Solved Another possible "system check" virus

tman123

Hi, today my computer appears to have been infected by the "system check" virus. It rendered my laptop inoperable while popping up windows indicating I had a hard disk error. I restarted in safe mode and ran unhide so I can view my files. I then followed the 5 stickied steps. Here's my logs:

Malwarebytes:

<log removed>

The GMER log was blank, there is nothing to paste. Did I do something wrong?

DDS: DDS.txt -
<log removed>

Attach.txt -
<log removed>

Please inform me what the next steps should be. I do not wish to take my computer out of safe mode until I am sure the issue is resolved.

Welcome aboard
yahooo.gif

Please, observe following rules:
  • Read all of my instructions very carefully. Your mistakes during cleaning process may have very serious consequences, like unbootable computer.
  • If you're stuck, or you're not sure about certain step, always ask before doing anything else.
  • Please refrain from running tools or applying updates other than those I suggest.
  • Never run more than one scan at a time.
  • Keep updating me regarding your computer behavior, good, or bad.
  • The cleaning process, once started, has to be completed. Even if your computer appears to act better, it may still be infected. Once the computer is totally clean, I'll certainly let you know.
  • If you leave the topic without explanation in the middle of a cleaning process, you may not be eligible to receive any more help in malware removal forum.
  • I close my topics if you have not replied in 5 days. If you need more time, simply let me know. If I closed your topic and you need it to be reopened, simply PM me.

=============================================================

Restart in normal mode, see how computer is doing there.
Update MBAM, run another scan and post new log.

So in normal mode things are at least barely functional, but appear to be running slower. The desktop background is still gone and the start menu is missing is right-hand links. I'm not sure if the virus is gone or not.

I updated and re-ran MBAM:

<log removed>

Does this mean my computer is clean?

No. We still have things to do.

See if you can change background manually.

the start menu is missing is right-hand links
See my manual here: http://www.smartestcomputing.us.com/topic/49859-missing-items-from-main-start-menu-window-fix/

Then....

Download aswMBR to your desktop.
Double click the aswMBR.exe to run it.
If you see this question: Would you like to download latest Avast! virus definitions?" say "Yes".
Click the "Scan" button to start scan.
On completion of the scan click "Save log", save it to your desktop and post in your next reply.

NOTE. aswMBR will create MBR.dat file on your desktop. This is a copy of your MBR. Do NOT delete it.

===========================================================

Please download ComboFix from Here or Here to your Desktop.

**Note: In the event you already have Combofix, this is a new version that I need you to download. It is important that it is saved directly to your desktop**
  1. Please, never rename Combofix unless instructed.
  2. Close any open browsers.
  3. Close/disable all anti virus and anti malware programs so they do not interfere with the running of ComboFix.
    • Very Important! Temporarily disable your anti-virus, script blocking and any anti-malware real-time protection before performing a scan. They can interfere with ComboFix or remove some of its embedded files which may cause "unpredictable results".
    • Click on this link to see a list of programs that should be disabled. The list is not all inclusive. If yours is not listed and you don't know how to disable it, please ask.
    NOTE1. If Combofix asks you to install Recovery Console, please allow it.
    NOTE 2. If Combofix asks you to update the program, always do so.
    • Close any open browsers.
    • WARNING: Combofix will disconnect your machine from the Internet as soon as it starts
    • Please do not attempt to re-connect your machine back to the Internet until Combofix has completely finished.
    • If there is no internet connection after running Combofix, then restart your computer to restore back your connection.
  4. Double click on combofix.exe & follow the prompts.
  5. When finished, it will produce a report for you.
  6. Please post the "C:\ComboFix.txt"
**Note 1: Do not mouseclick combofix's window while it's running. That may cause it to stall
**Note 2 for AVG and CA Internet Security users: ComboFix will not run until AVG/CA Internet Security is uninstalled as a protective measure against the anti-virus. This is because AVG/CA Internet Security "falsely" detects ComboFix (or its embedded files) as a threat and may remove them resulting in the tool not working correctly which in turn can cause "unpredictable results". Since AVG/CA Internet Security cannot be effectively disabled before running ComboFix, the author recommends you to uninstall AVG/CA Internet Security first.
Use AppRemover to uninstall it: https://www.techspot.com/downloads/5514-appremover.html
We can reinstall it when we're done with CF.

