TechSpot

AMD slashes price of eight-core FX-8150 CPU in response to Ivy Bridge

By Shawn Knight
Apr 25, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. AMD has recently dropped the price of their flagship eight-core FX-8150, no doubt in response to the abundance of press that Intel has been receiving about Ivy Bridge. The high-end...

Read the whole story

2. venomblade

venomblade TS Rookie Posts: 69

Eh...it's still Bulldozer..

3. howzz1854

howzz1854 TS Maniac Posts: 585   +79

you couldn't GIVE that thing away. i wouldn't want to run that in my desktop.

4. veLa

veLa TS Booster Posts: 530   +88

The weakest AMD has ever been.

5. captainawesome

captainawesome TS Guru Posts: 418   +42

One has to wonder how they managed to fall this far behind

6. H3llion

H3llion TechSpot Paladin Posts: 974   +99

Id take it anyday over my DualCore :3 Although my clock speed is JUICY its still a dualcore :(

7. ikesmasher

ikesmasher TS Evangelist Posts: 1,966   +389

id rather give my business to AMD over intel any day.

8. EEatGDL

EEatGDL TS Booster Posts: 291   +50

It's entirely your choice. I don't upgrade frequently so when I do, if it's the best option I switch indistinctly between NVIDIA-AMD/Intel-AMD at the time of buying the upgrades or building a new rig. I took that decision after bad experiences in different graphics generations with AMD or NVIDIA and after the huge disappointment of a big fail Pentium D.

9. gwailo247

gwailo247 TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,105   +18

For the past six-seven years I decided to run both Intel and AMD systems, and the one good thing about AMD is that their sockets are relatively stable as compared to Intel, so when these chips drop in prices like this one, you can pick up a pretty powerful CPU and slap it in.

10. dividebyzero

dividebyzero trainee n00b Posts: 4,946   +728

Really? I was under the impression that for the most part, motherboards with FX CPU compatibility only date from (at the earliest for a select number of boards) ~ May 2010 ( 890FX/870 late revision) - I'm not even sure if Asus have guaranteed FX support for their AM3 socket boards. Unless Piledriver is AM3 compatible, I'd hazard a guess and say that X58 (4 years, 11 Nov 2008 to 7 Dec 2012), P35 (4.5 years, June 2007- 30 Dec 2011), and P67 (which will 2.5 years old before Haswell -LGA1150- is even introduced) are probably in the running for best supported boards/chipsets.

11. I'll pay 100 bucks for this but no more!

I5 is a better option at this price

12. gwailo247

gwailo247 TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,105   +18

Yes, quantity has a quality all of its own. You're right as always.

13. dividebyzero

dividebyzero trainee n00b Posts: 4,946   +728

Tough to beat the juggernaut. Core 2 and 965P became the sexy combination (8GB RAM capacity woo-hoo!), and more people gravitate to the front runners than the underdog. We of course are paying the price now with ever increasing chipset segmentation- seven Cougar Point and six Panther Point chipsets all using client LGA1155 (and another eleven using the mobile equivalents). Lynx Point for Haswell (LGA1150) at this juncture looks to follow the trend.

Which I suppose validates the proverb "You can have too much of a good thing"

14. Awesome value.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.