TechSpot

AMD Radeon HD 6990 specs leaked, rumored for March 8

By Matthew
Mar 1, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. We first saw the upcoming Radeon HD 6990's specifications last November when an internal slide leaked online, but many details remained unknown -- until now. More slides have appeared on DonanimHaber, revealing nearly everything eager shoppers might want to know, except pricing.

Read the whole story
  2. madboyv1

madboyv1 TechSpot Paladin Posts: 955   +49

67% huh? A lofty claim. Can't wait to see real reviews.
  3. Sarcasm

Sarcasm TS Enthusiast Posts: 343   +20

Interested in seeing the price. $700???
  4. dividebyzero

dividebyzero trainee n00b Posts: 4,849   +679

Good to hear that TS are getting a review sample. Myself and red1776 were debating on whether AMD would build enough cards to cater for everyone !
    Any word on if the AIB's will enforce AMD's edict that using the second BIOS switch setting and/or AMD Overdrive automatically voids any warranty claim ?
    - From the fine print in this slide.
  5. DKRON

DKRON TS Enthusiast Posts: 559   +11

If the stats are true the price would equal the difference in performance atleast, thats insane performance
  6. KG363

KG363 TS Enthusiast Posts: 524   +9

To simplify it for me, what crossfired cards would it be closest to?
  7. dividebyzero

At stock clocks (830 core/shader/5000 mem) Better than Crossfired HD 6950's, worse than Crossfired HD 6970's
    At the "oc'ed" clocks (880 core/shader/5000 Mem) the card will be close to HD 6970 Crossfire -the only difference being the lower memory frequency (HD6970 runs at 5500 effective).
  8. Raswan

Raswan TS Enthusiast Posts: 280

375w is a sick amount of TDP. Running two of these bad boys and an i7 you'd need a thousand watt psu. wicked.
  9. dividebyzero

And then some.

(375 x 2) + 180 to 250w -assuming you are oc'ing the CPU, probably a fair assumption if you're going quadfire gives, you 880-950w.
    Bear in mind that most very good 1kw+ PSU's are in the 85-88% efficiency range, you're most likely looking at 1200w, and that leaves very little margin for error.
    Hit the 880MHz clock profile (415-450w) and your looking for a 1500 watter that can handle a 187.5w power draw through each 150w rated PCI-E 8pin line, which probably goes some way to explaining why AMD will void the warranty if things go badly with this card when overclocked.

Having said that, if Nvidia follow the same "performance at any cost" approach with the GTX 590, then rest assured that it wont be just the quadfire owners checking out the 100 amp PSU's. Still, if you can afford $US1300+ (my estimate) of GPU's then sourcing a big PSU, or a chassis with dual-PSU mounting ability and a couple of 1kw class units shouldn't represent too much of a hurdle.
  10. red1776

red1776 Omnipotent Ruler of the Universe Posts: 5,897   +88

hahaha, now my 1650W/132A doesn't seem so dumb does it?? ...or maybe it does:wave: I had my machine pegged for almost 1300w at full load, since then, I have seen a couple articles/charts that shows an amazing economy of scale as it were for multiple ( 2+ cards). Not sure I'm buying it. These things are load leveled and using AFR. where exactly would the (in my case) supposed 25%+ economy come from?
  11. Raswan

Raswan TS Enthusiast Posts: 280

My Antec 550 is looking punier by the second... :)

12. dividebyzero

Who opined that ? Obviously someone who shouldn't be labelled an "enthusiast".
    No such thing as too much power...unless you're using such a small percentage of the output that the efficiency tanks- but I doubt people pick up a 1500w Strider to power an HTPC.

The big question is how are the reviews going to reflect the actual card?
    Most sites tend to bench at stock, and measure thermals, noise and power consumption for the same. Most sites also through in OC'ed results but tend to gloss over increased noise/power consumption/heat- mostly because I suspect that overclocks are subjective (non standard). What happens when you have a card that has essentially standardized two modes of operation - double benchmarks in all categories ? Bearing in mind that the card could/can be overclocked further than the 880 setting...three sets of benchmarks?
  13. red1776

I have just taken crap for "overkill" even though it is obviously not.

