AMD to abandon its processor brand names?

Matthew DeCarlo

Staff

According to a document spotted by X-bit labs, AMD plans to abandon its established Sempron, Athlon and Phenom processor brand names with upcoming products. The company will divide new processors into different categories of Vision platforms and stamp them with basic model classifications and numerical identifiers, but no brand name.

We've already seen this with the newly launched Fusion APUs (Accelerated Processing Units). The Ontario and Zacate chips are simply called the AMD C-30, C-50, E-240 and E-350. AMD's Llano and Zambezi desktop APUs are expected to use a similar scheme, with the former being mid-range A-series chips and the latter becoming the high-end FX-series.

AMD says its Brazos ultrathin platform (which includes the aforementioned Ontario and Zacate APUs) forgoes component branding so OEM partners can use their desired names without sub-brands getting in the way. By excluding product brands, AMD also places more emphasis on its corporate identity -- X-bit labs compares this to Mercedes cars.

"Vision is AMD's contribution, which comes with the intention of simplifying the purchasing for folks who know what they want to do with their PC and don't care to learn the intricate sub-component technical nuances to make a buying decision. Will we do the same with Llano and Zambezi? You'll have to wait and see," said AMD spokesman Damon Muzny.

Permalink to story.

Already I'm calling the desktop chips Llama and Zombies. I think this will help me favor AMD chips again.

I'm sorry but I don't agree!

I think, Llano must be labeling like Athlon III and Bulldozer must be Phenom III.

Suggestions:

AMD Pentium 5

AMD Sandy Bull

AMD Poison Ivy

and last

AMD Bullcrap

:)

As long as the model classifications make it easy for us to determine a particular processor's performance level, I'm OK with any simplified naming scheme that AMD will introduce with its next generation of processors. Both companies haven't exactly come up with inspired choices for the names of their CPUs and chipsets in recent years.

Why are AMD abandoning everything? really first their video card name 'ATI' now this, I think their CPU names are cool especially 'Phenom' sounds like a tarantula =P

These people are freaking crazy!! more than 8 years making a name and after they made a place for that name (Phenom) they will just abandom them!??? and now its going to star all over again trying to introduce a new name into the market will give them a little but eyefull slow down on it sales and brand value for customers.

I swear that if I just get enough butget I will throw away any AMD Stuff in my case ( Excep the ATI card, I sinply love EyeFinity) :)

Instead of getting their cpus better they're going to abandon cpu names.

Quite sad from AMD this. The first processor i bought was a Sempron.

I mean yeah it was overpriced and crap but still...You never forget your first (as they say).

I don't see any problem with this, as long as it is executed properly. Emphasizing the brand is especially important, given that many people can identify 'Intel' but not 'AMD.'

For enthusiasts, it's a hassle, but then it'll only take a day or two until things we have things figured out.

Bit sad by this as I currently like the names they use. It seems pretty straight forward to me and this new naming scheme seems like it might add more confusion then it solves amongst the consumer, especially with marketing spin imo. I also don't think knowing the differences between processor names is a "technical nuance", but hey that's just me.

DokKRokken said:
Emphasizing the brand is especially important, given that many people can identify 'Intel' but not 'AMD.'

Not sure if it would make a huge difference given that Intel has been running ads for sometime branding there image to a mainstream audience which I would imagine helps more then rebranding.

I don't see any problem with this, as long as it is executed properly. Emphasizing the brand is especially important, given that many people can identify 'Intel' but not 'AMD.'

For enthusiasts, it's a hassle, but then it'll only take a day or two until things we have things figured out.
Not sure if it would make a huge difference given that Intel has been running ads for sometime branding there image to a mainstream audience which I would imagine helps more then rebranding.

That is ultimately a product of OEM's. Component buyers/system builders like the majority of us here are a miniscule percentage of the market. How Dell, Hewlett-Packard, Acer etc. push the "Vision" branding will be how that brand enters (or doesn't) the public subconscious. A large proportion of the non-tech savvy public are more than familiar with the "Intel inside" logo thanks to the massive product placement featured both in the media and the sticker placed prominently on every generic box that sits on every generic desktop.

Obviously AMD see the "new broom" approach as a chance to re-invent themselves (axeing/pushing Dirk Meyer, and now Robert Rivet and Marty Seyer, killing the ATi brand, adding the "Vision" branding and "Gaming Evolved" program) and probably represents AMD's big dice-roll to move out of Intel's shadow....and to remain an independant company, since I'm pretty sure ATIC/Mubadala would be more than happy to pick up the pieces of AMD they don't already have in a rock-bottom share buyout.

It'll be interesting whether it will help in advertising. The reason I think it will appeal to the general public is because AMD is presenting this as a complete platform. It makes things appear less complicated, and a Best Buy salesman can say 'it just works because it's all the same brand!' We as enthusiasts know this isn't necessarily true, but for the uninitiated, presenting the components as one cohesive unit is desirable. It is certainly what helps sell Apple, the 'ecosystem.' AMD will never have that same cachet with 'Vision,' but they can at least try.

Of course, this will depend on whether AMD gets its rear in gear with marketing. That's going to be a pretty big, fat rabbit to pull out of a hat.

At first I felt like shocked as I heard these. You don't just get rid of the brand names behind which you've invested sereous resource to get a foothold in market and people's mind. You don't do something like that unless you've already pressed the panic button Or you're quite confident of your future products. I think AMD have some good news on BD chips(Oh I hope so!). One can see how they ditched the ATI brandname only after they came to a position from where they could afford to see into the things in a long run. That is exicuting two fairly successful generations of gpus on their own. They would've never dared such a feat back in the days of ATI 3xxx gpus. So either the guys at AMD are convinced by the potential of their upcoming chips or they are just playing a bad marketing card here that's gonna hurt'em. I don't know whether they got rid of Dirk Meyers to provide more competetion for Intel or to make things easier for ATIC to gobble them up! Clearing things up like CEOs and brand-names could be the steps to simplify the transaction. I surely hope things don't take such a turn, or we're doomed. Can't buy only extreme editions.

edison5do said:
I swear that if I just get enough butget I will throw away any AMD Stuff in my case ( Excep the ATI card, I sinply love EyeFinity) :)

Wow... so if any company decides a name change for any of their future products, you'll just completely throw away what you already have?

Send it to me if you don't want it. :p

Well maybe branding is important but what is more important is getting C/GPUs to higher clock rates than 3.4Ghz and add cores which is mainly the same technology we have now only faster and with more cores; NEW technology deserves NEW names otherwise looks like a dumb re-branding and people won't support that.

Back