AVG 2012

circusboy01

I installed AVG 2012 about a week ago, because PCWorld did a comparison test, and AVG 2012 got the highest marks for a free antivirus. What was most impressive to me was. " Percentage of
active malware disabled. 100% "
I e-mailed a friend and told him about it. He e-mail back and said that he had heard a lot of bad things about it. ( Mostly from threads over at WorldStart ) Since I installed it. It sends me a warning at least twice a day saying "Google is using too much memory. " Then it recommends
that I shut it down and turn it on again." ( or words to that effect.) Also I will get messages that the
Skype something , and other things ( can't remember what. ) has crashed and I won't even be using Skype, or whatever else might have crashed. Is this a separate problem? Or could it have something to do with AVG? Don't want to get rid of AVG unless I have to. Thanks for any info.

This doesn't surprise me about AVG being the possible culprit. I've been reading various forums for the past four years and have heard horror stories about AVG. I personally tried AVG myself back 2009 and quickly removed the software.

You can try this site for another opinion. http://www.av-comparatives.org/
On this site you will find independent comparatives of Anti-Virus software. All products listed in our comparatives are already a selection of some very good anti-virus products. In order to get included in our main tests, vendors must fulfill various conditions and minimum requirements.

We here at TS have helped a number of people who have had issues with AVG. It used to be a great product but as cliffordcooley points out the product has had nothing but issues for the past four years.

We here at TS have helped a number of people who have had issues with AVG. It used to be a great product but as cliffordcooley points out the product has had nothing but issues for the past four years.
Thanks everyone I'm going to bed now but I will uninstall AVG first thing tomorrow. Guess I'll re-install Avast. Wonder how AVG won PCWorld's comparison? I know sometime they pay the magazine off. Perhaps this was one of those times.

Did you uninstall AVAST properly using a specialized tool before installing AVG? If not, that could account for some of the issues you’re facing.

I’ve never used AVG but have also heard of issues with it, though not recently. If you’re not happy with it, going back to AVAST would be reasonable action, given that you’re familiar with it and it will give you peace of mind. But make sure you uninstall AVG properly first. And restart the computer.

Another alternative to consider is to try AVIRA, which has been consistently good in tests. In fact, it came first in a recent comparison sponsored by consumers associations.

Just use an uninstallation tool (like IObit Uninstaller) to get rid of AVG. And get Avira. Even I replaced Avast (which had replaced AVG) with it. Faster, lightweight, and accurate.

You might consider going to MSE . Download/install it , update it & if I'm not incorrect, it auto scans every Sunday by default but you can change it to your liking. I set mine to scan every Wednesday night. Just remember, the PC HAS TO BE ON to auto scan/update.:)

Did you uninstall AVAST properly using a specialized tool before installing AVG? If not, that could account for some of the issues you’re facing.

I’ve never used AVG but have also heard of issues with it, though not recently. If you’re not happy with it, going back to AVAST would be reasonable action, given that you’re familiar with it and it will give you peace of mind. But make sure you uninstall AVG properly first. And restart the computer.

Another alternative to consider is to try AVIRA, which has been consistently good in tests. In fact, it came first in a recent comparison sponsored by consumers associations.

I uninstalled Avast using Revo Uninstaller. It searches out all the left overs. Things work okay with Avast.Doesn't give me any problems, and doesn't seem to slow things down. But I'm curious about Avira. I think I'll uninstall Avast and give Avira a try if I don't like it I'll just go back to Avast.

Just use an uninstallation tool (like IObit Uninstaller) to get rid of AVG. And get Avira. Even I replaced Avast (which had replaced AVG) with it. Faster, lightweight, and accurate.

Does Iobit do a better job of uninstalling then Revo? If so. Just for AVG, or for everything. Oh. on lobit is that a small l or a capital I? Thanks.

You might consider going to MSE . Download/install it , update it & if I'm not incorrect, it auto scans every Sunday by default but you can change it to your liking. I set mine to scan every Wednesday night. Just remember, the PC HAS TO BE ON to auto scan/update.:)

Since I've dercided to do some comparison test. Maybe I'll throw MSE into the mix Thanks

I guess I will jump on board the band wagon here and join the singing and songs about Microsoft Security Essentials. I used to be a die hard nut for AVG. Back in the day when I first started to use it it was great, for being free is was like one of the best. But as the years have gone by AVG has changed a lot of things. Back in 2005 AVG was just full on power, now, AVG has become very commercialized, very social network concerned and always trying to sell it's free download users an upgrade that you need to pay for. Since the introduction of Microsoft Security Essentials, I've never looked back, nor have I used anything else. I like the fact that this is a Microsoft security program written for Microsoft Windows, to me it appears purposely designed to just gel right into Windows without any verse or adverse reactions. Plus I like the fact that Microsoft Security Essentials isn't always trying to sell me something! It isn't always flashing an advertisement telling me "for full security protection, upgrade to our professional version"! With Microsoft Security Essentials there's no advertising, no compatibility concerns and more importantly no bloatware!