That will be fun to see how the various sites handle the reviews. I would say that some would like to opt out of the 'second switch' set of reviews, however they may not have a choice as they will get scooped if they do.
    yes...but this is for the heavyweight title. I suspect that Guru's review may be about 50 pages! LOL
  14. Classic Rock

Classic Rock TS Member Posts: 92

What I am interested in is the performance of these cards in Xfire on the new 1155 platform. I might be mistaken, but I believe that these new motherboards only run SLI and Xfire in x8 instead of the x16 the x58 motherboards can handle.

From what I have read, I'll give links below, even the 480 is too powerful to be used in SLI in a x8 setup without losing performance. Wouldn't these cards being more powerful lose even more performance in Xfire on a x8 setup?

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/NVIDIA/GTX_480_PCI-Express_Scaling/1.html
  15. Per Hansson

Per Hansson TS Server Guru Posts: 1,930   +123 Staff Member

16. dividebyzero

Hence my musing on the 187.5w draw on nominal 150w cables.
    I think benching and using the card comes with some interesting caveats. I don't think I can ever remember a component being released that when used at a manufacturers setting has the ability to take down the core elements of a system.
    Theoretically most good PSU's shouldn't be stressed to provide 187.5w/15.6A over a line built for 150w/12.5A, but that doesn't take into account multi-rail PSU's where the total wattage might be acceptable but is split over 6-8 seperate 12V rails and individual rail overhead is low. Nor does it take into account PSU ageing or the utilization of peripheral(Molex) to PCI-E adapters -the latter could be a real cause for concern if the card comes bundled with them.

I'm hopeful that AMD and it's board partners make the BIOS switch and it's implications crystal clear to users. Most buyers of the cards should have enough of a knowledge base to work out for themselves what is involved, but there will be a segment of buyers who will buy simply because the bar graphs and framerate numbers look the best.
    You rollin', they hatin'

I'm guessing it's e-peen envy and/or a severe lack of technical knowledge...both of which I'm guessing will come a HUGE shock to you :rolleyes:. The rest simply are either flaming for fun or have a completely different set of checkboxes ticked for their own personal needs and are too intransigent or lack the imagination to see past their own situation.
    My advice: have fun with 'em until it gets boring then hit the ignore setting when/if it gets repititious.
  17. fpsgamerJR62

fpsgamerJR62 TS Rookie Posts: 489

If the BIOS switch is there, then somebody's likely to use it regardless of all the disclaimers and legalities in the fine print. When that happens, somebody's PSU could get blown up or his PC badly damaged and AMD could be in a real load of trouble and for what ? some nice benchmark numbers to post against Nvidia ? By the way, they call it "fine print" because it usually is too small to read so most people never bother to read it anyway.
  18. TrekExpert

TrekExpert TS Enthusiast Posts: 104

Wow. That's a powerful graphics card. Does anyone know if a 4 way x-fire setup is possible with this?
  19. red1776

if by ' 4 way x-fire' you mean two cards, yes it has a crossfire bridge so you can add a second card.
  20. Relic

Relic TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,392   +16

Man that looks powerful...one day I will build myself a crazy system with something like this =D.
  21. TrekExpert

No, I mean if you can have 4 of these cards set up in a cross fire configuration.
  22. dividebyzero

No.
    Crossfire supports a maximum of four GPU's -either 2 dual gpu cards, 4 single gpu cards or 1 dual and 2 single gpu cards.

Having more than four GPU's is only applicable for a render/folding farm, not gaming.
  23. TrekExpert

Ah Ok, thanks.
  24. Schadenfreude

Schadenfreude TS Rookie

Can anyone tell me how many 8800GT OC will make one HD 6990 just for sake of comparision. I bought my 8800gt back in 2009 and I am able to play all games at high-res. Dont want to upgrade for 1 yr.
  25. dividebyzero

If you don't want to upgrade for a year then dont bother worrying about the 6990. By the time you're ready to upgrade this card will be on eBay for relative peanuts.

Want to do some ghetto comparitive benchmarking see how Crossfired HD6970's do against a GTS 450 (a slightly higher performing card than the 8800GT)

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.