ADSL Modem Connection Difficulties

Status
Not open for further replies.

tomrice32

Hi all, hope I posted this in the right forum! I've recently had to re-install windows98, I then installed an ADSL Modem on it (Sagem F@st 800-840). I did have problems with the computer rebooting itself at random times while the modem was plugged in, to fix this I changed my USB setting from ISO to BULK as instructed by my ISP.
Now I am having problems with my connection. While on the internet it just randomly disconnects me and asks if I want to re-dial my connection. When I click re-dial it freezes, so I have to click cancel, re-launch the modem and re-dial again. This is very annoying and was wondering if anyone had any ideas as to what might cause it to disconnect?

By the way I have set Auto-Disconnect to NOT run, and I don't have options to disconnect if idle for 20 minutes or if a connection is no longer needed. I don't think it's because I set the USB to BULK either because I had it on this setting before windows was re-installed and it was fine. Anyway, any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks :)

Windows 98 is iffy with USB, W98SE is slightly better, but USB-drivers for either hardly ever work.
Check that you have the latest W98 USB-drivers installed. Also see if there are any USB-drivers on the motherboard CD and install/upgrade those as well.
If you would install Windows 2000 Pro instead, rather than XP, it would make life a lot easier for you.

Hm i'm pretty sure mine is Win98SE actually.. should've said the SE bit. Anyway I had a fiddle around with drivers - don't think I did anything but it is working now! Thanks for your reply.

Oh yeah also i'd love to have Windows 2000 it does look better, but I don't know how to get it it's just too much hassle. And I don't think my computer is good enough for it at 300mhz either

Just in case, your PC would be able to handle Win2000. Before you do anything, check around on the internet at your mobo-, audio-, graphics- and other suppliers to get the W2K drivers first.
Look around for bargain W2Ks, such as Ebay. W2K does not have the registration hassle that XP has.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back