Help! Thought AVG Was gone. Can't uninstall AVG 2012Tried Programs and features (add/remove for those who don't have W7.)
I keep getting a pop up that says "Please wait until the current program is finished uninstalling, or being changed."
As far as I can tell. There is no program being uninstalled or changed. It's not in Revo uninstaller so I can't use it.
Almost forgot AVG is not working, so I guess there's only left overs left.
In Iobit uninstall I tried standard. Little circle just kept spinning. Tried advanced, but it just kept going back to standard. Couldn't try Iobit forced uninstall, because I didn't knowFile full path,or Programs exact name. Typed AVG 2012 in the start search window.got 3 AVG 2012s and 1 Bugreport clicked on all 4 nothing happened. tried recover 2 time, different restore points. to no avail.
Some how I ended up at Action Center.It showed that both AVG and Windows Defender were off couldn't turn on AVG, so I turned on and updated Windows Defender PC has been working slow,with some things not opening at all, since this problem started, and turning on Windows defender didn't help. So I tried another restore point.AVG still wont work or uninstall, and PC is still running slow. I probably turned Windows Defender off when I did the last Restore.So I am going to post this and see if I can turn on Windows Defender again. That way I will have protection while you guys are helping me fix my problem. Thank you. Once again PS Dude I should have listened to you when you warned me about AVG.

Turns out I'm having about the same problem with Zone Alarm Firewall as I'm having with AVG . Difference is ZA isn't showing up anywhere. But I started to download PCTools firewall and I got a conflicting with ZA message. Went ahead and finished installing PCTools. Installed just fine. So I went to action center where I saw that AVG was off, and turned off ZA. Now everything is working okay I've got MSE and PCTools protecting me, and AVG and ZA turned off.I wish I could uninstall them. But this will have to do for now. Oh remember I told you programs and features kept telling me"Please wait until currant program is finished uninstalling or being changed." It's doing it no matter what I try to uninstall, not just AVG.

Does Iobit do a better job of uninstalling then Revo? If so. Just for AVG, or for everything. Oh. on lobit is that a small l or a capital I? Thanks.
I don't use Revo, but I find it very IObit very convenient. Easy to use, and has a registry cleaning feature after uninstallation.
For your ease, here's the link.
After all, to each his own. Once IObit does something stupid, I'll switch to Revo. ;)

Regards,
Marnomancer.

Ok, I haven't read this thread word for word,but if you don't have the AVG uninstaller, try this http://www.avg.com/ca-en/utilities After I use REVO to uninstall anything, I do a system search to remove left overs. Good luck.

Once you get your AVG problem taken care of, I'd strongly suggest you remove ZA firewall & go with the Windows7 firewall. I understand ZA is bloated.

Ok, I haven't read this thread word for word,but if you don't have the AVG uninstaller, try this http://www.avg.com/ca-en/utilities After I use REVO to uninstall anything, I do a system search to remove left overs. Good luck.

You're one page and one post too slow:D Got the link from the last post on page one, and AVG is gone, gone and GONE.
You have to do a system search, after you use Revo to get rid of left overs? Even if you use the advanced setting?

Once you get your AVG problem taken care of, I'd strongly suggest you remove ZA firewall & go with the Windows7 firewall. I understand ZA is bloated.

I am using the W7 firewall ZA is just somewhere in my system, and it tried, without success, to block me from installing W7 firewall.I think I will uninstall W7F and install it again. if ZA tries to block it again I will one of the new link I got to get rid of it.

You're one page and one post too slow:D Got the link from the last post on page one, and AVG is gone, gone and GONE.
You have to do a system search, after you use Revo to get rid of left overs? Even if you use the advanced setting?
Thats ok. As long as ya got it:)

I am using the W7 firewall ZA is just somewhere in my system, and it tried, without success, to block me from installing W7 firewall.I think I will uninstall W7F and install it again. if ZA tries to block it again I will one of the new link I got to get rid of it.
Its my understanding the W7 firewall is part of the OS & I know of no one that is using anything but it on their W7.
Not on W7,but I've used ZA & told it was bloated so I dumped it & went to PC Tools firewall plus which gave me sporadic problems so I went to Comodo & so far its been great.
But,its your choice.

Its my understanding the W7 firewall is part of the OS & I know of no one that is using anything but it on their W7.
Not on W7,but I've used ZA & told it was bloated so I dumped it & went to PC Tools firewall plus which gave me sporadic problems so I went to Comodo & so far its been great.
But,its your choice.

Yes W7 Firewall is part of the OS. Something that I had forgotten.
Everything is okay now. W7F is running, MSE is running, and everything is great.

Thanks everyone.I thought My PC was probably messed up, and I might have to bring it back to factory settings, which would mean I would have to re-download almost 1000 songs, from my CDs, and about 100 Youtube videos. But all I needed was an AVG uninstaller.Pc ir running faster ans better than ever I am a ;0) man..

Back