Best Buy now buying used games in stores

By Matthew
Aug 26, 2010
Post New Reply
  1. Jumpstarting its second-hand game business, Best Buy has expanded its online trade-in program to nearly 600 stores with more locations coming soon. Beginning this Sunday, August 29, you'll be able to haul your pre-owned games to a participating store, waltz up to the customer service desk, and fork them over for a Best Buy gift card.

Read the whole story
  2. gobbybobby

gobbybobby TechSpot Maniac Posts: 529

3. Darkshadoe

Darkshadoe TechSpot Maniac Posts: 451   +62

Another company to add to my "do not buy from" list

1. EA
    2. Activision
    3. Ubisoft
    4. THQ
  4. KG363

KG363 TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 523   +9

who's left?
    Valve? lol
  5. Tekkaraiden

Tekkaraiden TechSpot Maniac Posts: 879   +52

It was only a matter of time.
  6. Damn, I used to think Best Buy had some sort of standards. $8 for Mass Effect 2 yet they turn around and sell it for $20-$35. Hopefully Newegg doesn't get into these marketing scams or I'll have nowhere to buy my computer hardware.
  7. gobbybobby

gobbybobby TechSpot Maniac Posts: 529

EA, Activision, and ubi make up a lot of games! EA have got better recently. They still have far to go. Activision well, Im not buying as game by them (tho ill buy whatever Bungie make) THQ. Meh there ok. I buy most PC games via Steam so can't resell em, but if a games good I don't sell. Hell with xbox 360 games the thing eats disks so u end up buying 3/4 copys!
  8. MrAnderson

MrAnderson TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 486   +10

For GameStop to say they hate their most lucrative line of business is ridiculous. From the age of Funcoland they have been capitalizing on resale of games. That is the only reason why the game stores can stay open. The profit margins are big enough to keep them afloat. I wonder how they measure the value of a game; if that were transparent to the gamer selling his game, maybe we would trust them more. Some people would be better off selling their games on eBay or Craig’s list. Also, their might be legal ramifications regarding the publishers selling games and recharging for use of the game. I suppose the publishers would have to name the rechargeable aspect of the game in such a way that they state it is a non-transferable lifetime subscription or something to that affect.
  9. Darkshadoe

Darkshadoe TechSpot Maniac Posts: 451   +62

Well..at least Valve doesn't treat their customers like crap.

THQ is trying to see how many times it can sell the Brooklyn Bridge.

Next, other business will be adopting this form of consumer extortion.
  10. yumdi

yumdi Newcomer, in training

Recycling is a great moneysaver - however, Vista 64 won't play most, nor will Win7. I know, because I have about 60 xp games and 9 new for Vista, none of which will play, nor can I get answers on a fix. Brand new computer with all the whistles.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.