**Note 3: If you receive an error "Illegal operation attempted on a registery key that has been marked for deletion", restart computer to fix the issue.

Make sure, you re-enable your security programs, when you're done with Combofix.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

NOTE.
If, for some reason, Combofix refuses to run, try one of the following:

1. Run Combofix from Safe Mode (How to...)

2. Delete Combofix file, download fresh one, but rename combofix.exe to yourname.exe BEFORE saving it to your desktop.
Do NOT run it yet.

Please download and run the below tool named Rkill (courtesy of BleepingComputer.com) which may help allow other programs to run.

There are 4 different versions. If one of them won't run then download and try to run the other one.

Vista and Win7 users need to right click Rkill and choose Run as Administrator

You only need to get one of these to run, not all of them. You may get warnings from your antivirus about this tool, ignore them or shutdown your antivirus.

Rkill.com
Rkill.scr
Rkill.exe

• Double-click on the Rkill desktop icon to run the tool.
  • If using Vista or Windows 7 right-click on it and choose Run As Administrator.
  • A black DOS box will briefly flash and then disappear. This is normal and indicates the tool ran successfully.
  • If not, delete the file, then download and use the one provided in Link 2.
  • If it does not work, repeat the process and attempt to use one of the remaining links until the tool runs.
  • Do not reboot until instructed.
  • If the tool does not run from any of the links provided, please let me know.

Once you've gotten one of them to run, immediately run your_name.exe by double clicking on it.

If normal mode still doesn't work, run BOTH tools from safe mode.

In case #2, please post BOTH logs, rKill and Combofix.

DO NOT make any other changes to your computer (like installing programs, using other cleaning tools, etc.), until it's officially declared clean!!!

Ok, I did that. I restored my desktop background and start menu. Combofix seemed to have fixed most of the remaining problems.

Here are the logs:
aswMBR:

<log removed>

Combofix:

<log removed>

What's next? The computer is now working well again, but I'll wait for you to say it is fixed.

Thanks so much for the help!

Good news :)

Combofix log looks good.

Download OTL to your Desktop.

• Double click on the icon to run it. Make sure all other windows are closed and to let it run uninterrupted.
  • Click the Scan All Users checkbox.
  • Under the Custom Scan box paste this in:

