"Adobe Reader has stopped working"

sdms96825

I recently downloaded Adobe Reader X. Now, every time (and I mean EVERY TIME) I open a pdf document I get a box that says Adobe Reader has stopped working. Why does it do this and how can I fix it? When I click on details I get something like the following:

Problem Event Name: BEX
Application Name: AcroRd32.exe
Application Version: 10.0.1.434
Application Timestamp: 4d456f48
Fault Module Name: StackHash_fd00
Fault Module Version: 0.0.0.0
Fault Module Timestamp: 00000000
Exception Offset: 032b8fc7
Exception Code: c0000005
Exception Data: 00000008
OS Version: 6.0.6002.2.2.0.256.1
Locale ID: 1033
Additional Information 1: fd00
Additional Information 2: ea6f5fe8924aaa756324d57f87834160
Additional Information 3: fd00
Additional Information 4: ea6f5fe8924aaa756324d57f87834160

Thanks Robin. I will try that since this time I uninstalled my Adobe Reader 9 and then downloaded the Adobe Reader X. Good guess on Vista!

Adobe Reader has become very large and heavy on resources. Moreover, it suffers from security issues and needs regular updating.

To avoid the above shortcomings, there are better free alternatives, which are much lighter and safer:

The best known such alternative is Foxit Reader, which I use myself for some time now without any problems. But I hear that the latest version comes with a toolbar, which is of negative value. If you can’t avoid the toolbar during installation, try one of the following 2 further alternatives:

Perfect PDF reader
http://www.soft-xpansion.com/index.php?p=pdftech/pdfqr

Sumatra PDF reader
https://www.techspot.com/downloads/4301-sumatra-pdf.html

I recently found this problem on Windows 7. I was using Adobe Reader XI. So I uninstalled it and reinstalled Adobe Reader X. The same problem arose there also. I was perplexed as I have used Reader for many years with no problems. Is this a similar problem to that arising in Adobe Flash?

Anyway, I found a way around this today, having downloaded a new copy of Adobe Reader XI. This give the same problem "Adobe Reader has stopped working". I discovered that right-clicking the Reader icon allowed me to go to the Windows Compatibility area. This in turn showed that the setting for compatibility was to set it to Windows XP Service Pack 2. This resulted in Reader XI working again as it previously had. Give it a try!
Terry (Casillero)

I have no problem running adobe reader versions 9,10, or 11 under windows vista home premium x86 intel core 2 duo (1.6ghz) acer laptop, windows 7 home premium x64 intel core 2 duo (1.6ghz) acer laptop, windows 7 home premium x64 intel pentium dual core e5400, windows 7 home premium x64 intel core i3-530.

optional adobe plugins can be "disabled" to improve loading time.

Hello Misor,

Likewise, I had never had this problem until a few days back. Adobe Reader had ALWAYS worked perfectly for me also. Then a few days ago, I tried to use Reader on my Windows 7 laptop, and had the message which had started this thread. It appears that doing a search produced hundreds of posts on the subject of Reader having stopped working and that Windows was looking into the problem.

It was only then that I found that others were having, or had had, this problem.

I don't have this problem on my PC where I am running Windows 8. Neither do I have the problem with Adobe Reader now on my laptop on which I am using Windows 7 since right-clicking and using Compatibility Troubleshooter.

I only posted my comments since I had found a way around this problem.

I hope you continue running Reader trouble free!

Casillero

Casillero
Your the best! A simple & quick fix to my windows 7 conflict with Adobe Reader "Stopped Working" it took all but 30 seconds to do this & now I am opening my documents again. Thanks much!!!
Best, David

Back