AMD Athlon 64 3400+: Death of the FX-51

Status
Not open for further replies.

Julio Franco

Staff member
AMD's Athlon 64 FX-51 had a very short lived life, the final nail in its coffin being the Athlon 64 3400+ at around half its price and offering all its performance. We also take a more thorough look at the Newcastle based Athlon 64 3000+ and crown a new price/performance leader. And you thought the Pentium 4 2.8C was a great buy...

Reviews are in from: Anandtech, TechReport, AMDmb, Hexus, Hot Hardware.

Man, things are moving faster and faster and cheaper and cheaper. It tends to confuse this oldster because about the time I make a decision (no mean feat for me) to upgrade to a specific proc/mobo combo I read about something else. :=(

Gettin' tired. Nap now. ;-)

This is good for me, because in about 6 months I'll have graduated with a Masters degree and hopefully have a job - which is about when using my current computer (athlon 1 gig) will become too slow for my liking.

Awesome with new stuff coming out fairly quickly, we should see some price drops :) Maybe the A64 3000+/3200+ will turn a chunk cheaper.

hehe, maybe i'll get one of these newer amd cpus in a year or so. technology keeps getting better. :)

SNGX1275 wow you are getting your Masters. good job! it will still be a few years before i even get a Bachelors. btw what is your field of study?

Originally posted by BrownPaper
SNGX1275 wow you are getting your Masters. good job! it will still be a few years before i even get a Bachelors. btw what is your field of study?
Thanks. Undergraduate was Geology/Geophysics with emphasis in Groundwater and Geochemistry. Masters is in Engineering Management.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back