TechSpot

8GB DDR3 1066Mhz SODIMM Memory - 2x4096MB why?

By syde
Jul 22, 2009
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. strategic

strategic TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,274

That is definitely some serious memory.
    Face it, not everybody needs that much, but some systems would gladly use it.

2. syde

syde TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 131

I could totally understand a desktop but a laptop? lol

3. strategic

strategic TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,274

Maybe I'm missing something, but I don't see anywhere that it is only for laptops:zzz:

4. syde

syde TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 131

I'm pretty sure? SODIMM RAM is designed for laptops?:eek:

5. LNCPapa

LNCPapa TS Special Forces Posts: 4,316   +268

The multimedia guy in my department here at work regularly kills the 8 GB of RAM on his Mac Pro when he's using Illustrator and Photoshop - I'm sure he'd love to have 8 GB in his MBP. He has 4 in it now and complains about switching back and forth from AI to PS. It really depends on the work you're doing with the device.

6. Technochicken

Technochicken TechSpot Paladin Posts: 903

He must be editing some enormous files in Photoshop. While I use it, my ram usage almost never goes above 2 gigs, and I usually have iTunes and a couple browser tabs going at the same time.

7. Tedster

Tedster Techspot old timer..... Posts: 10,074   +13

unless you're doing video editing or CAD 3D (which I don't see why you would on a laptop anyway), you're wasting money. Besides you have to have a 64 bit OS in order to access above 3.4 gb anyway. If you're just surfing on playing some games or office work, that is extreme overkill.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.