AMD Radeon HD 8000M now shipping, new APUs unveiled

By Jos
Jan 8, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. AMD's Radeon HD 8000M family was officially announced last month, but with CES now underway the company has taken the chance to inform us that their latest generation mobile GPUs are now shipping in products from Asus and Samsung, with...

Read more
  2. PC nerd

PC nerd TechSpot Booster Posts: 320   +36

Man, they're really pumping these things out.

I swear there was a bigger gap between the 5xxx-6xxx series.

I haven't even bought a 7xxx series GPU yet and the 8xxx are here.
  3. ghasmanjr

ghasmanjr TechSpot Booster Posts: 363   +86

This is disappointing and not at all surprising. With AMD not trying with the 8970, this could end up like the AMD vs Intel processor war where Intel doesn't care because AMD bombed with bulldozer. I want the 780 to demolish the 8970, but I doubt that'll happen now. At least hurry up and release these so the 680s can drop in price lol.
  4. dividebyzero

dividebyzero trainee n00b Posts: 4,784   +639

If Sea Islands is delayed to the second half of the year then you might see the HD 8000's as mostly* a rebrand OEM series (like the Nvidia 100 and 300 series) and Sea Islands become the HD 9000 series...or maybe the OVR 9000 series. Wouldn't surprise me to see AMD leverage ATi's history with a HD 9800 Pro/XT part.

Not sure how the HD 8350 is actually viable. The card was previously the HD 7350...the HD 6350...and the HD 5450. You'd need to have a pretty weak IGP option to make the 8350/5450 a "step up" in performance.

* The HD 8670 and HD 8570 at least seem to be Sea Islands based (Oland)
  5. ikesmasher

ikesmasher TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 1,862   +344

Since its a rebadge I figure its probably better to buy a 7xxx series when the 8xxx series come out, because they will be much cheaper?
  6. dividebyzero

dividebyzero trainee n00b Posts: 4,784   +639

If all the HD 8000's remain OEM parts it shouldn't affect HD 7000 pricing, unless the OEM parts start finding their way into retail- as sometimes happens.
    AMD could also slot in a HD 7000 refresh into the 8000 series numbering (similar to the HD 4870 / 4890 convention), with an HD 8980 -or even 8990 if AMD aren't using the 8000 series for high end Sea Islands*. I don't think either AMD nor Nvidia can wring too much more performance out of their present parts (Tahiti / Pitcairn/ GK 104/ GK 106) so things should stay relatively boring until one of the IHV's blinks first- though both seem happy to clear inventory and recoup some investment in their present cards. Nvidia's next release is shaping up to be a snoozer also ( the GTX 660 SE ).

*The dual GPU Sea Islands part is supposedly code named Aruba ( 1 Aruba = 2 Curacao !?)
  7. Per Hansson

Per Hansson TS Server Guru Posts: 1,917   +119 Staff Member

My head hurts, damn renaming bullshit!
    cliffordcooley likes this.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.