose between changing the socket yearly and doing the change as rarely as possible, I'd do it as rarely as possible.

sadly bulldozer gonna use a new socket :( hopefully its going to be worth i really wish AMD going to give Intel a good fight

me too buddy.....i think intel has been on the top for far too long...come on amd, do something about that.......what happened to the good old days?..

I want to upgrade my phenom II x3.

I need this and bulldozer NOW!

I hope prices are manageable

I used to like Intel processor. I have two laptop and 1 computer. My laptop has intel processor but desktop has AMD processor. I have started liking AMD processor now. You get same power in much less money which you can put on other configuration. And AMD doesn't make their product obsolete at least for 3-4 years. Think how many laptops and computers are coming with intel core processor. Intel core i processor is just about year old and now they are coming with new processor.

I'm going to stay away from the first gen motherboard that will include UEFI. It's always best to wait for at least 1 year before buying a new tech to give it time to mature and to resolve most of the important bugs. (something like sp1 for an OS)
As for Sandy Bridge CPU's i want to see how amd responds.

My main reason behind not waiting for sandy is that there is no motherboard which has as many features as in UD4P of P55 gigabyte mdb
Really? I'm guessing you haven't seen whats coming up in the rear-view mirror....in fact you'll be able to get better than the P55A-UD4P feature set on the likely cheaper P67A-UD4, including a much cleaner power delivery (driver mosfets).
Hopefully you get a bonus from Gigabyte for buying the P55(A?)-UD4P- it's one less unit in inventory they wont have to transship to a developing country in order to clear the warehouses.

Another new Intel platform, new CPUs, new socket type and new motherboards again. At least, it still uses DDR3 memory. What's next ? Are they going to kill off Socket 1366 and the X58 chipset too ? I'm still using a LGA 775 E7500 rig and another with a AMD Phenom II X4 955 processor. I think I'm going to sit this one out. My money doesn't grow on trees and I'm lucky I still have a job. Sorry, Intel, no sale. Your CPUs rock but the way you treat PC users really sucks. :(

TeamworkGuy2 said:
Another Intel platform... I like AMD because they do not update so much. Take the AM3, it is very flexible and supports over two dozen processors, you can buy everything from $30 - $300 and get the performance for the price that fits your budget.
While I like that AMD is keeping socket compatibility, I can't say it has affected me greatly. I don't upgrade the CPU often enough that it matters. When I do it's often with a new PC, and then I buy a new MB.

Sandy bridge it's a socket or a chipset? :S never got well the idea. I'm sticking to my 775 socket and probably go after the Core i5 760 processor, if I decided to sell my computer one of the days to come.
Having said that, I won't belong to the 20% of people who luckly will get their sandy bridge processor.

storagebox said:
sadly bulldozer gonna use a new socket :( hopefully its going to be worth i really wish AMD going to give Intel a good fight

I hope those guys in AMD, work their *** out to get that figth, if not, then they will realize that their destiny is stay in Intel´s shadows as a butget hell of a good performer option... But I, lke you, have my prays so to that dont happen, I really like AMD product, most of it ATI´s..cough, cough RADEON..jeje :)

that is myw I prefer amd bceuase no need to often to change motherboard for each times I upgrade, not like intel but too admit intel i-7 is the fastest .

grvalderrama said:
Sandy bridge it's a socket or a chipset? :S never got well the idea. I'm sticking to my 775 socket and probably go after the Core i5 760 processor, if I decided to sell my computer one of the days to come.
Having said that, I won't belong to the 20% of people who luckly will get their sandy bridge processor.

The way Intel works is that most of their upgrade paths arent backwards compatible unlike AMD. If you plan on switching to an i5 760, you'd have to change your socket 775 to an 1156..

Back