AMD Radeon HD 6970 benchmark numbers leaked?

By Jos
Oct 27, 2010
Post New Reply
  1. AMD might have just launched the new Radeon HD 6870 and HD 6850 graphics cards a week ago, but many are already looking forward to the company's real high-end offering: the Cayman-based Radeon HD 6970. We don’t expect the new cards to hit stores until sometime next month, but Chinese-language site Zol.com claims to have got its hands on a sample and has posted some benchmark results for the world to see.

Read the whole story
  2. Ahmed90

Ahmed90 TechSpot Member Posts: 96   +9

looks good

the market is on fire new card every few weeks

to be honest the 6870 is already a hit performance vs price
  3. crzydave

crzydave Newcomer, in training Posts: 23

Now the question is much much is this going to retail for?
  4. Jetatt23

Jetatt23 Newcomer, in training Posts: 28

It's exciting how ATI and Nvidia keep turning out quality cards, but my HD4890 is already starting to look really slow. Sign me up for one!
  5. Davidoff

Davidoff TechSpot Member Posts: 46

i might actually switch over to radeon for a change :)
  6. Cueto_99

Cueto_99 TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 237   +11

'with the Radeon HD 6970 allegedly scoring 23,499 on the first one while delivering 36.6fps on the Unigine benchmark running at 1920 x 1,080 with 4x anti-aliasing and 16x anisotropic filtering.' ...Without consuming a nuclear power plant and heating more than a volcano in eruption ;)
  7. SilverCider

SilverCider Newcomer, in training Posts: 72

Let's hope so :p
  8. TomSEA

TomSEA TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,231   +314

How is it all these video card leaks are coming from China? Same thing with the two 460 GPU card mentioned the other day.
  9. klepto12

klepto12 TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,364   +9

The 6970 looks great if it can deliver on the performance side without killing everyone's PSU. I personally would love to have one of these bad boys. i would have thought that the 6970 would have been 30% faster than the 5870 to make it a worth while upgrade for most people looks like the 7000 series are going to be the next big thing from AMD.
  10. Cueto_99

Cueto_99 TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 237   +11

Cause videocards are manufactured there... So they have early access to products...
  11. Afroaggie

Afroaggie Newcomer, in training Posts: 30

ATI has definitely stepped up it's competition in the last year or two. Prior to that I didn't even consider purchasing an ATI card.
  12. drasho

drasho Newcomer, in training Posts: 62

looks pretty good but ill wait until i see some ingame stats. I wonder how much it gonna cost
  13. Eddo22

Eddo22 TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 134

"the company's real high-end offering"

Technically, the Cayman is a replacement for the 5870. The 'Real' high end offering is the Monster 'Antilles' supposedly due for an early December release. :D

14. tacobfm

tacobfm Newcomer, in training Posts: 59

I think they might have to have to recreate a new way to liquid cool. I won't say anything official till the official specs come out.
  15. kazarm

kazarm Newcomer, in training Posts: 29

Nice card. I wonder how i will compare to the new GTX 580
  16. ColdFusion1990

ColdFusion1990 Newcomer, in training Posts: 141

I'm surprised at how well my 9800GTX+ has kept up with the times, but looking at this, I may have to upgrade sometime this year
  17. HaMsTeYr

HaMsTeYr TechSpot Maniac Posts: 387

Seeing as how the 6850/6870 Is such a vast improvement over its REAL predecessor (the 5770), I'd say this is entirely possible, and more.

This means that there's going to be a 6950 as well... right? :3 Somehow just looking at the numbers gets me off xD

OH, and its about time AMD gave a beating back to nVidia anyway. Team green has been too complacent, sitting back on their recliners, getting shiatsu massages while drinking whiskey, talking about good times haha
  18. edison5do

edison5do Newcomer, in training Posts: 239

My HD 4850 looks like a baby now, im rellay really getting deperate waiting for Xmast.
  19. Any guess on how much will it cost?
  20. sMILEY4ever

sMILEY4ever TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 156

The numbers are indeed impressive. I wonder what the performance/watt is.
  21. zogo

zogo Newcomer, in training Posts: 53

I will gladly invest my savings in this card, I just hope the price will be awesome like the card :)
  22. prototip

prototip Newcomer, in training

Is not all that impressive when the next gen Dual-GPU (6970) produces approximately 19% more fps than 5870!
  23. dividebyzero

dividebyzero trainee n00b Posts: 4,700   +586

Firstly, I'd say that NDA (Non Disclosure Agreement) means nothing in the Chinese tech community- You may have noted that China plays by it's own set of rules. Secondly, most "leaks" like this are condoned, if not prompted by the company itself. Gradual "leaking" of specs and appearance ramp interest in a product without the company itself having to resort to a "paper launch" (Fermi excepted) and risking a waning of that interest by the time of actual product launch.
    Speculation on what could/should/will be fuels the internet forums generating a much more long-lived PR campaign than does a simple company press release and slide deck at a trade show.

Regarding the HD 6970....I thought the numbers seemed a little low. I was fully expecting a 25-30% improvement over the HD 5870 (so 15-20% over the GTX 480 by extrapolation). Either AMD is leaving some performance on the table for future upgrades, they are foxing just in case nvidia is toying with a GTX 580 release, or the thermals of the new chip are higher than expected.
  24. gman9999

gman9999 Newcomer, in training

Depending on price of the HD6970 the HD6870 looks good to me right now.
  25. 6850 and 6870 are based on Barts single core technology
    6950 and 6970 will be based on Cayman single core technology
    6990 will be based on Antilles dual core technology
    this means that 6970 is a Single core GPU and it is the replacement for today's 5870 GPU.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.