TechSpot

Apple's iOS 4 arrives for newer iPhone, iPod touch models

By Jos
Jun 21, 2010
  1. Attention iPhone and iPod touch owners: Apple's newly minted iOS 4 is now ready to be downloaded and installed on your device. The latest release will let you use folders to organize your apps, jump into the unified email inbox, download and read ebooks, and more. Some of its features are limited to new hardware in the upcoming iPhone 4, such as FaceTime video calling, while others (like multitasking) are available on last year's iPhone 3GS and third-gen iPod touch.

Read the whole story

2. Reloader2

Reloader2 TS Rookie Posts: 66

Uhh shiny :D

3. Plan on spending a few hours or 1/2 day to install the new update

4. love the new folders, makes the home screen nice and organized.

5. princeton

princeton TS Addict Posts: 1,716

Multitasking? My jailbroken touch has done that for around a year now.

6. Nice update for Apple, but nothing really new that hasn't already been around other phones. Nice to see Apple finally catching up with everyone else. Makes using my iTouch easier and more organize. It's about time.

7. @Guest no. 1

It took 45 minutes to complete everything on the iPod Touch. It only takes longer if the device is has a lot of apps that need to be backup and then restored. Then it will take a few hours.

8. Cueto_99

Cueto_99 TS Enthusiast Posts: 248   +12

Works ok, no flaws or bugs...

9. Burty117

Burty117 TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,536   +327

The OS is great! not too much differnce but the multi-tasking works very well! plus you can now shutdown stuff! for example, you open safari or the phone book, close it then when you re-open you are just on a paused menu or in safari's case still loading, taking memory and power, but now you can hold down the app in question within the multi-tasking pane (double click centre button) and then hold down on the app you want to close and it does!

Overall I haven't seen any issue with the battery (actually i think i've saved a bit of battery!)

and it seems to be all stable, overall very impressed!

I have a 3GS and seems to work fine.

10. RealXboxMaster

RealXboxMaster TS Rookie Posts: 139

OLD news. Palm phones already had this a little over a year.

11. mattfrompa

mattfrompa TS Maniac Posts: 482   +8

multitasking?...the thing Apple said would kill the battery now apparently won't? I don't own any current apple products, but I am always glad to see users get access to more features for free. So kudos for that.

12. @RealXboxMaster Wow Palm runs on IOS4 ??

13. tengeta

tengeta TS Enthusiast Posts: 632

I love how Apple talks about the environment so much, and then makes sure its entire consumer base feels pressure to upgrade devices and chuck the "old" ones after every 2 years.

14. Bluetooth still out of sync, hoped they would fix the problem with this OS upgrade, but sadly not, maybe 5.0. Also I've been reading that iTouch 3rd gen has wireless-N but is capped at wireless-G. anyone know whether or not it now unlocked.

15. Burty117

Burty117 TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,536   +327

True but I also have had expensive Nokias and HTC's yet I would upgrade them after 2 years?

Although I see your Point, Nokia never preassured me into as Apple try their absolute hardest ;)

16. Still proud that my 3 year old Windows Mobile phone can beat an Iphone 4. Thank you Samsung, also... thank you Adobe for announcing you will be developing flash 10.1 for windows mobile devices :) hehe

17. No wireless N on my 64 gb iPod touch 3g...dissapointed

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.