A GPU upgrade

red1776

I had some requests to post this upgrade. Replaced the 4x Asus 5850's with 4x Sapphire 2GB /HD 6950's
Not much to look at, but she goes rather well.

6950x4.jpg

A bunch. Besides just being faster, the 6000 scales a lot better. I highly recommend these cards. The vapor cooling on these is really something. 59c under 100% load in a 23c room. I opted for the 2GB version of the 6950 even though nothing uses 8 GB of buffer, but the way they are writing these games, more than 4GB might be useful soon.

Wow - color me impressed Red. I'm curious to see some scaling numbers on some game benches (I dont' care about synthetics.) I also assume there's a second PSU in there somewhere?

Wow - color me impressed Red. I'm curious to see some scaling numbers on some game benches (I dont' care about synthetics.) I also assume there's a second PSU in there somewhere?

Hi Papa, I have got a lot of request for scaling numbers, so I will post a chart with the more popular titles :)
There is a second and a third PSU in there, 1650A/132A. The 4 GPU's have their own dedicated 1000w's to themselves.

@Red,
Your wall socket faceplate glow the same colour when its cranked up by any chance? :haha:

@Red,
Your wall socket faceplate glow the same colour when its cranked up by any chance? :haha:

...well...yes...but thats not important right now :p
reviews have this card @ 140-150w under heavy game load, so I think I am around 900-1000w peak...I think.

How did you set that up?

59C under load is VERY impressive! Are they at stock speed?

They fit into 5.25" drive bays and get a wake up from the bios via a 4 pin molex connector. They are strictly for GPU's. the only connectors are 4 8-pin PCIE each.

Those are stock speed temps yes.

unless every reviewer, and Sapphire themselves got it wrong...the 6950 Flex is a Vapor cooler. Do you even know what that means or how it works?

no i don't , but you mean that the 6950 flex is a cooler not a graphics card????

The Sapphire HD 6950 Flex - utilises a vapor chamber to conduct heat away from the GPU, and to the cooling fins attached to the vapor block. The vapor chamber is still part of an air cooled system.

@ red
That (I hesitate to call it) cable management looks like its designed to thwart that Thermalright. Might be time to ditch that chassis look at a better laid out one. Do yourself a favour and check out this beast. I've just done a customer build with it...all I can say is that this will be my next chassis in very short order. You'd be able to tuck those PCI-E's away no problem whatsoever.

@ red
That (I hesitate to call it) cable management looks like its designed to thwart that Thermalright. Might be time to ditch that chassis look at a better laid out one. Do yourself a favour and check out this beast. I've just done a customer build with it...all I can say is that this will be my next chassis in very short order. You'd be able to tuck those PCI-E's away no problem whatsoever.

Thats right Chef, Thats me giving up on the 932. I abandoned further prep/wire routing and decided to get a new home for this thing. Running the wires from the GPU PSU's and behind the MB in this thing would be a logistical nightmare if possible at all. The more I have worked with the 932 the less i like it. I saw Tom's Video review of the Xigmatek Elysium @ OC3D a couple months ago and it's been on the short list since. I also think it is about perfect for my unusual power supply setup.

Them thar wires have no effect on cooling (at least with the 1100T in there) just clunky.

Back