Asus Crosshair IV Formula NB problem

red1776

Hey gang,
I figured there may be a few of these purchased by TS members so Thought I would give a heads up. I read about the PWR/NB/SB heatpipe/heatsink assembly standoffs being the incorrect height and not allowing full contact to the chipsets. I checked mine out of the box and indeed it was the case of the one I purchased 7/16 or so. Many are getting them this way and filing,grinding, or milling them down. I milled them down .0625 inch and it left a flush Thermal compound pattern. you do not have to be hyper precise as the screws from the back of the MB are spring resisted, but you do need to take enough off. I would suggest at least checking this before assembly if only to replace the deplorable thermal pad they put on it from the factory. The difference for the boards with the bad standoffs and the correct ones (or fixed) is around 35C.

Interesting.

I would've thought that such a high end hardware would have better QC than this.

Also, proof that Asus branded motherboards shouldn't automatically be considered better than other brands. Nothing more annoying than Asus fanbois saying their mobos are better just because its Asus....

Back