BFG 8800GT OC2 temperatures

Status
Not open for further replies.

pingpongmury

im just wondering if my GPU temps are decent or high compared to anyone else who has the card. I'm running x2 60mm fans, x1 80mm fan @ about 2400rpm, x1 120mm fan @ about 3800rpm, and the fan on the card running @ 60% using rivatuner.

even with all of that SpeedFan still says my card idles at around 64C and running FarCry 2 all settings max with 2AA i get around 75C

everything else runs cool

if these temps are in fact high im either going to put in a 120mm fan in the side of my case or use a PCI slot fan to help with the temps.

any suggestions or temp comparisons would help out a lot

I run two of those in SLI and idle with 30% gpu fan speed they idle 71C and 62C, load playing Crysis they can reach 90C. I have a bunch of case fans but they have minimal effect just speed up the video cards fans themselves I find it gives a better result.

more case fans are going to have little effect on your high idle temps. you might try removing the HS/fan and applying some quality thermal compound, i do this with every graphics card i deal with and am suprised at some of the junk that some of the different vendors use between the HS and the GPU. many times it lowers the idle temp by 10-20c

on one of my setups i do, i took a lousy visiontek hs/fan off and put on a passive HS. placed a antec v-cool under it and idle temp went from 62c-36c, new thermal compound as well

i cleaned the hell out of the case and sped up my fan speed to 75% on the card itself and it lowerd to around 50c idle

red1776, what is an "HC"

If you mean 'HS' , that means heat sink. sorry about that, ya get used to using abbreviations on here.

its just a system blower style fan that that takes up a pci slot ( but mine has fancy blue LED's lol ,took the temp down another 7c

Those temps are fine. 8800s can run pretty hot without too many problems. I set the fan speed on my 8800GTS 512s to auto, and the drivers don't speed the fans up until the cards are past 85C.

Yeah I know what you mean Metal, my ATI's in theory can run up to 110c (according to the manuf) i just have a natural dislike for a gpu you can boil water on. BTW do you happen to know if keeping them cooler,even if 90c is in acceptable limits, increases the lifespan?

It might, but not by much I'd imagine. Temperature doesn't really directly affect the life of a chip like voltage and clocks do. Even an overclocked and overvolted chip will still last 4-5 years, longer than its useful lifespan.

i took a look at Tedster's post and i've seen my CPU hit -2C up to 20C, not anywhere near the 60C in his post. and im running a stock fan and heatsink sooo...

i might just have **** temperature diodes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back