ATI Radeon HD 5770 Review

Julio Franco

Staff member
Continuing with the successful rollout of its Radeon HD 5000 series, AMD is now moving to attack the sub-$200 market, and hopes to keep the momentum going with the Radeon HD 5770 and 5750. Codenamed Juniper XT and Juniper LE, respectively, the first is said to cost just $160, while the lower-end 5750 will cost between $110 and $130 depending on memory configuration.

Read the full review at:
https://www.techspot.com/review/209-ati-radeon-hd-5770/

Please leave your feedback here.

AMD really pushing their products into the market, nice move!

nVidia need to work hard on their Fermi...

It would be nice if Nvidia would even make a refresh for DX11, so we would see more games in development using it.

They seem to be hooked on just making new Ion stuff and targeting low-profile systems.
I'd assume there also still making pretty good money from PS3 GTX Card sells to sony as well.

It's a decent card, but even at its price point nowhere near as attractive as the HD 5850.

In your opinion which card would be a better pick now, the HD 4870 or the HD 5770?

I think the conclusion says it all, only the prospective buyer can decide between those two depending on what has more weight to him.

5770 = Newer feature set, lower power consumption, cooler running.
4870 = A bit more horsepower, older card that can be bought at a discount, probably until inventory runs out.

It's nice to see the Radeon cards competing with the top Nvidia cards again. I thought about picking up the new 5870 or 5970 but unfortunately they are out of stock everywhere!
My friend just got a new PC with this Radeon 5770 card and it has been performing very well so far in all the games he's played.

what are those switches on the back side of the circuit board for? they look like dip switches...

Fair enough, I am tilting towards making a decision on replacing my aging EVGA 9600GT (512mb) with Radeon 5770 (1GB).

PSU

Hi
I have a 400W PSu which peaks upto 450W.
And that is the primary reason I'm settling for the 5750 instead of 4870 or 260.
Do I still need to upgrade my PSU?
Thanks in advance.

I have a 450w Corsair PSU and a 5770 and I've had no problems with it.

Is the 5770 a good choice for the Dell XPS 9000? I could not find out the power supply capacity of the 9000. Hoping you know it.

Is the 5770 a good choice for the Dell XPS 9000? I could not find out the power supply capacity of the 9000. Hoping you know it.

Please start your own thread, that way you will have better chance of getting appropriate advice along with complete system specs/service tag etc.

As an FYI regarding the XPS 9000, it uses a 475W power supply sustained. I own the system and am looking to upgrade the meager 4350 Radeon they put in it. There is also a 6 pin and a 6+2 pin already connected from the power supply so you can go average or high end if necessary.

Has anyone else had a problem with the antec true power 550w psu and the ati 5770 running with an i7 930 and win7 64? This is my second psu from newegg I had to rma the first one thinking it was doa. My computer would post with no video to the card...is it a compatibility issue? when I installed a much cheaper psu it works fine however I would really like a better quality instead of the cheap $25.00 one.

Any help or suggestions on a PSU?

Thank you in advance,

Mike

I have a Radeon HD 5770 video card on a Dell XPS 9000 running Windows 7 64 bit. Had the PC since march. It's been nothing short of a disaster. I'm now on to my 4th HD 5770. Each one fails in various ways, all of which cause the screen to show a jumbled mess for a few seconds followed by a complete PC freeze or an automatic re-boot.

Keep right away fjrom the HD 5770 -- I found it runs OK for a week or up to a month, then fails. I'm not the only one with these problems either. Do a search -- the card is a complete disgrace.

Which brand you are using? I guess perhaps its more of an issue with a bad batch from an manufacturer.

@guest 1
You should get your antec PSU get checked that whether there is an issue with it.

Having had a few problematic HD 5770's I'd probably contact the vendor for a BIOS update as a matter of course if the card is of reference design...being Dell I'd assume the original card and it's replacements are all reference design made my PC Partner - who make all AMD's reference cards and are Sapphire's parent company.
The original BIOS on some of these early cards requires voltage modification for stability (hence the BIOS flash). The second revision of these cards- the individual card makers designs-(much like the HD 5970/5870/5850/5830) do not seem to suffer greatly from the same faults. I would still view the card as an excellent lower (priced) mainstream graphics solution that has an excellent price/performance ratio- especially if used in a Crossfire setup.

could this card be used for 3d programs (Maya, Motionbuilder, Mudbox, Cinema 4d, etc.) and video editing? (doubt the card actually affects the video editing part.

I have a AMD x6 1090T
and 8gb of DDR3 1333 ram
if that matters.

THANK YOU :)

Back