netsvcs
drivers32
%SYSTEMDRIVE%\*.*
%systemroot%\Fonts\*.com
%systemroot%\Fonts\*.dll
%systemroot%\Fonts\*.ini
%systemroot%\Fonts\*.ini2
%systemroot%\Fonts\*.exe
%systemroot%\system32\spool\prtprocs\w32x86\*.*
%systemroot%\REPAIR\*.bak1
%systemroot%\REPAIR\*.ini
%systemroot%\system32\*.jpg
%systemroot%\*.jpg
%systemroot%\*.png
%systemroot%\*.scr
%systemroot%\*._sy
%APPDATA%\Adobe\Update\*.*
%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Favorites\*.*
%APPDATA%\Microsoft\*.*
%PROGRAMFILES%\*.*
%APPDATA%\Update\*.*
%systemroot%\*. /mp /s
CREATERESTOREPOINT
%systemroot%\System32\config\*.sav
%PROGRAMFILES%\bak. /s
%systemroot%\system32\bak. /s
%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Start Menu\*.lnk /x
%systemroot%\system32\config\systemprofile\*.dat /x
%systemroot%\*.config
%systemroot%\system32\*.db
%APPDATA%\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch\*.lnk /x
%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\*.exe
%PROGRAMFILES%\Common Files\*.*
%systemroot%\*.src
%systemroot%\install\*.*
%systemroot%\system32\DLL\*.*
%systemroot%\system32\HelpFiles\*.*
%systemroot%\system32\rundll\*.*
%systemroot%\winn32\*.*
%systemroot%\Java\*.*
%systemroot%\system32\test\*.*
%systemroot%\system32\Rundll32\*.*
%systemroot%\AppPatch\Custom\*.*
%APPDATA%\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Recent\*.lnk /x
%PROGRAMFILES%\PC-Doctor\Downloads\*.*
%PROGRAMFILES%\Internet Explorer\*.tmp
%PROGRAMFILES%\Internet Explorer\*.dat
%USERPROFILE%\My Documents\*.exe
%USERPROFILE%\*.exe
%systemroot%\ADDINS\*.*
%systemroot%\assembly\*.bak2
%systemroot%\Config\*.*
%systemroot%\REPAIR\*.bak2
%systemroot%\SECURITY\Database\*.sdb /x
%systemroot%\SYSTEM\*.bak2
%systemroot%\Web\*.bak2
%systemroot%\Driver Cache\*.*
%PROGRAMFILES%\Mozilla Firefox\0*.exe
%ProgramFiles%\Microsoft Common\*.*
%ProgramFiles%\TinyProxy.
%USERPROFILE%\Favorites\*.url /x
%systemroot%\system32\*.bk
%systemroot%\*.te
%systemroot%\system32\system32\*.*
%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\*.dat /x
%systemroot%\system32\drivers\*.rmv
dir /b "%systemroot%\system32\*.exe" | find /i " " /c
dir /b "%systemroot%\*.exe" | find /i " " /c
%PROGRAMFILES%\Microsoft\*.*
%systemroot%\System32\Wbem\proquota.exe
%PROGRAMFILES%\Mozilla Firefox\*.dat
%USERPROFILE%\Cookies\*.txt /x
%SystemRoot%\system32\fonts\*.*
%systemroot%\system32\winlog\*.*
%systemroot%\system32\Language\*.*
%systemroot%\system32\Settings\*.*
%systemroot%\system32\*.quo
%SYSTEMROOT%\AppPatch\*.exe
%SYSTEMROOT%\inf\*.exe
%SYSTEMROOT%\Installer\*.exe
%systemroot%\system32\config\*.bak2
%systemroot%\system32\Computers\*.*
%SystemRoot%\system32\Sound\*.*
%SystemRoot%\system32\SpecialImg\*.*
%SystemRoot%\system32\code\*.*
%SystemRoot%\system32\draft\*.*
%SystemRoot%\system32\MSSSys\*.*
%ProgramFiles%\Javascript\*.*
%systemroot%\pchealth\helpctr\System\*.exe /s
%systemroot%\Web\*.exe
%systemroot%\system32\msn\*.*
%systemroot%\system32\*.tro
%AppData%\Microsoft\Installer\msupdates\*.*
%ProgramFiles%\Messenger\*.*
%systemroot%\system32\systhem32\*.*
%systemroot%\system\*.exe
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate\AU
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsUpdate\Auto Update\Results\Install|LastSuccessTime /rs
/md5start
/md5stop

• Click the Quick Scan button. Do not change any settings unless otherwise told to do so. The scan wont take long.
  • When the scan completes, it will open two notepad windows: OTL.txt and Extras.txt. These are saved in the same location as OTL.
  • Please copy (Edit->Select All, Edit->Copy) the contents of these files, one at a time, and post them back here.

OTL logs look perfectly clean.

1. Update your Java version here: http://www.java.com/en/download/installed.jsp

Note 1: UNCHECK any pre-checked toolbar and/or software offered with the Java update. The pre-checked toolbars/software are not part of the Java update.

Note 2: The Java Quick Starter (JQS.exe) adds a service to improve the initial startup time of Java applets and applications. If you don't want to run another extra service, go to Start > Control Panel > Java > Advanced > Miscellaneous and uncheck the box for Java Quick Starter. Click OK and restart your computer.

2. Now, we need to remove old Java version and its remnants...

Download JavaRa to your desktop and unzip it to its own folder
  • Run JavaRa.exe (Vista users! Right click on JavaRa.exe, click Run As Administrator), pick the language of your choice and click Select. Then click Remove Older Versions.
  • Accept any prompts.

