AMD Radeon HD 6000-series cards spotted in the wild

Jos

Things should get really interesting the coming months in the world of desktop graphics as both Nvidia and AMD ready new DirectX 11 offerings aimed at the mainstream and enthusiast markets. The former is expected release the GeForce GTS 450 next week and the GT 430 in October, while AMD should debut the Radeon HD 6000 series with two models in the 6700 line around the same time according to the latest rumors. We're not sure when their higher end Cayman XT based cards will hit the market, but if the latest round of leaked pictures are any indication, they can't be far off either.

There are not too many details that we can gather from a picture, of course, but the card appears to have two DVI, one HDMI and two Mini DisplayPort outputs -- potentially allowing for four or up to five-way Eyefinity setups. Additionally the leak shows a pair of CrossFire connectors, which is to be expected from AMD's latest graphics cards. Curiously, an ATI sticker is visible on the fan, but as you know this brand will not be used to market the Radeon HD 6000 series.

The folks over at Chiphell.com also posted a couple of pictures of what they claim is an AMD Radeon HD 6300 card featuring a low-profile, single-slot, passively-cooled design. According to the site, the card has a DVI port, possible HDMI and 1GB of VRAM (DDR3) over a 64-bit memory interface. As was the case with its higher-end counterpart, there's no information regarding the GPU, shader or memory clock speeds.

Permalink to story.

Actual no, don't die Nvidia, keep up the work of creating competition in the market so that AMD keep pumping out hardwar that will be fantastic. Intel please jump on board this bandwagon and bring some new life into this game as well; lets see some hardcore wars going here for my money dammit.

I will pay to whoever is making the best hardware for my buck, as of late that has been ATI/AMD but only time will tell if Nvidia Intel or "x" come up with something better.

vangrat said:
Actual no, don't die Nvidia, keep up the work of creating competition in the market so that AMD keep pumping out hardwar that will be fantastic. Intel please jump on board this bandwagon and bring some new life into this game as well; lets see some hardcore wars going here for my money dammit.

I will pay to whoever is making the best hardware for my buck, as of late that has been ATI/AMD but only time will tell if Nvidia Intel or "x" come up with something better.

Microcenter $200 i7. Your arguement saying AMD has better price to performance is invalid. Intel is FAR ahead of AMD. The i5 is more efficient than AMDs 6 cores and in many cases matches their performance. If anyone needs to bring life into the game it isn't intel. It's AMD. Though I can't deny bulldozer looks promising. Though I'm hoping it can use a new socket so AMD can include features like triple channel memory

princeton said:
Microcenter $200 i7. Your arguement saying AMD has better price to performance is invalid. Intel is FAR ahead of AMD. The i5 is more efficient than AMDs 6 cores and in many cases matches their performance. If anyone needs to bring life into the game it isn't intel. It's AMD. Though I can't deny bulldozer looks promising. Though I'm hoping it can use a new socket so AMD can include features like triple channel memory

While I agree with your arguments, they are rather misplaced - this is a discussion about video cards, not CPUs. In which case AMD has definitely been giving a hell of a showing, and Intel isn't even on the radar (other than mobile integrated graphics). But, I'm with you on the promise of Bulldozer - I'm thinking it will make a big leap forward for AMD.

But, I'm with you on the promise of Bulldozer - I'm thinking it will make a big leap forward for AMD.
It had better be, for the sake of both AMD and the consumer.
Judging by the comments attributed to Chekib Akrout at GTC 2010
it looks like BD might have as little as a quarter in the spotlight before Intel's Ivy Bridge arrives in Q1 2012. Hopefully the slippage stops there.

Regarding the story at hand....the card looks like a HD 5000 series. Are AMD duty bound to release cards with the blower-fan shroud? How about updating the design and using a Vapor-X centrally mounted fan/heatsink arrangement.

princeton said:
Microcenter $200 i7. Your arguement saying AMD has better price to performance is invalid.

Microcenters are specialized stores few and far between (23 total). The closest one to me is ~600 miles, so your point is moot. But I do agree with you that AMD needs to bring it and my hopes are on Bulldozer.

Relic said:
princeton said:
Microcenter $200 i7. Your arguement saying AMD has better price to performance is invalid.

Microcenters are specialized stores few and far between (23 total). The closest one to me is ~600 miles, so your point is moot. But I do agree with you that AMD needs to bring it and my hopes are on Bulldozer.

How does microcenter manage to sell I7s at such low prices? Or are all the other retailers just trying to make more money.

Your microcentre point is valid only for one country ... move away from the US and show me a country were then i7 retails for 200$ ( direct conversion rate) ... the i7 930 i got cost me approx $320 when i got in may here in India ...

I'm still waiting for some benchmarks. Hopefully they won't be very expensive compared to the 5xxx series and i want to know if the die shrink (which will happen next year) will bring big changes compered to the ones that will come out this year.

Vrmithrax said:
princeton said:

While I agree with your arguments, they are rather misplaced - this is a discussion about video cards, not CPUs. In which case AMD has definitely been giving a hell of a showing, and Intel isn't even on the radar (other than mobile integrated graphics). But, I'm with you on the promise of Bulldozer - I'm thinking it will make a big leap forward for AMD.

I think he was referring to ATI/AMD and requesting Intel start producing graphics cards that someone would conciser buying instead of only integrated into motherboards (which the average desktop gamer replaces with an ATI/AMD or nvida card a.s.a.p.), and a for processor performance yes Intel is better performance but research I was doing 3 months ago indicated at my (admittedly low) price point AMD offered far better value than Intel and the chipset for the i5 based motherboards is supposedly highly limiting if you are after multiple graphics cards

princeton said:
ow does microcenter manage to sell I7s at such low prices? Or are all the other retailers just trying to make more money.

It's likely a 'loss leader' where MicroCenter takes a financial hit in order to promote the rest of their business. Beforehand, few people knew about MicroCenter, but after their insane i7 pricing, the store became very well known over the internet. MC's strategy is to get people into the store, and once in there, try to sell them products like RAM and Motherboards that are likely priced higher than on Newegg or NCIX.

The $200 i7 is an anomaly, seeing as other retailers charge about one hundred dollars more for the same chip. Therefore, using it as an example of a better price-performance ration than AMD is unfair. You cannot use one single retail outlet to prove whatever point it is you are making; instead, taking an average would be more prudent.

i will give it to ATI for the quality of there cards dey are awesome but expensive. i guess dat is the price u will have to pay for the kind of performance u get off there cards
but Nvidia has some quality as well for a cheaper price an u will get the performance out of it to
i would still buy Nvidia cards there actually good enough for me

i will give it to ATI for the quality of there cards dey are awesome but expensive. i guess dat is the price u will have to pay for the kind of performance u get off there cards
but Nvidia has some quality as well for a cheaper price an u will get the performance out of it to
i would still buy Nvidia cards there actually good enough for me

I believe you have the cards backwards.

EDIT:
This is good news as to I was looking forward to upgrading my GPU in the near future. I currently use the 4870. I want a 5870 but they are still pretty costly for my budget. The release of the 6000 series should reduce the price of the 5870s and hopefully closer to my budget.

Back