Apple reports best-ever quarter with $28.57 billion revenue

Matthew DeCarlo

Alongside today's new product launches, Apple has announced record quarterly performance that Wall Street analysts have called "nothing short of a blowout." The company's fiscal third quarter results marked its best-ever revenue and earnings, pulling in $28.57 billion with a net profit of $7.31 billion ($7.79 per share). That's up 82% from $15.70 billion and 125% from $3.25 billion a year ago.

During the latest period, Cupertino sold 20.34 million iPhones, an increase of 142% on-year and representing a whopping $13.3 billion of the company's revenue. The company's iPad also performed well with 9.25 million units sold, up 183% and accounting for $6 billion of Apple's third quarter revenue.

Both categories trumped the total unit shipments of Macs as the company "only" moved 3.95 million systems. That's still a 14% boost from the prior year, but Apple admitted that the iPad is cutting into Mac sales. In fact, desktops and laptops accounted for less of the company's revenue than the iPad.

Meanwhile, iPod sales have slipped 20% to 7.54 million units, half of which were of the touch variety. Although sales have declined, Apple reports that the iPod still maintains some 70% of the MP3 player market. The company's iTunes media platform raked in some $1.4 billion, up 36% year-over-year.

"We're thrilled to deliver our best quarter ever," said CEO Steve Jobs. Moving forward, Apple expects to post a revenue of $25 billion with diluted earnings per share around $5.50 in the next quarter. You can read the full release here or listen to the conference call (an hour long and requires QuickTime).

Permalink to story.

Why is it sad? Because they charge so much for their products or because they're made in chinese sweatshops? Can't knock em for being consistently first to market with pretty cool gadgets though.

I looked up what google and microsoft made compared to apple for the 1st quarter and google only had 1.8 bln profit, while MS was at 5.2 bln and Apple was at 5.8. Will have to wait for others to release 2nd quarter numbers to compare.

What I really want to know is... Does Steve Jobs have teeth?

I wish that Android would sew the **** out of Apple for copying Android's slide-down notifications bar! That's just sad...

Guest said:
I wish that Android would sew the **** out of Apple
So, did you have a certain color of thread or fabric in mind? I bet Android (which is not a company) could make Apple simply faaaabulous!

ddg4005 said:
Greedy-**s companies making huge profits; what else is new?

Well... it took 6 posts before someone came out calling a successful company greedy. Usually it's one of the first posts.

I can't speak for you ddg, but I sure liked it better two years ago when those greedy companies weren't making huge profits. Back when there were layoffs, pension funds were bankrupt, and people were losing their homes. Of course all that happened because of greedy companies didn't it?

Would you prefer they wasted their money so they had no profit, or are you just upset you're not getting any of it?

Apple has never gotten a single penny of mine, which is a source of emormous personal satisfaction.

I hope all iPhone batteries die at the same time, the phones have to be shipped back to China, and simultaneously, somebody forgets to fill the world's food vending machines.

That way, the rest of us would be safe driving in traffic, and most of the Apholians would simply die of starvation.

Words cannot describe how much I hate apple and it's sheep customers who time and again burn they're money on such overpriced garbage products.

This just In: ' Apple reports more silly people buying our silly over priced objects that we make obsolete once every 4-6 months, Steve jobs says " thank you silly people" .'

I don't quite see why iSheep get all giddy when they see these numbers. (not here maybe, but elsewhere on the interwebs)

When Shell or BP post these numbers, they complain about the price of gas. When Apple posts them, they're proud.

When Apple has the highest profit per device, by a huge margin, how is that good for the consumer? I could see grudgingly accepting them due to the satisfaction you get out your purchase, but to actually get happy that Apple is making such huge profits seems a bit masochistic.

You can't knock them for doing what all businesses want to do. Make more $$$$$$$.

Iis sad, because it is all made in China.

They are not alone.
HP, Dell are all gearing up to proiduce more tablets---Just where they will be made--China.
HP plans to spend TONS of money hiring engineers and building facilities to gear
up for Cloud Computing. Guess where the hiring will happen and the facilities built--China.

I wander how many American coders worked on Lion and how many workimng on Windows 8?

My son-in-law has a small business selling utility trailer . Over the last 7 years the company that makes them (American) has shifted to all Chinese steel.

I'm really concerned for the future of Americans.

Guest said:
Way too many haters.
Yeah kinda agree, i am by no means a apple fan boy would actually fall more into the hater category, but I can appreciate a business thats doing very well in sales and producing products.

It does annoy me that more and more people keep thinking that Apple is gods gift to mankind though. Steve Jobs should write a book on how he pulled it off.

Back