TechSpot

Best Socket 939 CPU upgrade?

By Dave-427SS
Feb 2, 2007
  1. Just curious as to some recommendations for a CPU upgrade. I do business and some gaming (Battlefield 2). I've upgraded the ram and vid card (specs below), and now I'd like to grab a new CPU.

Any thoughts?

thanks

-----------------------------------------
    My Specs -
    CPU - AMD 3500+ 2.2GHz
    MoBo - Asus A8N SLI Deluxe
    RAM - 2GB Patriot PC4000 500MHz
    GPU - Nvidia GeForce 7950GT
    HD - Maxtor 6B300SO
    Sound - Internal

-

2. nickslick74

nickslick74 TS Rookie Posts: 575

3. ColdFusion1990

ColdFusion1990 TS Rookie Posts: 124

4. Dave-427SS

Dave-427SS TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 25

Thanks gents, I have kinda been looking at something along those lines. I can spend more money, that's not the issue.

Do you think Battlefield 2 responds better to single or dual core chip? I have read that the game is setup for single core CPU and does NOT take advantage of dual core............................

-

5. nickslick74

Yes, there are only a few games right now that take advantage of dual core cpu's and I don't believe that BF2 is one of them. So you wouldn't really notice much, if any, difference in that game with a single or dual core rated at the same speed. However, you would be futureproofing yourself somewhat by getting a dual core since new games and applications will be written to use both cores.

6. raybay

raybay TS Evangelist Posts: 7,241   +9

Go for the leading edge of the technology, and right now Dual Core is it... probably well into the future.

7. Dave-427SS

Kinda sounds like I just might be better off buying another vid card and go SLI?

-

8. nickslick74

That would be pretty sweet also.

9. foozy

foozy TS Rookie Posts: 139

There arn't a lot of good cards to go SLI with right now though, especially with Vista theres going to be a major change in video card architecture pretty soon. I'd just buy an 8800 if you're going to upgrade, 7950 seems fine to me though.

10. JimShady23

JimShady23 TS Maniac Posts: 373

11. Dave-427SS

Pretty good idea, thanks! Are there any caveats to buying this CPU on eBay?

-

12. JimShady23

JimShady23 TS Maniac Posts: 373

Not Really

Just make sure that the seller has a good feedback and watch out for "All Sale Are Final" At minimum make sure they have a DOA garuntee....

13. Rage_3K_Moiz

Rage_3K_Moiz Sith Lord Posts: 5,429   +27

Even the FX-55 would give you very good gaming performance and decent enough performance for everything else like video editing etc. Newegg has one for $240 I think.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.