===========================================================

Last scans....

1. Download Security Check from HERE, and save it to your Desktop.
  • Double-click SecurityCheck.exe
  • Follow the onscreen instructions inside of the black box.
  • A Notepad document should open automatically called checkup.txt; please post the contents of that document.

NOTE SecurityCheck may produce some false warning(s), so leave the results reading to me.

2. Please download Farbar Service Scanner and run it on the computer with the issue.
  • Make sure the following options are checked:
    • Internet Services
    • Windows Firewall
    • System Restore
    • Security Center
    • Windows Update
  • Press "Scan".
  • It will create a log (FSS.txt) in the same directory the tool is run.
  • Please copy and paste the log to your reply.

3. Download Temp File Cleaner (TFC)
  • Double click on TFC.exe to run the program.
  • Click on Start button to begin cleaning process.
  • TFC will close all running programs, and it may ask you to restart computer.

4. Please run a free online scan with the ESET Online Scanner

• Disable your antivirus program
  • Tick the box next to YES, I accept the Terms of Use
  • Click Start
  • Accept any security warnings from your browser.
  • Check Scan archives
  • Click Start
  • ESET will then download updates for itself, install itself, and begin scanning your computer. Please be patient as this can take some time.
  • When the scan completes, click on List of found threats
  • Click on Export to text file , and save the file to your desktop using a unique name, such as ESETScan. Include the contents of this report in your next reply.
  • NOTE. If Eset won't find any threats, it won't produce any log.

Ok, here's checkup.txt:

<log removed>

Should I be worried about the trojans it reported?

Thanks again!

Your computer is clean

1. We need to reset system restore to prevent your computer from being accidentally reinfected by using some old restore point(s). We'll create fresh, clean restore point, using following OTL script:

Run OTL

• Under the Custom Scans/Fixes box at the bottom, paste in the following:

Code:
:OTL
:Commands
[purity]
[emptytemp]
[EMPTYFLASH]
[CLEARALLRESTOREPOINTS]
[Reboot]

• Then click the Run Fix button at the top
  • Let the program run unhindered, reboot the PC when it is done
  • Post resulting log.

2. Now, we'll remove all tools, we used during our cleaning process

Clean up with OTL:

• Double-click OTL.exe to start the program.
  • Close all other programs apart from OTL as this step will require a reboot
  • On the OTL main screen, press the CLEANUP button
  • Say Yes to the prompt and then allow the program to reboot your computer.

If you still have any tools or logs leftover on your computer you can go ahead and delete those off of your computer now.

3. Make sure, Windows Updates are current.

4. If any Trojan was listed among your infection(s), make sure, you change all of your on-line important passwords (bank account(s), secured web sites, etc.) immediately!

5. Download, and install WOT (Web OF Trust): http://www.mywot.com/. It'll warn you (in most cases) about dangerous web sites.

6. Run Malwarebytes "Quick scan" once in a while to assure safety of your computer.

7. Run Temporary File Cleaner (TFC) weekly.

8. Download and install Secunia Personal Software Inspector (PSI): https://www.techspot.com/downloads/4898-secunia-personal-software-inspector-psi.html. The Secunia PSI is a FREE security tool designed to detect vulnerable and out-dated programs and plug-ins which expose your PC to attacks. Run it weekly.

9. (optional) If you want to keep all your programs up to date, download and install FileHippo Update Checker.
The Update Checker will scan your computer for installed software, check the versions and then send this information to FileHippo.com to see if there are any newer releases.

10. (Windows XP only) Run defrag at your convenience.

11. When installing\updating ANY program, make sure you always select "Custom " installation, so you can UN-check any possible "drive-by-install" (foistware), like toolbars etc., which may try to install along with the legitimate program. Do NOT click "Next" button without looking at any given page.

12. Read How did I get infected?, With steps so it does not happen again!: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic2520.html

13. Please, let me know, how your computer is doing.

OK, here's the log from OTL:

<log removed>

The computer is now working perfectly.

I really appreciate all the help you have given me.

[edited by Broni]

Back