TechSpot

470 Watt PSU

By Adhmuz
Aug 21, 2008
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Now I already know this is probably pushing the limits of what a 470 Watt Thermaltake TR2 PSU can handle but at the moment its running a Q6600 not OC'ed cause I don't want to completely kill my PSU, dual BFG 8800 GT OC2's, 4 SATA HDD, sound card, ethernet card, dvd multy drive, 6 case fans and 2 sticks of 800Mhz DDR2. The mother board is an Asus P5N-D. What would be the best method of really knowing how much juice I'm drawing from my PSU and I will be getting a new one in a couple of days, some suggestions would be nice. Factor in 4 sticks of 1066Mhz DDR2 and at least a 3.0 GHz OC for the CPU.

Thanks
  2. Obi-Wan Jerkobi

Obi-Wan Jerkobi TS Maniac Posts: 592

3. Adhmuz

Adhmuz TechSpot Paladin Topic Starter Posts: 903   +99

Well as it turns out I was looking at the 750watt variant that my local PC components store has for $135 Canadian they of course sold there last one the same day I went to go pick one up for myself.
  4. Obi-Wan Jerkobi

Obi-Wan Jerkobi TS Maniac Posts: 592

If you can possibly get the 750W then get it! It's got a giant +12v rail! :)
  5. EXCellR8

EXCellR8 The Conservative Posts: 2,278

Man up and buy a 1000w, 70+ amps ftw! Plus chicks dig it :D

Let me know if you have any luck overclocking that chip on the P5N-D. I have the P5N-E, which I guess is notoriously bad with Quads, and I can't get a stable 3.0Ghz with a 1333FSB. I was able to run it at 3 but the more demanding apps kept crashing/freezing; the voltage was up too high imo. Doesn't really matter though, a 2.4Ghz Quad is really good and should handle pretty much anything you throw at it.
  6. Rage_3K_Moiz

Rage_3K_Moiz Sith Lord Posts: 7,286   +24

Your PSU's combined +12V current rating is probably for continous power, which explains why you've been able to run everything smoothly.

For a new PSU with the same system, the Corsair VX450 will be enough. For a new pair of video cards, I'd recommend the Seasonic-made PC Power & Cooling SIlencer 750 over the Corsair TX750W.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.