8GB DDR3 1066Mhz SODIMM Memory - 2x4096MB why?

By syde
Jul 22, 2009
  1. strategic

strategic TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,020

That is definitely some serious memory.
    Face it, not everybody needs that much, but some systems would gladly use it.
  2. syde

syde TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 113

I could totally understand a desktop but a laptop? lol
  3. strategic

strategic TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,020

Maybe I'm missing something, but I don't see anywhere that it is only for laptops:zzz:
  4. syde

syde TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 113

I'm pretty sure? SODIMM RAM is designed for laptops?:eek:
  5. LNCPapa

LNCPapa TS Special Forces Posts: 4,202   +422

The multimedia guy in my department here at work regularly kills the 8 GB of RAM on his Mac Pro when he's using Illustrator and Photoshop - I'm sure he'd love to have 8 GB in his MBP. He has 4 in it now and complains about switching back and forth from AI to PS. It really depends on the work you're doing with the device.
  6. Technochicken

Technochicken TechSpot Paladin Posts: 729

He must be editing some enormous files in Photoshop. While I use it, my ram usage almost never goes above 2 gigs, and I usually have iTunes and a couple browser tabs going at the same time.
  7. Tedster

Tedster Techspot old timer..... Posts: 6,000   +15

unless you're doing video editing or CAD 3D (which I don't see why you would on a laptop anyway), you're wasting money. Besides you have to have a 64 bit OS in order to access above 3.4 gb anyway. If you're just surfing on playing some games or office work, that is extreme overkill.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.