TechSpot

AMD cuts Radeon HD 7000-series pricing ahead of dual-GPU launch

By Jos
Jul 16, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. AMD is following up from the launch of its Radeon HD 7970 GHz edition graphics card, which sought to take the single-GPU performance crown from Nvidia's GTX 680 late last month, with a new round of price cuts that will……

Read more

2. Sarcasm

Sarcasm TS Enthusiast Posts: 343   +20

Hmmm a 7750 for $100 is not too shabby for a HTPC GPU.

3. LNCPapa

LNCPapa TS Special Forces Posts: 4,371   +289

Finally competitive again - now to win back the users they upset with their initial pricing structure of the 79xx cards. I, for one, am going to stick with nVidia for a while where the dollar gets me the same performance because of the crazy initial pricing. Once they put something out that really trips nVidia up I'll switch back but if it's close I'll stay where I'm at. This change does make the 7950 vs 670 battle a lot more interesting though - if we actually see further price drops at the retail outlets.

4. amstech

amstech TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 925   +247

When a bang for the buck GPU (Radeon) cost more then a GPU with superior drivers/features (GTX) your going to have a problem.
    By the time 256bit cards don't have enough bandwidth, it will be 2-3 years from now and all of todays current cards will be nice and outdated.

Well AMD had to do something.
    Stock for stock the 670 beats the 7970 at 1920 X 1200.

5. Oldiesman

Oldiesman TS Rookie

My 6950 is more than enough for me.

6. ikesmasher

ikesmasher TS Evangelist Posts: 1,977   +390

The 7850 needed a 20 dollar price drop...at least. why is there a +100 dollar gap between the 7770 and the 7850

7. Ultraman1966

Ultraman1966 TS Rookie Posts: 74

300USD or 230 quid is still too much to ask for a 7870. 200 quid would be closer to the mark.

8. dividebyzero

dividebyzero trainee n00b Posts: 4,967   +737

Help is on the way.
    The only reason HD 7870 cards are so expensive is that there is no direct competition from Nvidia in that market/performance segment - just as the case with the initial HD 7970 pricing. That is about to change- the GTX 660Ti is due to launch in four weeks ( English language article based on the SweClockers report >>here<<)

9. Ultraman1966

Ultraman1966 TS Rookie Posts: 74

I also figured that, I can't say I blame AMD, they need every last drop of profit they can get...

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.