TechSpot

Abiword removing Norton AV?

By Diane Minton
Nov 1, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. I am new to this site, I downloaded Abiwords last weekend to help my husband with his work, It took my Norton Antivirus off, Interent Secuirty. I wrote them and no one has written back. I had a one yr pd version of it, I went thru allot before I got the computer back to working shape....Have you ever heard of a program taking an antivirus off of a PC? I guess they think I am lying or something but as outlandish as it sounds this happened to me. What would you do>?

2. Cinders

Cinders TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,313   +12

I might have started my own thread about the issue in Software Apps, since you seem to be back in order, I'm not sure there is a lot we can do for you.

3. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 13,450   +324

hmm; frankly I find that hard to accept.
    The version of your Windows software {xp,vista,win7} and the edition {home,pro,media} can play a part here
    and so can the source / validity of your Abiword download.

That said, I am also sure your Norton is now uninstalled.

What would I do now that Norton is gone?
    First uninstall Abiword and reboot.
    Run Microsoft MSRT to make sure you have no rootkits

Download a new copy of Abiword and try to use a different site.

Now install your choice of antivirus protection (hint: try Avast! Free).

SCAN that download for infections (I use my anti-virus Avast which adds a context menu Scan File to the right-click on any file).

Finally reinstall Abiword.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.