AMD set to host RDNA 3 livestream event on November 3

Shawn Knight

Staff member
In brief: AMD will share more information about its upcoming RDNA (Radeon DNA) 3 architecture during a livestream next month. The event, dubbed "together we advance_gaming," takes place on November 3 at 1 p.m. Pacific / 4 p.m. Eastern. AMD confirmed the date last month on the very day that Nvidia introduced its GeForce RTX 40 series GPUs, but now we have a time attached to the event.

Viewers can expect executives to share details on the next-gen architecture, which AMD described as high performing and energy efficient. AMD back in June said RDNA 3 will offer a 50 percent performance per watt uplift over RDNA 2 and will be built on a 5nm manufacturing process courtesy of TSMC. RDNA 3 will also support AV1 encoding and unlike Nvidia's RTX 4000 series, it will come with DisplayPort 2.0.

A replay of the RDNA 3 event will be available online a few hours after the conclusion should you not be able to watch live.

Recent rumors suggest team red's first two Radeon RX 7000 series cards could launch as early as the second half of December. The leaker suggested AMD's top-tier card might struggle to compete with Nvidia's RTX 4090 in terms of rasterized and ray-traced performance, perhaps an indication that it could win by a significant margin when it comes to pricing.

Nvidia's GeForce RTX 4090 starts at an eye-watering $1,599, assuming you can find one to buy. The card officially launched on October 12 but has been hard to come by. A quick check of recently sold cards on eBay revealed an average selling price well north of $2,000.

Nvidia also announced two RTX 4080 variants due out in November but later "unlaunched" the 12GB variant. The company said having two GPUs with the 4080 designation was confusing, but many consumers believed Nvidia was trying to pull a fast one by branding the 12GB variant as a 4080 instead of a 4070.

Do you believe AMD will significantly undercut Nvidia on pricing, or will they follow suit and force buyers to pay a premium to play ball?

Permalink to story.

Oh yisss!

TLDR

a8a5f1f9a2b443f4d535bcdf8a8441bb956b7d26c33fe0e53f3d44a4ff9a98a0.gif

"Together we advance gaming" - this is an interesting title in contrast to "Beyond Fast". One says, join us, the other says, our products are too good for you peasants. This is especially true when you couple the "Beyond Fast" with a massive generational price increase to the 80 level cards. But can AMD convince us of its value proposition? Will they actually undercut Nvidia with GPUs that can compete across the board? I guess we'll have to wait two weeks to find out.

This is one event I'm looking forward to. If the CPU launch was only for reading, this time I'm real interested in getting a GPU. Not on day one of course, I like to take my time reading reviews and some user opinions before make a move.

But can AMD convince us of its value proposition? Will they actually undercut Nvidia with GPUs that can compete across the board? I guess we'll have to wait two weeks to find out.
AMD forever the budget brand. They still haven't managed to drop that reputation.

I certainly hope they undercut and outperform NVidia. We need this competition to drive down the absurd MSRP's everyone is guilty of edging up. I contend the video card mfgs are just as complicit in the discrete card price gouging as the scalpers and miners because of unreasonable MSRP's.

The problem with that is that people want AMD to offer better/faster GPUs to force nvidia to drop prices so the same people can still buy a damned nvidia GPU.

AMD simply has no hope.
nah. People simply wants to have competition, and I'm happy with my 6900xt which costed me as much as 4090 now;). Next gpu will be AMD as well.

nah. People simply wants to have competition, and I'm happy with my 6900xt which costed me as much as 4090 now;). Next gpu will be AMD as well.
You, myself and a couple more, are the exception, not the rule, sadly.

Last edited by a moderator:
AMD forever the budget brand. They still haven't managed to drop that reputation.
Well, it takes sustained outperformance to kill the reputation as the slower cheaper by necessity brand. AMD beats Nvidia sometimes but it is not consistent, it is not sustained, it is always a step behind.

I am saying this as a lifelong ATI/AMD buyer, the products are fantastic but it will never be considered premium until it can beat Nvidia for the crown 2 or 3 times in a row.

AMD is not a budget brand at all. However, they are clearly not in a position to take Nvidia on head-to-head in the GPU market, yet. RDNA 3 may be a transitional product for AMD, but it is going to have to prove itself on its own merit and value. After all, we are talking about processing power here, if all else is equal, you would always choose the best product (for a gaming GPU, the one that can provide the best framerates) for the price you are willing to pay. However, not all else is equal, Nvidia has a really good product and offers benefits beyond just raw processing power that AMD is currently not matching, but AMD is catching up.

Well, one thing's for certain... Pretty much all of AMD's North American audience for this event will be unemployed. What a great idea they had, hold the event on a work day during work hours!

Well, I won't be seeing it, that's for damn sure! :mad:

Well, one thing's for certain... Pretty much all of AMD's North American audience for this event will be unemployed. What a great idea they had, hold the event on a work day during work hours!

Well, I won't be seeing it, that's for damn sure! :mad:
Thats what I mostly do, but something even crazier, like clock work, something always and I mean ALWAYS happens that wont allow me to properly watch any of these keynotes.

Thats what I mostly do, but something even crazier, like clock work, something always and I mean ALWAYS happens that wont allow me to properly watch any of these keynotes.
Yeah, it's like, what's the point? If they had it at like 6pm EST, their audience would be massive because people in Europe who want to see it will see it at 11pm and the majority of people in North America would see it.

Even better, hold it on a Saturday at 4pm EST and they'd get ALL of North America, ALL of Europe and ALL of Africa. Unfortunately for Steve and Tim, they're buggered no matter what. :laughing:

Yeah, it's like, what's the point? If they had it at like 6pm EST, their audience would be massive because people in Europe who want to see it will see it at 11pm and the majority of people in North America would see it.

Even better, hold it on a Saturday at 4pm EST and they'd get ALL of North America, ALL of Europe and ALL of Africa. Unfortunately for Steve and Tim, they're buggered no matter what. :laughing:
I dont know why, but besides this been relevant, your comment reminded me of this old Flash movie:

It's funny all this big news about RDNA3 when thare are still many people who buyed 5700/XT and 6000 series reporting drivers problems and bugs in games :( first fix the first generations to work like normal and then relase a new hardware ?

It's funny all this big news about RDNA3 when thare are still many people who buyed 5700/XT and 6000 series reporting drivers problems and bugs in games :( first fix the first generations to work like normal and then relase a new hardware ?
I own an XFX RX 5700 XT THICC-III and I also own an OG ATi-Reference RX 6800 XT. Guess what? They both run rock solid with no driver issues at all. I even ran them both in a mining rig for six months without issue.

I don't know what kind of losers you've been reading posts from but they're either lying or they're so inept that they'd have the same problem with ANY video card.

Maybe you shouldn't be paying attention to false propaganda.

I own an XFX RX 5700 XT THICC-III and I also own an OG ATi-Reference RX 6800 XT. Guess what? They both run rock solid with no driver issues at all.
There were big issues in the past and people remember those. Up to 500 series lots of bugs. RDNA got rid of some of them and RDNA2 have even less.
It's software after all, where every vendor still have issues. Some can be corrected and some depend on hardware.

There were big issues in the past and people remember those. Up to 500 series lots of bugs. RDNA got rid of some of them and RDNA2 have even less.
It's software after all, where every vendor still have issues. Some can be corrected and some depend on hardware.
The RX 500-series came out when? The XFX RX 5700 XT Triple Dissipation did give me problems in the beginning but they were hardware issues, not driver issues. Once I RMA'd my card, the one I received (a THICC-III) has given me ZERO issues.

As for my RX 6800 XT, I've never had a problem with it. For that matter, I never had a problem with my HD 4870s, my HD 7970s or my R9 Furies either. The RX 5700 XT was the first card that gave me headaches (and they were power-cycle crashes which only hardware can do).

To say that GeForce cards don't have problems of their own and Radeons are garbage is false propaganda spread by shills.

I get that Nvidia has a premium - but when you see folks paying hundreds of dollars more for less FPS - reminds me off people paying more for branded one sugar than supermarkets own brand .
Same pain killer - no won't buy generic for 30% of cost as won't work - no won't buy head ache one as I need it for period pain - yes it's 30% more - but this is the one for me ( companies actually did this ).- Higher price ones may have better delivery system to body

Anyway their money.

Expecting RDNA3 to outperform NVIDIA 4000series would be kinda too naive, imo. Honestly, if their x8xx series can perform equally with better price than the 4080, it will be a win for them.

What I care about is the TDP cause in the end, what's the point if you pay 600euros/usd more per year (50 monthly) for 20 o 30 more FPS ? In the time of recession or inflation, efficiency is the essential key, not feature gimmick or marketing bs 🤔 Anw, just my point of view about something I consider a luxury toy.

To say that GeForce cards don't have problems of their own and Radeons are garbage is false propaganda spread by shills.
Never said that, I always say about Radeons (up to rx500) just excellent hardware with shlt drivers for gaming at launch.
RDNA2 I never had for daily use, so I can't say much here. My kid pc has an RDNA1 5600 if I remember, but seen some strange issues too with launch drivers.
Had no issues with Radeons on Linux but tons with Nvidia.
Even intel igpu has less issues here.
Until now both dGPU vendors had drivers issues on Win. Now Intel in schema maybe people will forget Radeons drivers.

Hopefully, RDNA3 is not following the current trend of hot and power hungry. I already discarded GeForce 4090, Corei9 13900 and Ryzen 7950X from my list. I don't want more performance at the cost of crazy heat and electricity consumption. If the Radeon 7900XT keeps heat and power consumption tamed, it can be my new card. If not so, I will keep my 6900XT for another generation.

Back